Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
hi
i finally got my replacement iMac today, and the harddrive noise is not there like the faulty one .. great .. the fan is noticable like the faulty one which is probably normal i can live with that ... though i couldnt hear a fan noise in the old version one on sale at pcworld last week even when i put my head to the bottom of the screen.

my reason for posting is just to ask you about your screens.
the faulty iMac had an amazingly bright screen, when on full it was really mega bright! i put it down to notch 2 and it was perfectly the right brightness,
with my new replacement, i have to put the brightness to full to have it bright enough ... when its on notch 2 its really dark.

just wondered what notch you guys put your brightness on and does you imac look really really bright on full ?

thanks in advance

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I find 4 is about right for me, altho' perhaps 5 or 6 would be OK, full is really glary.

I guess everyone has different ideas about how bright they like the screen?

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I find 4 is about right for me, altho' perhaps 5 or 6 would be OK, full is really glary.

I guess everyone has different ideas about how bright they like the screen?

sounds like the faulty mac i had ... was nice and bright, but this new one has to be on full to look normal :-(

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I have mine at a little less than half. And that's bright enough. My old 2009 iMac was all the way down (it was the 24" model) and at times I wish I could make it dim a little more.

I usually find iMac screens very bright. Maybe there's something going on with your new panel.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I have mine at a little less than half. And that's bright enough. My old 2009 iMac was all the way down (it was the 24" model) and at times I wish I could make it dim a little more.

I usually find iMac screens very bright. Maybe there's something going on with your new panel.

yeah , im not sure .. maybe the screen on the first imac which was faulty with hardrive noise also has a fault with screen brightness ..it was really bright though! .. not that i would want to have it full bright ness .. just thought maybe it would be better for the imac to have the screen lower than on full with this new lower bright replacement ..

i might be too picky .. thats why i thought id ask to see if people noticed the new imac screen was amazingly bright ?

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
yeah , im not sure .. maybe the screen on the first imac which was faulty with hardrive noise also has a fault with screen brightness ..it was really bright though! .. not that i would want to have it full bright ness .. just thought maybe it would be better for the imac to have the screen lower than on full with this new lower bright replacement ..

i might be too picky .. thats why i thought id ask to see if people noticed the new imac screen was amazingly bright ?

so did you keep your iMac?

i just got a new iMac and noticed brightness is not as powerful, i have to go nearly to full

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.