Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
While RFID might work in that application it will still have some limitations.

Can't be used by all phones, its only capable of one way communication as a transmitter. Even NFC is capable of two way data transfer.

So in certain situations it won't be able to offer intelligent interaction as needed. Cost might be a factor in the previous examples I have given.

The range is very good. But by adding more iBeacons will increase coverage.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
While RFID might work in that application it will still have some limitations.

Can't be used by all phones, its only capable of one way communication as a transmitter. Even NFC is capable of two way data transfer.

So in certain situations it won't be able to offer intelligent interaction as needed. Cost might be a factor in the previous examples I have given.

The range is very good. But by adding more iBeacons will increase coverage.

It can certainly be used by more phones than iBeacons can. Most Android phones have RFID built in, no iPhone does.

NFC is RFID. NFC defines the communications protocol, RFID is the physical layer. RFID is most definitely capable of full duplex transmission (i.e. transmit & receive).

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
The cost of passive tags start to get expensive as you would need one for every product sold which would be a reoccurring yearly expense. At 15 cents a piece a store with 5,000 items would cost an additional expense of $750.00. Then additional tags are then needed as you restock the store.

I'm not an expert in RFID tech, but why would you need to take each item? if the purpose of the RFID is to provide location services much like iBeacon (so a consumer could be guided to a section within a store that sells the shoes he/she wants to buy), couldn't the store just place a few RFIDs on the shelves?

Or in the case of the Bar Kick, they could just place a few RFIDs throughout their establishment to "activate" the subscription to those magazines.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Just to be clear, that sticknfind pictured does not actually send iBeacon formatted packets. You need to use their SDK in your application to "hear" these devices.

Actually the StickNFind devices can be configured to transmit as an iBeacon. Their SDK is pretty ******, but it does exist.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
It can certainly be used by more phones than iBeacons can. Most Android phones have RFID built in, no iPhone does.

NFC is RFID. NFC defines the communications protocol, RFID is the physical layer. RFID is most definitely capable of full duplex transmission (i.e. transmit & receive).

RFID & NFC are not exactly the same thing. Supposedly NFC is a subset of RFID. While I'm not that familiar with RFID, what I've been reading it only acts as a transmitter, not as a receiver.

Now perhaps just recently has been new technology to the RFID standard that allows it to do this. But considering RFID was designed primarily for tracking inventory not sure if receiving data would be beneficial in that regard.

NFC also primarily works on one frequency where RFID can use multiple frequencies depending on the tag, which also brings up the question if some RFID frequencies that can't be read by NFC.

It might also be possible for a device sending out a signal to an RFID device, by which the RFID tag might signal back with a pre-recorded response. But I'm skeptical if it would give back any sort of intelligent response based on what the user may want. Essentially it would just transmit the same message it was encoded with.

I'm not an expert in RFID tech, but why would you need to take each item? if the purpose of the RFID is to provide location services much like iBeacon (so a consumer could be guided to a section within a store that sells the shoes he/she wants to buy), couldn't the store just place a few RFIDs on the shelves?

Or in the case of the Bar Kick, they could just place a few RFIDs throughout their establishment to "activate" the subscription to those magazines.

Not really an expert either but remember both technologies were originally designed for different applications. RFID for tracking inventory, iBeacon for location of the shoppers position and offering coupons & sales information and numerous other uses not yet identified. So still a lot of questions need to be answered how possible and effective it will be in modifying RFID for this purpose.

How can there be more Android phones using NFC, when both Android & iPhone can both use LE BlueTooth? iPhone has never used NFC up to now and may never use it. Support for LE Bluetooth has started to be used in Android phones now. Not widely adopted I think, but will expand in the phones and support in Android.

Last edited:

XiXora

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Does this need net access? I didn't have signal in Bar Kick yesterday. I also didn't see anything about this…

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So it automatically connects, no thanks...

This is basically like a open Wi-fi. + the security of Bluetooth...

I don't care how secure is it, i only wanna connect when i say so. :p

No-one can change that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.