Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some iTunes and App Store users are currently unable to log into their accounts using their Apple IDs, receiving a the following error when attempting to sign in: "FATAL::Unable to process your request. Please try again."

The problem, which seems to have originated last night, is ongoing according to a thread on Apple's online Support Communities and multiple users on MacRumors' forums. The error occurs on both mobile devices and Macs and according to user reports, it is affecting the App Store, the Mac App Store, the iTunes Store, and the iBookstore.

fatalituneserror.jpg
Apple's System Status page has thus far not reported any issues, but according to one MacRumors reader who contacted AppleCare, there have been ongoing problems with Apple ID logins. Yesterday, some users were also getting a different error: "This Apple ID cannot be used for the iTunes Store. Please enter another Apple ID."

The multipage thread on Apple's support forums suggests that the issue is fairly widespread and there appears to be no fix available at this time. Multiple users have reported the issue to Apple and the company appears to be aware of the problem.

Update: A number of users are reporting that the issue has been fixed and their accounts are now working normally again.

Article Link: Some Users Unable to Log In to App Store Due to 'FATAL' Error [Updated]

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
About time you're reporting this! This problem is extremely widespread and has been going on since yesterday.

I'm 24 hours unable to sign in to the store. Not cool Apple!

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I got the same error on my Apple TV this morning when I wanted to watch a TV show I already owned! This, of course, is part of the problem of the whole streaming model of Apple TV, rather than the old style where the show would actually be stored locally. Why should I have to log in every time I want to watch or listen to something I already own?

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
me too

i was getting the error last night. i signed out of app store and signed in again on my iPhone then it worked

aottke

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Someone did reply with a potential fix (and it worked for me) in the forums last night. You need to go to create a new apple ID within iTunes, pass the part where you accept the terms and conditions, and then don't proceed with creating a new ID, but instead log back into your old one.

It seems to want people to accept terms and conditions again...weird fluke, but at least the fix worked for now...

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
restore from iCloud backup, major errors...

Got my 5s replaced last night. Would not restore anything due to This apple id cannot be used for purchases, please choose another id.

Well, this was my only apple ID. Genius said happened all day, and switched the date to 12/11/13, and the restore took.

There is something amiss in the apple cloud.

MacFyffe

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Same Problem Here

Just got my new iPad Mini Retina in … and CAN'T USE IT because of this error.

The most frustrating part is that Apple does know about this, and knows that its a problem on their end and yet there is no admission at http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ so we are left to search the internet for hours to see if it is our problem or not.

Just put a notification up there, that's what the System Status page is there for after all.

In the meantime, I'm getting NO work done.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
thank god, i thought i was going nuts. set up a new apple ID for a buddy that im setting up a new mac mini for. I *thought* I forgot what i set the password to for his Apple ID. tried recovering and the apple store started saying all kinds of authentication errors and such. when i tried to recover the password, it said the answers i gave for the security questions were wrong... which was wrong in and of itself. then it tried telling me the birthday on the account was wrong.

glad to hear im not actually insane.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I have been having this problem on my new iPad Air. I work around it by getting the desired app on my phone first. After that I can download it on my iPad. Doesn't help in all cases, but for me it makes this issue less of a problem while it is being fixed.

MacinTek

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
Interesting issue

I started having this issue yesterday morning. However, it seems to an issue with iOS access to iTunes/App store logins. I circumvented it by purchasing through iTunes on the Mac and then syncing the purchases to the iOS device.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Oh my fin god!!! You poor people can't sign into the App Store, the world is now ending!!! This is LIFE AND DEATH and therefore must be presented on the front page! Wow!

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
I started having this issue yesterday morning. However, it seems to an issue with iOS access to iTunes/App store logins. I circumvented it by purchasing through iTunes on the Mac and then syncing the purchases to the iOS device.

I did this exact same thing last night and had no problems.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
A few years ago Apple would never have a scary, techno-jargon laced error message like this slip though.

This is another sign of slipping standards and a company that just doesn't care about getting the little details right any more.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Oh my fin god!!! You poor people can't sign into the App Store, the world is now ending!!! This is LIFE AND DEATH and therefore must be presented on the front page! Wow!

I can't download my itunes U courses. Not life or death, but it has an impact. 99% of the front page is not life or death so whats the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.