Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel your Macbook Pro's internal temperatures are too hot?

• Yes, all the time, light or heavy usage.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Yes, but only during heavy usage.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I'm Indifferent / I update so frequently / Am covered by Applecare / Don't care

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other opinion

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No, not at all. I find it to be normal considering the power inside.

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Guys, these forums have been fueled and fired up lately over discussions about temperatures. A lot of information is out there, and it's difficult to really get a clear sense of what is going on. While searching on the subject of appropriate Tjunction temperatures for mobile CPUs from Intel, I came across this interesting guide. It has some old info in it, but I think a lot of it is still relevant; http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-understanding-intel-temperatures/

Some interesting tibits;

Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS): Each core has its own DTS and this is where the Tjunction or core temperature reading is taken from. The DTS reports a relative distance to a fixed temperature (Tjunction Max) which must then be translated to an absolute temperature by software using the formula shown later in this post. This is usually called Distance to Tjunction Max or Delta to Tjunction Max. The primary function of the DTS is to regulate thermal protection mechanisms, not retrieve core temperatures.

The DTS is more accurate at temperatures closer to Tjunction Max and decreases in accuracy as temperature decreases.

Tcase Max and Thermal Specification: Can be found on the Intel Processor Spec Finder. This is often confused by users as the maximum temperature for the cores, but in actual fact it refers to the maximum temperature that should be reached by the Tcase sensor. This specification is rounded to a relatively precise 0.1 C.

The only exceptions are mobile CPUs which do not have a heat spreader, where Thermal Specification refers to Tjunction Max instead and is rounded to the nearest 5 degrees.

Tjunction: Synonymous with core temperatures and calculated based on the output from the DTS using the formula shown further down in this post.

Tjunction Max: This is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before the PROCHOT# signal is sent and thermal throttling is activated, although throttling typically occurs a degree or two below this. In this post Tjunction Max refers to either the actual throttling point for a core/CPU or what is used by a temperature monitoring program.

What Tjunction Max should I be using?

Many users stress over what value they should be using for Tjunction Max. Despite what most people think, Tjunction Max is not a fixed value for a whole range of CPUs like Intel makes it appear with Tjunction Target. It is subject to calibration error in the factory and has an undisclosed margin of variation (see “More information on Tjunction Max and DTS Calibration”). Tjunction Max can vary between individual CPUs and even between individual cores of the same CPU, particularly in Core 2 Quad CPUs which are Multi-Chip Modules, but also to a lesser extent in Core 2 Duo and Core i7.

Without thorough testing it is impossible to know exactly what Tjunction Max is for each core, nor is it particularly important. As I’ve said multiple times, the function of the DTS is to control thermal protection mechanisms. These trigger based on the DTS output (Distance to Tj Max), not the temperature of the CPU. Absolute temperature is completely irrelevant to proper functioning of thermal protection mechanisms.

I find it to be interesting stuff. The fact that a lot of companies still use the old values to measure temperatures also tell us why it's likely that manufacturers use these older parameters which is different from the temperature probe measurement variables used by programs like speedfan, true temps and istats.

This does not prove anything, I just found it interesting though I also find some of it hard to understand.
Technology is an amazing thing. It really is amazing!

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
thanks for the read.

Personally I think it's about finding a compromise between heat and noise. Especially with the new retina Macs they did pretty good in that part (not very loud and sufficient cooling)

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
My 2.3GHz Haswell MacBook Pro runs cool to the touch. It's actually kind of creepy, considering what my 2012 first generation rMBP was like. CPU heatsink is at 32 degrees celcius while GPU is at 36 degrees. Not to mention its faaaaast. Loving it.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
My 2.3GHz Haswell MacBook Pro runs cool to the touch. It's actually kind of creepy, considering what my 2012 first generation rMBP was like. CPU heatsink is at 32 degrees celcius while GPU is at 36 degrees. Not to mention its faaaaast. Loving it.

Good for you man! I hope mine won't have bad temps!^^

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

It must be the different CPU because my Haswell 2.6GHz CPU runs at about 40 and the graphics runs at about 45.

When I'm doing some heavy gaming ( World of Warcraft ) they go up to 70 and the fans speed up..About the same as my 2012 MBP.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Heavy load is where the manufacturing defects unfortunately show up.

In my opinion, Apple's current super thin-and-light obsession coupled with the profits they are generating selling on 'brand' vs 'substance' means we're simply not going to get a proper professional system from Apple, until someone puts out a truly competitive system and forces Apple to innovate.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
I get 100 C + temps easily. I think this laptop runs way too hot. I've had to get a Cooler Master U3 for it.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
It must be the different CPU because my Haswell 2.6GHz CPU runs at about 40 and the graphics runs at about 45.

When I'm doing some heavy gaming ( World of Warcraft ) they go up to 70 and the fans speed up..About the same as my 2012 MBP.

Would be curious to know what you're doing when the temperatures are at 40 degrees. When I have Spotify open with 20+ tabs in Safari, a couple of PDFs open in Preview and Microsoft word open I get 32 to 36 degrees for the CPU heatsink.

Does yours ever get lower than 40 degrees? How does it compare with the 2012 version?

I had to get an Air because I couldn't use the 2012 rmbp in bed or on a sofa because it got ridiculously hot. I was worries the same thing would happen with the 2013 Haswell but I found it's much much cooler than the 2012 version such that I can use it I'm bed and it doesn't get hot. When I'm playing YouTube videos, it does heat up to 39~45 degrees but it doesn't get as hot as the old one. I'm really satisfied with this machine!

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Thank you for the thread. A stark contrast to some recent threads that are mislabeled as facts, when in reality they are just opinions and misinformation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.