Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

comScore today released the results of its monthly rolling survey of U.S. mobile phone users for the August-September 2013 period, showing that Apple's smartphone market share rose to 40.6 percent, compared to Android's 51.8 percent over the same period.

For handset manufacturers, Apple was in first place by a wide margin, with second place Samsung holding 25.4 percent of the market.

comscoreoctober2013.png
149.2 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones (62.5 percent mobile market penetration) during the three months ending in October, up 4.1 percent since July. Apple ranked as the top OEM with 40.6 percent of U.S. smartphone subscribers (up 0.2 percentage points from July). Samsung ranked second with 25.4 percent market share (up 1.3 percentage points), while Motorola made the leap to third with 7 percent (up 0.1 percentage points). HTC and LG followed with 6.7 percent and 6.6 percent, respectively.
comscoreoctober20132.png

Collectively, Apple and Google control 92.2 percent of the market, with BlackBerry and Symbian losing share, while Microsoft's Windows Phone platform gained slightly.

comScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: Apple's U.S. Smartphone Usage Share Remains Above 40%

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
the 5S reminded me of why i have stuck with apple since the original iPhone

iOS 7 has for the first time made me consider a different smartphone OS. I'm really frustrated with uncharacteristically unintuitive things like the new Calendar. And I figure if I'm going to get that frustrated, I might as well dive into a different technology. I'm hoping that iOS7 is simply exhibiting growing pains and that it'll all eventually get straightened out. But if it doesn't, there are more and more compelling alternatives out there for me to explore.

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Apple proves to surpass the competition once again!:apple:

Where...... In the U.S. only? Set the comscore to World instead of U.S. and see what you get. Apple rules the U.S., not the world for handset sales. Samsung takes over that hands down.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
iOS 7 has for the first time made me consider a different smartphone OS. I'm really frustrated with uncharacteristically unintuitive things like the new Calendar. And I figure if I'm going to get that frustrated, I might as well dive into a different technology. I'm hoping that iOS7 is simply exhibiting growing pains and that it'll all eventually get straightened out. But if it doesn't, there are more and more compelling alternatives out there for me to explore.
You will be back!

----------

Where...... In the U.S. only? Set the comscore to World instead of U.S. and see what you get. Apple rules the U.S., not the world for handset sales. Samsung takes over that hands down.
We're talking premium smartphone sales. Not useless bricks.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Collectively, Apple and Google control 92%

Big difference in quality between the two, i love my nexus 7 FHD, however, for a phone, apple still wins hands down! the 5S reminded me of why i have stuck with apple since the original iPhone

Lot of people will argue otherwise. I cannot stand the iPhone - it is too limiting and toyish for my taste without providing any exclusive benefits. But up until iOS7 I would prefer using iPad 3 for a tablet even though we have a Galaxy Tab and N7 2013 in house.

Post iOS7 things changed. I am now waiting for the Nexus 10 (2014 edition I guess) so I can sell the iPad and try to deal with one ecosystem. iOS 7 really ruined a great experience on the iPad.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Lot of people will argue otherwise. I cannot stand the iPhone - it is too limiting and toyish for my taste without providing any exclusive benefits. But up until iOS7 I would prefer using iPad 3 for a tablet even though we have a Galaxy Tab and N7 2013 in house.

Post iOS7 things changed. I am now waiting for the Nexus 10 (2014 edition I guess) so I can sell the iPad and try to deal with one ecosystem. iOS 7 really ruined a great experience on the iPad.
And your on a Apple enthusiast site why?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Collectively, Apple and Google control 92%

Big difference in quality between the two, i love my nexus 7 FHD, however, for a phone, apple still wins hands down! the 5S reminded me of why i have stuck with apple since the original iPhone

You are comparing a flagship device with a midrange device you know :)

$650 vs $230

Last edited:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I cannot stand the iPhone - it is too limiting and toyish

Okay, humor me. I hear iOS-detractors say things like that all the time, but I never hear concrete examples of what that means. Can you give me a few examples of ways that the iPhone is limited and "toyish" compared to the alternatives?

I ask not to put you on the spot but because, way back in the 80s when the mouse and GUI first emerged on the computing scene, all the hardcore geeks/command line Luddites back then were scoffing and using words like "limited" and "toyish" too. But we all know where that went and those same guys sort of disappeared. It's just weird to hear those same things again (and, probably not coincidentally, mostly aimed at Apple's products.)

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Okay, humor me. I hear iOS-detractors say things like that all the time, but I never hear concrete examples of what that means. Can you give me a few examples of ways that the iPhone is limited and "toyish" compared to the alternatives?

I ask not to put you on the spot but because, way back in the 80s when the mouse and GUI first emerged on the computing scene, all the hardcore geeks/command line Luddites back then were scoffing and using words like "limited" and "toyish" too. But we all know where that went and those same guys sort of disappeared. It's just weird to hear those same things again (and, probably not coincidentally, mostly aimed at Apple's products.)

Hey there are still plenty of neckbeards that prefer to work from the command line :p

Not me though :D

The reason people call ios limited is the walled garden though. No access to the file system that actually really does exist on ios, etc..

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Only 40%?

That's funny because I see lots of iPhones and I've only seen two, count them, two non-iPhone smart phones. Android users must be ashamed of their toys and hiding them. :}

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
You will be back!

----------

We're talking premium smartphone sales. Not useless bricks.

Pretty sure Samsung makes high quality devices. I mean, hell, apple used their parts at one point. Also, WW sales on the S4 surpass that of the iPhone. Until Apple wooes the Asian market, they will lose big time in the WW market.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
???stupid why
???should not exist why

Waste of time for everyone. Kinda like World of Warcraft, but worse because it's not just for nerds. Yes, I have one. I use a screen sharing client to connect to my Mac Mini Server on it more often than I use Facebook, Twitter, and SMS combined.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Only 40%?

That's funny because I see lots of iPhones and I've only seen two, count them, two non-iPhone smart phones. Android users must be ashamed of their toys and hiding them. :}

Or, maybe, you socialize mostly with pretentious or not so technically inclined crowd.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Only 40%?

Surprising. Even I've seen more than two here in LA. Man, they suck. The iPhone is still dominant here. I used to be really annoyed when I got an SMS from my friend instead of an iMessage... money down the drain.

----------

Or, maybe, you socialize mostly with pretentious or not so technically inclined crowd.

Maybe you socialize with the wrong crowd. Why are you on MacRumors?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Only 40%?

Based on your sig my only advice is to get out more often.

I see a large number of Android smartphones just about everywhere I go. Three years ago it was a completely different story.

Michaels

markrogo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
Pretty sure Samsung makes high quality devices. I mean, hell, apple used their parts at one point. Also, WW sales on the S4 surpass that of the iPhone. .

Except they don't.

Samsung is hoping to sell 100 million Galaxys (all variants) and Notes in the year. Apple sold nearly 150 million iPhones in the past year. It will sell >175 million in the coming year. The S4 is a great product and sells a ton. But it does not outsell the iPhone globally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.