Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The Cupertino City Council will have to approve this new article before it can be posted.

----------

The way macrumors has evolved in the last year there will be about 200 posts describing every stage of the demolition, construction, tree planting, moving trucks....etc.....gotta get those page views/clicks/$

----------

Not really related to Macs.
Not really a rumor.
Therefore, let's post this on the front page because we'll post anything these days to get attention.

TO THE MACRUMORS STAFF: sometimes less is more! If it's a slow news day then let it be a slow news day. You could have posted something about the late Nelson Mandela. Just as irrelevant as this story but a million times more significant.

I'm sure you'd rather have more patent dispute news. :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Apple's new campus is a major development in the growth of the company and it is natural for us to document that. Not every post is going to be interesting to every reader, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to have a nice mix of posts.

This post is absolutely relevant to our mission of sharing and reporting on developments related to Apple and its larger markets.

With regards to Nelson Mandela, his death is indeed a notable event and an important story, but it would be inappropriate to write it up here and would likely lead to even more off-topic comments claiming that we post stories just for clicks and ad revenue, which could not be further from the truth.

There are, however, many excellent news outlets that have extensive coverage of the life and death of Mr. Mandela. I encourage everyone to give them a read.

Just a couple of humble suggestions, Jordan:

- put it on page 2; it MIGHT eventually be page 1-worthy when at least the Apple campus itself is being erected;

- we do not really need to scroll down five different photos of absolutely irrelevant and non-descriptive rubble.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Apple campus 2: $5 Billion for 3.8 Million sq ft = $1350 per square foot.

The Burj Khalifa: worlds tallest building, has 1.5 million sq ft and cost $1.5 billion to build. $1000 per square foot.

Apple should just build a couple Burj Khalifa's in San Francisco.

Kerber0s34

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Anyone know if it will have a heliport? I imagine there must be enough big shots visiting that a direct link to SFO would be advantageous. Imagine a Mr. Ive designed Apple helicopter.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
History has shown, any time a company builds a monument to itself, that's the beginning of the decline.

cliffak

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013

The Burj Khalifa: worlds tallest building, has 1.5 million sq ft and cost $1.5 billion to build. $1000 per square foot.

Construction costs in Dubai are of course quite a lot lower since there is plenty of cheap labor around and labor protection reportedly isn't up to Western standards.

Imagine a Mr. Ive designed Apple helicopter.

The development and certification costs of a helicopter would certainly help reducing Apple's cash pile.

History has shown, any time a company builds a monument to itself, that's the beginning of the decline.

Start worrying if Apple starts an airline ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ya ok...

we've all seem a building come down a one stage...

How is this news ? We already know that the new "spaceship" is being built, so by common sense, of course the old building will come down.... What else could there be ?

With 820,000 square feet total, Apple really have out-done themselves here. Seriously.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I hope they don't cut down the trees. They look beautiful.

Going by the plans there will be a near forest surrounding and in the centre of the structure. Its idea being you dont see it until the last moment then get a WOW moment that this monolith was here and you had no idea. The inner area being a quiet area of reflection and tranquility bring nature alongside the glass and metal.

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
Apple's new campus is a major development in the growth of the company and it is natural for us to document that. Not every post is going to be interesting to every reader, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to have a nice mix of posts.

This post is absolutely relevant to our mission of sharing and reporting on developments related to Apple and its larger markets.

To add to your reasoning, what Apple is doing here is of massive importance in corporate architecture.

Those of you not getting it, notice that the buildings being torn down (the metal is salvaged) are perfectly fine 70s-era office buildings, rectilinear, aluminum, glass and stucco, surrounded by acres of sun-baked asphalt parking, right?

Except they're not so fine. They're for putting hive workers into cubicles and making then forget about nature for eight-plus hours every day while they bend their heads over desks in fluorescent lighting or stare at CRT screens.

These buildings are one big reason HP failed to adapt and see that the future belonged to those who would put 1000 songs in their Levis pocket, and then make the music player into a phone and a computer.

Apple's reward is they get to demolish a long era of "beige fascism" in business buildings and show what architecture for human beings looks like. I want to see every detail as it happens. Somebody should be covering this in time lapse. Keep it up, Jordan.

----------

. . . except for companies that are founding new businesses that have never been seen before in history. Daimler-Benz seems to have survived, Krupp is still around, even Americans can do it, e.g., Ford and G.E.

dunkizzle

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Just a couple of humble suggestions, Jordan:

- put it on page 2; it MIGHT eventually be page 1-worthy when at least the Apple campus itself is being erected;

- we do not really need to scroll down five different photos of absolutely irrelevant and non-descriptive rubble.

There are plenty of Apple-centric rumor and news sites on the internets. Feel free to visit those instead. It bears mentioning, however, that they'll probably consider construction of the new campus to be front page-worthy as well. Your suggestions aren't humble, they're nitpicky.

daye

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Cost ?

Guess, how much a 50 year +, 3 bedrooms,2000 Sqt living space old house can cost you just a few blocks away from Infinity loop 1, in Cupertino ?
:p

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
Really? A first-page article on demolished buildings? How irrelevant can that be?

Because you don't understand it doesn't make it irrelevant. As a Construction Project Manager, Planner/Scheduler, and Site Manager with over 30 years experience, I can tell you that every phase of a project (including site prep and demolition) is extremely important and very relevant. As a matter of fact, if I were in charge of scheduling a project of this scope, I would have thousands of resource/cost loaded activities in my schedule (Most likely in a detailed Primavera P6 CPM network) detailing the demolition phase alone.

Your ignorance of the subject matter doesn't make the article any more or less relevant - - your post simply exposes you as a person who either doesn't understand the subject matter or simply doesn't care. I suspect both, and since MR didn't post this article exclusively for your entertainment alone, why not skip over and ignore it and allow the rest of us who do have an interest in it enjoy it without your "irrelevant" comment.

Thank you jlgolson - I enjoyed your article and the construction pics.

----------

there are plenty of apple-centric rumor and news sites on the internets. Feel free to visit those instead. It bears mentioning, however, that they'll probably consider construction of the new campus to be front page-worthy as well. Your suggestions aren't humble, they're nitpicky.

+1

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Are you kidding?

Someone's going to design a new "percentage complete" icon for OS X that draws an overhead view of the campus getting built up clockwise from the top to tell you how far along your software installation or download is!

The way macrumors has evolved in the last year there will be about 200 posts describing every stage of the demolition, construction, tree planting, moving trucks....etc.....gotta get those page views/clicks/$

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
it just hit me....

The new MacPros and the new campus share the same design. Circles with open centers. I'm sure it's not coincidental.

pretty cool!

rstone3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Midwest
Thanks to poster - great article; to any who don't want to see this simply skip to the next article, how tough is that? Why waste your time (and ours) with complaints?

This is totally relevant to Apple's mission and is of great interest to me and (I suspect) the vast majority of MacRumors readers. I for one would love to see updates regularly when major phases start such as the dig-out for the parking structure and laying of the foundation - and especially once the superstructure goes up. When we built our new office building a few years ago (15K sq ft / $3M) we took a lot of pictures which are still interesting to look at. Obviously, a MUCH bigger project will no doubt produce even more interesting images. Keep up the good work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.