Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
No I didn't misunderstand. I was not referring to the color gamut. This thread is about QC and frankly screen uniformity is a QC issue. The post I referred to flat stated that the screen isn't the main factor and I simply replied that as far as tablets go it most certainly is since that is the part you actually see all the time. Regardless of OS you cannot 'unsee' a screen defect. Even just reading a book can be affected.

Whether a person disagrees with the decision to lower the gamut on the mini it was a specific decision by Apple. It is not a QC issue.

Then you didn't read the rest if my post as it specifically mentions color gamut and screen retention. It's a discussion I was posting to Miss Kitty and you are reading it out of context.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
You misunderstand, a flaw like yellowing is not the same as a lowered color gamut. That is in fact a defect, lowered gamut is not a defect in fact it's not even an issue. A defective screen is in the same boat as the home button not functioning at 100% or dead spots in the touch screen. Any or all these effect a user, color gamut only effect users looking to nitpick and compare.

Don't say it is not an issue - for some it is, for others like yourself it isn't. I think Apple made some design trade-offs here either for cost/weight/size reasons or perhaps to protect their flagship product the iPad Air. That's fine for Apple; obviously they have been successful at it. But its not always so fine for me as a consumer. I protect my interests by finding out what the trade-offs are and making my decision accordingly. Apple should publish the color gamut spec on the iPads and let the consumer decide; they have't but fortunately DisplayMate has.

I haven't purchased an iPad yet. At the end of the day I might still get the rMini for my specialized use as a remote controller for my media server. But if do, it will be with full knowledge of its limitations.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Don't say it is not an issue - for some it is, for others like yourself it isn't. I think Apple made some design trade-offs here either for cost/weight/size reasons or perhaps to protect their flagship product the iPad Air. That's fine for Apple; obviously they have been successful at it. But its not always so fine for me as a consumer. I protect my interests by finding out what the trade-offs are and making my decision accordingly. Apple should publish the color gamut spec on the iPads and let the consumer decide; they have't but fortunately DisplayMate has.

I haven't purchased an iPad yet. At the end of the day I might still get the rMini for my specialized use as a remote controller for my media server. But if do, it will be with full knowledge of its limitations.

Again... There really is no real world use of the higher color gamut. If you're a graphic artist the ipad rMini shouldn't be your device of choice anyway, functionality is the same on both as consumer devices, so it's down to nitpicking really. Your videos and pictures will look great on both devices and you won't notice any of the so called "limitations" until both devices are side by side. I've watched a bunch of tv shows and a few HD movies on both my rMini and my Air. Neither affected my enjoyment of the content to any differential degree.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...Apple should publish the color gamut spec on the iPads and let the consumer decide; they have't but fortunately DisplayMate has...

Yeah, right on. They should also publish their processor speed and RAM and let the consumer decide. Oh, wait...

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
And exactly what does 'non-retina' have to do with screen uniformity? I'll answer, absolutely nothing. I don't read any posts complaining about the number of pixels, only about screen uniformity and that would be an issue on any screen regardless of the pixel count.

If you can't see it then just be happy and move on. But those who can see it have every right to expect a uniformly colored screen. Some of us got lucky so good screens are out there. Personally I would only exchange once and then just get a refund and move to another platform. But then I'm not as enamored with Apple as some are.

I was specifically referring to your "be all, end all" portion of your comment. I too have an iPad 3 with slight uneven tint so I do know what you are talking about. If one fixates on something so trivial than perhaps you should just give up on iPads and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.