Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
What will Apple TV play from my iMac? My iMac, Apple TV, 2 iPhones, an iPad and my printer are all on the same network. If I make a home video and put it on my desktop, or if someone gives one to me and I have it on a disk, can I play that without copying it to iTunes? It seems to me that I can only play iTunes content. I thought I could play anything on my computer, but I do not see what steps I need to take.
Thanks,

Steven

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
airplay = ATV retrieves content from iTunes and plays it natively on the TV
display mirroring = mirrors your screens desktop 1:1, playing something on your mac and want to show the same thing on your tv, then enable this setting and the same thing will appear on your tv

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Where do I find Display Mirroring

Is the display mirroring in my Apple Tv or is it on my Mac or portable devices? Do I use the Apple menu for computer?

Thanks. Steven

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Apple should have told me

I thank everyone for their responses. It seems my iMac is too old to support mirroring. I wish Apple had specified that before I was enticed to buy Apple TV. My portable devices would work.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I thank everyone for their responses. It seems my iMac is too old to support mirroring. I wish Apple had specified that before I was enticed to buy Apple TV. My portable devices would work.

What what?!?! So Apple has always been very clear about which devices supported Airplay Mirroring. What more could they have done?

So here's the page for the AppleTV: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

That links to the Airplay page of: http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/

At the bottom of the page is the notes about what devices can use Airplay Mirroring.

How is this their fault?.....

"You can lead a horse to water....." really comes to mind here.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I am using a few different ipad apps that play things from my mac or an external hard drive. Just started playing with it this week, but so far, so good.

Infuse is one
Airvideo is another

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
How Does It Work

I am using a few different ipad apps that play things from my mac or an external hard drive. Just started playing with it this week, but so far, so good.

Infuse is one
Airvideo is another

Do you take the media from your Mac, send it to your iPad, and then use Mirroring to send it to your TV via Apple TV? I'm trying to find a way to view content from my Mac on my TV, without putting it on iTunes.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Do you take the media from your Mac, send it to your iPad, and then use Mirroring to send it to your TV via Apple TV? I'm trying to find a way to view content from my Mac on my TV, without putting it on iTunes.

I am new at this, but these other apps actually drill down through the computer directory and/or external drives. Not itune pretty, but the files are there and play via streaming, via ipad app. So far, I am happy with infuse and nplayer.

There seems to be a way to put the titles, but not the files into itunes but I have not figured it out yet.

Meanwhile are you really a Govt Lawyer? And what do you do?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.