Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mintra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I bought my Macbook in December 2009. (MC207LL/A). Recently, it won't shut down properly if I go to the apple menu or press the power button then click shut down on the screen, it will restart the system everytime so I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down. I tried logging out and then logged in as a guest and run the disk repair but that didn't work. I also noticed if I closed the monitor down to put my mac to sleep, when I open it up, it feels quite warm below the keyboard area so I don't know if it's related to the shut down problem. I am also running a Snow Leopard / Lion partition. Booted from either partition didn't solve the shut down problem. I have to press and hold the power button everytime. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I bought my Macbook in December 2009. (MC207LL/A). Recently, it won't shut down properly if I go to the apple menu or press the power button then click shut down on the screen, it will restart the system everytime so I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down. I tried logging out and then logged in as a guest and run the disk repair but that didn't work. I also noticed if I closed the monitor down to put my mac to sleep, when I open it up, it feels quite warm below the keyboard area so I don't know if it's related to the shut down problem. I am also running a Snow Leopard / Lion partition. Booted from either partition didn't solve the shut down problem. I have to press and hold the power button everytime. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you.

Try a SMC reset and zap the pram.

mintra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Thank you both. But I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and I still cannot shut down properly. My macbook keeps restarting unless I press and hold the power button.

omri617

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
Try :

System preferences -
Energy Saver -

On Battery / Power adapter tabs : which boxes are checked?

mintra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I just erased everything and did a clean reinstallation osx 10.6 on that partition. I still can't shut down my macbook properly. It still keeps restarting. Please help. Does this have anything to do with a cheap 3rd party Magsafe charger?

mintra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Uncheck all boxes . including the 4 Power Adapter boxes

Thank you. I unchecked all boxes in both Snow Leopard and Lion partition but the restarting still continues. Is there any other advice? I really appreciate it.

targetpro

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2014
Same exact issue

Thank you both. But I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and I still cannot shut down properly. My macbook keeps restarting unless I press and hold the power button.

Did you get this problem solved? I'm having the exact same issue now.

I just downgraded from Mavericks to Snow Leopard. (Couldn't stand how slow Mavericks was on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro.) At the same time, I removed the optical drive and dropped in an SSD.

I fixed Disk Permissions, reset PRAM and SMC, along with everything else I could think of.

Mac will not stay in sleep more, and shutting down simply causes it to reboot.

Please help!

Blake4321

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
Hello there!
I saw this and created an account specifically to reply to this thread as I've experienced the same thing.
The issue is something physically wrong in the department of power supply. My Mac Pro 2012 tower, when I first plugged it in, did the exact same thing it continuously rebooted as if stuck in a loop, and freaked the crap out of me. Afterwards one of the USB ports didn't function correctly (could not power devices through it) and so I took it in for repair. Turns out the powerboard I plugged it into was dodgy, and the logic board needed to be replaced.
I'd say you should:
1. Buy the damn Apple brand charger (the appropriate voltage for your computer, there are different ones!!!!) i mean come on you already spent how much on the computer itself.
2.run a hardware test and take the computer in to be looked at. Power problems can cause a huge range of problems with computers it could have caused a number of things to happen.

Hope this helps.
P.s they fixed it up and it has been humming along nicely for years now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.