Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
The problem is: you can't do it straight from disk utility. I think you have to boot up from the disks if you want to partition. see:

Ok. well then I must have been confused and remembered incorrectly.

Also, how do I mark a partition as the main boot partition, so it boots that partition as default, always, instead of going to startup disk and manually selecting the startup disk each time?

Once you have the drive partitioned, you would just go into system preferences -> Startup Disk, and then select the disk in the list that you want to boot from.

So, I'm sorry that my information was wrong regarding partitioning the HDD.

But, if you can download Leopard from Apple as a developer and burn that to a disc, then perhaps you can use the disc utility included with that and then partition the disc that way.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So, I'm sorry that my information was wrong regarding partitioning the HDD.

But, if you can download Leopard from Apple as a developer and burn that to a disc, then perhaps you can use the disc utility included with that and then partition the disc that way.

That's OK. But I don't see the Leopard downloads on the dev downloads page..

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
That's OK. But I don't see the Leopard downloads on the dev downloads page..

Oh. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression of the Leopard downloads that are available. They're not in the developer section.

The 10.5.8 combo update s in the support section of Apple's site.

Support -> Downloads -> then click on browse by product and just type "10.5.8"

The you'll see the 10.5.8 combo update but not the full install.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
My friend has the $99 Apple dev account so I might be able to get it from him, if his account hasn't expired....He got it for free for doing some work for them.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
OK so I booted up from the 10.4.2 DVD, and went into disk utility. Then I tried to partition, when I clicked the partition button to split the drive, it said this:
"PARTITION DISK Partitioning a disk will destroy all information on the volume of the disk. This disk has one volume: "Macintosh HD" Are you sure you wish to blah blah blah" So does this mean it will wipe the entire disk? I'm guessing so, if so, is there any freeware to partition WITHOUT wiping the disk?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
10.4.2 is too old to partition the drive without destroying the data. You need 10.4.6 or newer.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
10.4.2 is too old to partition the drive without destroying the data. You need 10.4.6 or newer.

I have 10.4.11 installed, but I can't partition from within the boot partition for some reason, and the disks are 10.4. How can I partition?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have 10.4.11 installed, but I can't partition from within the boot partition for some reason, and the disks are 10.4. How can I partition?

Maybe PowerPC Tiger can't partition its boot drive or any drive without erasing it first. I know Leopard can on either Intell or PowerPC.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Maybe PowerPC Tiger can't partition its boot drive or any drive without erasing it first. I know Leopard can on either Intell or PowerPC.

Yes. My question is: is there any freeware or something else to partition my drive without destroying it?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I've got a feeling here that Intell is right - you need Leopard in order to resize or add partitions from within OS X.

Assuming you have made a complete backup of your system with something like Carbon Copy Cloner - http://www.bombich.com/download.html - version 3.4.7 is the latest that will run on Tiger or Leopard - you could then boot to the 10.4 disc and partition as you wish.

Next install OS X to one of the partitions and once booted restore your apps / settings etc from the Carbon Copy backup when prompted during initial setup.

Hope this makes sense ...

Cheers :)

Hugh

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I've got a feeling here that Intell is right - you need Leopard in order to resize or add partitions from within OS X.

Assuming you have made a complete backup of your system with something like Carbon Copy Cloner - http://www.bombich.com/download.html - version 3.4.7 is the latest that will run on Tiger or Leopard - you could then boot to the 10.4 disc and partition as you wish.

Next install OS X to one of the partitions and once booted restore your apps / settings etc from the Carbon Copy backup when prompted during initial setup.

Hope this makes sense ...

Hugh

More or less-there is no way to partition without data loss.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Unfortunately not, at least not with Tiger.

It would be expensive to buy a Leopard disc just to be able to partition your drive as you would want it (I've just checked on eBay and it could cost $70-80), but as I have the same model iBook at home I can assure you 10.5 works very well if you choose to go that route.

One alternative is to get hold an old copy of iPartition by Coriolis Systems from which you can make a bootable disc.
I have a disc myself and it's very good at moving / resizing partitions without destroying any data, but costs about $50, if you can still even find an old version compatible with your system.

Not much help really, sorry

Hugh

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Unfortunately not, at least not with Tiger.

It would be expensive to buy a Leopard disc just to be able to partition your drive as you would want it (I've just checked on eBay and it could cost $70-80), but as I have the same model iBook at home I can assure you 10.5 works very well if you choose to go that route.

One alternative is to get hold an old copy of iPartition by Coriolis Systems from which you can make a bootable disc.
I have a disc myself and it's very good at moving / resizing partitions without destroying any data, but costs about $50, if you can still even find an old version compatible with your system.

Not much help really, sorry

Hugh

The partition would be dedicated entirely to Lubuntu, so I think I will just use the built in partitioning method, and then uninstall grub so I can just hold alt/option at bootup. I don't like grub....

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So I thought of a different way to partition, destructively, but still get all my data back. So I am going to clone my HD to an external drive, and then partition into 2, but how can I clone the external HD back onto 1 partition?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
You need a firewire external drive, then the clone will be bootable.

Either use Carbon Copy Cloner or Disk Utility to clone, then select the external as startup disk in System Prefs.

Once booted to the clone you can use Disk Utility from there to partition the internal HDD and then restore to one of the new partitions.

Done it successfully loads of times, in fact I've just (yesterday eve) restored a working system from my PowerBook to an eMac that's being brought back into use.

Hugh

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Hmmmm so it can't be a USB drive? Thats the connector I'm getting...
Is there anyway to clone it back on without firewire?
Would a boot command from OpenFirmware be able to boot the USB external drive?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
No idea, sorry.

If you're going to stay with PPC a firewire external drive enclosure is invaluable for keeping backups as they are so easy to restore if you need to.

Booting to USB is flaky and slow to say the least, with varied results as has been discussed.

Hugh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Sorry, yes of course, you're right, but I find it easier to boot from a firewire clone.

I have a generic Tiger and a generic Leopard install on a firewire drive which I can boot to, then I can use that running system to restore from a USB drive to the internal hard drive.

I was surprised the other day when a USB backup booted to my Pismo and ran (took 20 mins or so to get the system up and running) - I thought I'd try it and see what happened.
Don't suppose it will do it every time with no firmware jiggery pokery, but nice to know it sometimes works :)

Hugh

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
You can clone it to a USB drive. I've done that before with great success.

Haha its funny I took a look at Tom Vilsack's thread on booting a USB SSD the night I posted about not being able to boot from a USB HD (below).

----------

Hmmmm so it can't be a USB drive? Thats the connector I'm getting...
Is there anyway to clone it back on without firewire?
Would a boot command from OpenFirmware be able to boot the USB external drive?

here ^

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
No no, I think Intell was correcting my comment. You CAN easily clone to a USB hard drive, but in my opinion as non-too-clever at software hacks, difficult to get the clone restored to the internal HDD from USB.

There is a way, (I've only just remembered, sorry) if you boot to an OS X disc, of using Disk Utility (from the DVD) to restore one volume to another, even if one volume is on a USB connection.
Be prepared to start the job at bedtime and get up in the morning to find it's only just completed.

If you do your backup first (which is always a useful thing to have with any old machine) then you can try some of the options suggested so far ...

Hugh

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
There is one problem-my Mac simply does not-cannot-will not boot from a USB stick on Linux, at least. Apple says it will with Mac OS X on a USB stick, I haven't tried yet. Oh well I guess I'll just have to wait and see if OS X will boot from that HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.