Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Do games on the Mac App Store work on Mavericks or would they all need updated?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
CCleaner on Mountain Lion worked; but no longer works on Mavericks. Have you tried games on Mavericks?

All my games work on Mavericks.

I still don't understand the logic behind your question. Mavericks is not a "new architecture", thus, it supports everything that Mountain Lion was able to handle, plus much more, thanks to the video improvements.

Mavericks is only an optimization to the redundancies of Mountain Lion.

Mavericks can be upgraded from Mountain Lion without doing a clean install with no repercussions, however, an app may not be able to handle that due to their bad coding, which would require you to reinstall the app again. This is not Mavericks' fault, this is the developer's fault.

If you just upgraded to Mavericks, try a reinstall of your apps.

If you did a clean install and your apps don't work, then contact the developer, this is a major issue from their part.

Edit: Why would someone use CCleaner? You do realize that you are not using Windows right? and things such as registry problems only apply to Windows right?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
All my games work on Mavericks.

I still don't understand the logic behind your question. Mavericks is not a "new architecture", thus, it supports everything that Mountain Lion was able to handle, plus much more, thanks to the video improvements.

Mavericks is only an optimization to the redundancies of Mountain Lion.

Mavericks can be upgraded from Mountain Lion without doing a clean install with no repercussions, however, an app may not be able to handle that due to their bad coding, which would require you to reinstall the app again. This is not Mavericks' fault, this is the developer's fault.

If you just upgraded to Mavericks, try a reinstall of your apps.

If you did a clean install and your apps don't work, then contact the developer, this is a major issue from their part.

Edit: Why would someone use CCleaner? You do realize that you are not using Windows right? and things such as registry problems only apply to Windows right?

CCLeaner is not just for Registry problems. It cleans out Cache memory and increases performance of all web browsers. I plan to buy a rMBP.

----------

The problem is that you asked a blanket question, most will work but some may need to be updated. Try asking about specific games.

GTA San Andreas. Dirt 2. Minecraft. Cod 4. Grid.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I would check their reviews in the Mac App store. People are relentless there, if theres even a minor problem it will have 100 reviews that state its the worst thing ever.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
CCLeaner is not just for Registry problems. It cleans out Cache memory and increases performance of all web browsers. I plan to buy a rMBP.

This is not how Mac OS works, it is a completely different environment, you don't need to do cleans under Mac OS, since it is an optimized operative system. However, all those problems do affect Windows, since it is not an optimized operative system, and doesn't work like Mac OS.

Using CCleaner on Mac OS is pretty much useless I would say. CCleaner was intentionally made for Windows only.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I don’t have all those games but I can tell you Minecraft and CoD4 work without any issue. Seeing as GTA and Dirt 2 are both newer than CoD 4 I doubt they would have any trouble either but I haven’t tested them.

If you owned any of them, could you try them for me?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I don’t have all those games but I can tell you Minecraft and CoD4 work without any issue. Seeing as GTA and Dirt 2 are both newer than CoD 4 I doubt they would have any trouble either but I haven’t tested them.

Will CoD 4 run on the rMBP 13'' with 8Gb of RAM, 2.4Ghz dua core i5 Haswell, 256Gb SSD, integrated Intel Iris?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
The system requirements can be found HERE. By the look of it that computer should have absolutely no trouble running CoD4.

I plan to buy the 15" retina with Iris Pro, 2.0Ghz quad core i7 turbo boosted up to 3.2Ghz, 8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. Is that better for gaming? Is the iris pro dedicated graphics or integrated?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I plan to buy the 15" retina with Iris Pro, 2.0Ghz quad core i7 turbo boosted up to 3.2Ghz, 8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. Is that better for gaming? Is the iris pro dedicated graphics or integrated?

The Iris is integrated so don’t expect top graphic performance out of it but with older games it’ll be fine. In general that one would be better but the Iris is gonna be pretty similar on both so gaming wise there wouldn’t be a great increase in power. Personally I say never get a dual core when you can afford a quad but that’s just my opinion. Plus having a larger screen for gaming is better. Performance wise though it would be similar.

brett.

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
GTA San Andreas ≠*Mavericks compatible

OK, I was running GTA San Andreas on my Powerbook under OS X 10.8, then recently upgraded to Mavericks. Now when I start the game the music plays but the game graphics are not displayed on the screen. I have tried restarting to no avail. I am tempted to reinstall GTA-SA but I don't want to lose my place. Any advice?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.