Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

forstall.jpg
Apple's former SVP of iOS software Scott Forstall has largely remained out of the spotlight since officially leaving Apple at the beginning of the year, but Amir Efrati from new technology site The Information has some news on what Forstall been up to.

According to Efrati, as relayed by Business Insider, Forstall has spent his time advising startups and becoming involved in philanthropical causes focused on education, poverty, and human rights. He also reportedly spent time traveling to various countries like Italy and South Africa, but it is unclear what his next move might entail.
As for what's next, Efrati doesn't have any news, but he says VC firms like Kleiner Perkins and Andreessen Horowitz have stayed in touch, but Apple employees think Forstall's next move will be starting his own company.
Scott Forstall was a key player at Apple until late 2012, when he was ousted following Apple's iOS 6 maps debacle. Forstall originally joined Apple from Steve Jobs' company NeXT, and became famous for designing the Mac's Aqua user interface and later for leading the development of iOS and introducing many of its skeuomorphic elements.

Forstall officially resigned as the SVP of iOS software in October of 2012, reportedly staying on as an advisor to Tim Cook until 2013. Following Forstall's departure, Jony Ive, Bobs Mansfield, Eddy Cue, and Craig Federighi took on additional responsibilities to make up for the loss of Forstall.

Jony Ive now leads Apple's Human Interface teams, while Eddy Cue has taken over Siri and Maps and Craig Federighi leads the both iOS and OS X teams. In May, Tim Cook called the management shakeup "an incredible change" that has gone a long way towards increasing collaboration.

Article Link: Former iOS Chief Scott Forstall Surfaces After Quiet Year of Traveling and Philanthropy

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Should definitely pull a Tony Fadell and not a Jon Rubinstein.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Traveling and Philanthropy aka Unemployment

Edit: I can't believe I ousted this guy in favor of Ive. It was like ousting Bush finally and a bright rainbow in the distance was Obama only to realize that bright rainbow was a puddle of dog s***.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I know he's not popular here...

I know he's not very popular here but I wish him well, and I acknowledge that regardless of anything he started the iOS revolution.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I would like to think Scott comes back into the fold a few years from now a little less abrasive. Seems like that was the main reason he was shown the door.

Last edited:

putongnihongo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2012
It would really be interesting to see if he takes the Steve Jobs route. Starts his own company which forces him to mature as a manager and goes back to Apple.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
This guy needs to go back to Apple.

Ive's iOS7 fiasco is much worse than Scott's Maps fiasco.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So he designed Aqua and worked with Apple pretty much since the beginning of the successful Apple (post NeXt), yet he was only fired for medium mistakes in a single iOS app? Sounds a bit harsh to me!

I do prefer iOS 7's design though, but it seems he contributed a lot to Apple to be fired like that. Surely there's more to the story?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.