Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #26
luckysob
macrumors member

Siri, the least used 'feature' on my iPhone. Maybe someday I'll take the time to really understand how to make it work for me, but in the meantime, I'd rather type something into Google, or Yelp, or Maps, or....
luckysob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:40 AM   #27
HenryDJP
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
Never defend a technology! Technology is meant to develop to serve the requirements/limitations of existing human behaviour; human behaviour shouldn't be expected to adapt to meet the requirements/limitations of technology.
You're being ridiculous. So you're saying a person should be able to mumble, speak in a lazy manner, speak unusually fast or mispronounce words and a "computer" is suppose to fully understand a human??? GTFOH.
HenryDJP is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:41 AM   #28
brianvictor7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMacNerd View Post
I also noticed this!
Probably a rounding artifact no one on the publisher's end caught.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:46 AM   #29
Will do good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' brudder View Post
There is no way these charts are accurate. Even when I speak as clearly as possible and enunciate every syllable, Siri understands me about 40% of the time.
Barry Kripke, is that you?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I get 90% accuracy, I don't know what's going on with you.
I agree. I get close to 90% and I'm from overseas
Will do good is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:46 AM   #30
goobot
macrumors 68040

Half the time she just says she can't help me at this time since upgrading. Way worse then IOS6 for me.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:48 AM   #31
mknopp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
When I got iOS 7 I did notice a pronunciation correction. There's a town nearby called Braselton, pronounced "Brah-zel-ton." Siri had been pronouncing it "Bray-zel-ton." It's correct on TBT directions now. But she still can't pronounce "sugar" like there's an h after the s.
This last line really points out the true difficulty of what Apple and Google and anyone in voice recognition have to deal with. In my local dialect of Midwestern English sugar is pronounced as if there is an h after the s. Is there a pronunciation difference between aunt and ant? How about pin and pen? Is drag a regular or irregular verb? And I could go on and on for days, and this is all just within the umbrella of US English. Try adding in the various dialects of British English, Canadian English, Australian English, etc.

How about the Spanglish spoken in places like Gibraltar or Southern California where the speaker will switch mid-sentence between English and Spanish? Heck, as one poster pointed out, even humans have a hard time understanding each other a lot of the time. So, why do we expect a machine as stupid as a computer to be perfect?

Could it improve? Yeah. Will it improve? Yeah. Will it ever be perfect? Heck no.

That being said, I have to really question just how much this is really an article concerning Apple doing well. Doesn't Apple still use Nuance for the voice to text conversion which is then fed into Siri's knolwedge base search engine? If that is true then isn't an improvement in understanding what is asked an improvement for Nuance? While the drop in returning a correct response when the question is understood (nuance did its job) actually a bad thing for Apple?
mknopp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:48 AM   #32
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
It's truly amazing that Apple and Google are able to create these apps. The variation in voice, pronunciation, tone, pitch, amplitude, dialects, languages, and so on is amazing. Having a machine be able to sort this all out with such speed and accuracy is even more amazing.

I finally was able to upgrade to a 5s, and am starting to use Siri more and more every day.
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:50 AM   #33
Wurm5150
macrumors regular

Until Apple adds on-device voice parsing (like Google does) and rely less on server based transcription, Siri will never be as good and fast as Google Now.

Apple created a separate Motion coprocessor, maybe it's time for Siri to have its own chip.
Wurm5150 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:52 AM   #34
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There is no way these charts are accurate. Even when I speak as clearly as possible and enunciate every syllable, Siri understands me about 40% of the time.
Siri amazes me whenever I speak to her. She understands and displays every word I say well over 95% of the time, even with the TV blasting away in the background.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:53 AM   #35
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Oh Siri: http://yumurtaliekmek.web.tv/video/wkdvswqrsoc
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:53 AM   #36
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Do you work at a Laundromat or 7Eleven store?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:54 AM   #37
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post
Until Apple adds on-device voice parsing (like Google does) and rely less on server based transcription, Siri will never be as good and fast as Google Now.
Offline parsing is rarely done on Android. It is there as a backup. What makes Google fast is it is able to translate it in real time and not have to wait for you to finish. You can see this happening live as it tends to guess what you say but when you are done it will go back and correct some words based on the totality of what you said.
bozzykid is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:55 AM   #38
NightFox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
You're being ridiculous. So you're saying a person should be able to mumble, speak in a lazy manner, speak unusually fast or mispronounce words and a "computer" is suppose to fully understand a human??? GTFOH.
No, I'm saying when you've got that situation, the response should be to continue to improve the technology until it can understand the way real people speak in the real world, rather than tell people they now have to speak differently. Yes, in this instance it may be beyond the bounds of what can be achieved now, but look at how limited voice recognition was 10 years ago and imagine what it could be capable of in another 10 years if driven to improve rather than just adopt the attitude that it's people who are the problem.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:00 AM   #39
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Half the time she just says she can't help me at this time since upgrading. Way worse then IOS6 for me.
This has never, ever happened to me. Do you only use Siri at 2:00 a.m. when they run their updates?
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:00 AM   #40
neilmacd
macrumors 6502

It's fun watching Geordies (myself included) trying to talk all posh to get a decent response from Well Spoken British Man Siri
neilmacd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #41
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Haven't you ever heard of the "new math"? It was all the rage back in the 70's and 80's. The kids from that era now work for the media, spewing forth whatever numbers they get without analysis or question.
LOL, do you mean from the 90's and 00's? In the 80's Math was math, no calculator or Computer allowed in class, got to learn to do calculations by hand, and do it right or else...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #42
OC40
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I'll wager there's some overlap leeway. Or the rounding up/down just created a slight anomaly on the percentages.
This is what I was thinking.
OC40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:09 AM   #43
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
This is what I was thinking.
what happened to quality control??? or fractions?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #44
goobot
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This has never, ever happened to me. Do you only use Siri at 2:00 a.m. when they run their updates?
Around 8 am and then my second most Likely time would be in the late afternoon.
goobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #45
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Hopefully Apple is improving their services faster than they used to.

Siri has seemed better over time for me.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:16 AM   #46
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

My experience of Siri is one of total frustration. Even simple questions like 'Give me directions to from ____ to ____' yields a totally incorrect answer about something completely unrelated. The conversational stuff shown in the adverts is just impossible and must be carefully scripted when its demonstrated. It understands the words I speak but cannot comprehend anything other than syntactically extremely basic questions. After all this time I thought it would have improved more than it has.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:18 AM   #47
vincebio
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to vincebio Send a message via MSN to vincebio Send a message via Yahoo to vincebio Send a message via Skype™ to vincebio
this topic should have had (unless your scottish) in brackets
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #48
anomie
macrumors 6502

I never had a Problem with siri. Nonetheless it is a feature that, if Apple decided to remove it from iOS, I'd need about a month to realize it was gone.
anomie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:23 AM   #49
brianvictor7
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's truly amazing that Apple and Google are able to create these apps. The variation in voice, pronunciation, tone, pitch, amplitude, dialects, languages, and so on is amazing. Having a machine be able to sort this all out with such speed and accuracy is even more amazing.

I finally was able to upgrade to a 5s, and am starting to use Siri more and more every day.
I like your attitude. It truly is amazing that this can be done and I also am using Siri much more since upgrading from my 4S (also switched carriers and got LTE which helped a lot).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM   #50
whootang12
macrumors newbie

When iOS 7 first was released, I got a bunch of "Unable to process your request" errors, but lately she has been great. My latest surprise has been asking "what's a turducken" and in < 2 seconds getting a picture and description. A recent dissapointment was being able to ask about my next appointment, but not being able to figure out how to get directions to my next appointment.

Getting a Kinivo BTC450 bluetooth adapter for my car has significantly increased my use of and dependence on SIRI

Last edited by whootang12; Dec 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
whootang12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion