Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of a significant expansion of its new iTunes Radio product, Apple has hired Michael Pallad to run its iTunes Radio international ad sales team. Pallad was most recently the head of sales for Cumulus Media, the new holding company for what used to be Clear Channel's radio properties. The hire was reported by AdAge.

itunes-radio.jpg
Mr. Pallad started with Apple on December 2 and spent last week at the company's Cupertino, CA, headquarters getting oriented, the people said. Radio industry email newsletter Tom Taylor Now had previously reported that Mr. Pallad may be leaving Cumulus Media to join Apple.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Mr. Pallad will report into the iAd organization led by VP and former Yahoo exec Todd Teresi.

Mr. Pallad's appointment suggests that Apple plans to make a stronger play at the $1.56 billion U.S. digital radio advertising market, as estimated by eMarketer. One media buyer said the executive should gain traction quickly among agencies.
The AM/FM radio advertising market is worth more than $15 billion this year and spending on digital radio is expected to more than double over the next several years.

iTunes Radio, currently available only in the United States, is expected to expand to the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of other countries early next year. Before the iTunes Radio launch, Apple was looking to fill an number of iAd related positions and signing up new advertisers. It's likely this is continuing with the imminent international rollout.

Article Link: Apple Hires New iTunes Radio Ad Sales Executive

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Hey! It's that thing that I liked but kept refusing to play my station and somehow got me to buy Pandora One despite me never having used either before.

How ya doin? :D

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
iTunes Radio kicks ass.. I love it ;) been listening to stand up comedy . Opera , death metal , progressive rock etc , I just love the way it works .. There almost nothing that isn't on there

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I rather meant that up until now we didn't see any implications that the service will be introduced in Europe any time soon.

But I hope they are right though :D

Oh, funny. I had somehow read the entire article as that being the main point. Not sure how I read it like that.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
iTunes Radio kicks ass.. I love it ;) been listening to stand up comedy . Opera , death metal , progressive rock etc , I just love the way it works .. There almost nothing that isn't on there

I've had the opposite results... It has difficulty recognizing certain music genres (electronic-related), and it very often plays same exact songs. I've had the same song play back to back on more than one occasion.

I also think it's ridiculous that despite offering a "premium" service through Match, they still won't allow you to have an unlimited number of skips, so pay or don't pay, you're getting less than what's offered by Pandora.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I've had the opposite results... It has difficulty recognizing certain music genres (electronic-related), and it very often plays same exact songs. I've had the same song play back to back on more than one occasion.

I also think it's ridiculous that despite offering a "premium" service through Match, they still won't allow you to have an unlimited number of skips, so pay or don't pay, you're getting less than what's offered by Pandora.
How is this the exact opposite of what he is saying #? He's saying iTunes Radio has a lot of stations. Your saying that there are songs that play over and over.

Either way. I love iTunes Radio. I tried pandora in my Android days and wasn't a fan. Apple got it on the head with tuneing. I do hope they expand with more labels AND a better playlist system. Liking a song means I like similar songs, not that I want to play the same exact song. Good first gen radio though.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Nah, I'm probably just a bit more cynical/realistic/cognizant (depending on your outlook). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

thanks. was worried i might have a hard time sleeping.

but the irony of this all i found interesting and especially the huge lack of interest in this subject on here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.