Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013

To be quite honest, this is not all that surprising and a rather potent example of one of the major reasons why the mini is here to stay more permanently. If we are to see any change in the design it will be to cater to this (server farm) and HTPC markets, both of which are no small change. even if we forget the symbolic value that stories like this add to Apple Inc...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

How is this news? Because Apple only allows you to create an iOS app on OSX, Facebook had to buy a crap load of Macs. Since an iOS App isn't generally a very powerful app (especially FB) it makes sense just to buy Minis instead of Mac Pros or iMacs. These are just used for testing. It isn't like FB is using Minis to power their servers. That would be news.

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson
well it certainly was news to me and an interesting read, thank you.
Not everyone is right up to date with all the world computing news, so instead of 'putting down' a thread, sometimes its just more prudent to make no comments at all.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
well it certainly was news to me and an interesting read, thank you.
Not everyone is right up to date with all the world computing news, so instead of 'putting down' a thread, sometimes its just more prudent to make no comments at all.

No the OP made it sound like FB is using Mac Minis as their servers when in actuality they are just testing machines. Any corporation that has an iOS app will have a test bed of Nacs of some type. My office just uses base MacBook Pros, but it is no different. We have racks of MacBook Pros for our testers to use. Should I write an article about that as if it was something amazing?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
How is this news? Because Apple only allows you to create an iOS app on OSX, Facebook had to buy a crap load of Macs. Since an iOS App isn't generally a very powerful app (especially FB) it makes sense just to buy Minis instead of Mac Pros or iMacs. These are just used for testing. It isn't like FB is using Minis to power their servers. That would be news.

No the OP made it sound like FB is using Mac Minis as their servers when in actuality they are just testing machines. Any corporation that has an iOS app will have a test bed of Nacs of some type. My office just uses base MacBook Pros, but it is no different. We have racks of MacBook Pros for our testers to use. Should I write an article about that as if it was something amazing?

Bitter much? Jezz it is an article talking about how facebook had to use the MM to produce it mobile app. Maybe if your company had 1 billion users, it too would make the news.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Bitter much? Jezz it is an article talking about how facebook had to use the MM to produce it mobile app. Maybe if your company had 1 billion users, it too would make the news.

Actually I'm not. What would I be bitter about? I'm just pointing out that these are testing machines. The article plays it up as this is something amazing but it isn't. Frankly I gad nothing to do with the mobile app my company created, but I've seen the testing machines. Frankly there are probably thousands of windows testing boxes for testing out their web site and their android app. Is that impressive? No. So why would racks of mac minis for testing iOS apps be impressive? Congrats to FB for buying the cheapest Mac to test their iOS App. Is that better? There is no news to this article. Now if FB was using Minis to drive their servers or if Google was testing Android Apps on Minis then that would be cool.

2trout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Tucson

he did not....'Facebook uses racks of Mac Minis', does not imply at all it uses them as servers or any other particular use, that is your interpretation, nothing more nothing less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.