Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T CEO: Carriers Can't Afford Big Subsidies for Devices Any Longer

Wireless carriers like AT&T and Verizon will not be able to continue the smartphone subsidy model that has driven widespread smartphone penetration to this point. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, speaking at an investor conference today, said the current model is not economically viable, reported CNET.

With more than 75 percent of mobile phone users owning smartphones -- and that number growing towards 90 percent -- Stephenson said carriers will "move into maintenance mode" and that "the model has to change" because carriers "can't afford to subsidize devices like that". Many higher-end smartphone power users also tend to upgrade their phones as often as possible, something that can become expensive for carriers subsidizing those purchases to the tune of hundreds of dollars per device.
Quote:
Stephenson also acknowledged that breaking customers of their habit of upgrading to a new phone every 18 months to two years is not an easy task. But he said a business models focused on financing rather than providing a subsidy would be "transformative" for the industry. He said the company's new AT&T Next program, which offers no-money down and 0-percent financing, drives smartphone penetration in a way that is more sustainable over time.

"If you are a customer and you don't need to upgrade your device, you can get unlimited talk and text and access to the data network for $45 all-in," he said. "You can use your own device or finance it. I think this will be very powerful. It's where we see the market going."
As part of a larger strategy to move away from straight device subsidies, AT&T rolled out its AT&T Next smartphone and tablet upgrade program earlier this year -- following T-Mobile's lead -- to entice customers to pay for devices in full, spreading the payments out over several years with no down payment or upgrade fees.

This month, AT&T introduced a new "value plan" that gives customers a $15/month discount on smartphone plans when users bring an off-contract device, purchase a phone at full retail price, or use an AT&T Next financing plan. The new plans come after several price adjustments to AT&T Next plans as customers analyzed similar offerings from other carriers.

Stephenson noted that carriers have largely solved their data capacity issues because of LTE and can now focus on lower end customers, saying that AT&T will "go very aggressively in the prepaid market".

Apple has seen huge success with the iPhone, largely because of carrier strategies that saw its smartphones heavily subsidized while locking customers into two-year contracts. As demand in Western countries begins to peak, Apple executives have often spoken of the importance of growth in countries where purchasing phones for full-price, with prepaid voice and data plans, is more popular.

Article Link: AT&T CEO: Carriers Can't Afford Big Subsidies for Devices Any Longer
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Johnny Steps
macrumors 6502

Oh boy...
Johnny Steps is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

Yikes...
dannyyankou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:02 AM   #4
portishead
Banned

Go ahead and stop giving me a subsidy. I'll go to Verizon or Sprint.
portishead is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:03 AM   #5
ashwin4
macrumors member

The wireless industry needs a serious shake up. Somehow, someway, sick of Vzw and Att
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:03 AM   #6
goinskiing
macrumors 6502a

Wow, backlash in 3........2.........1.........
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:03 AM   #7
mrongey
macrumors newbie

The carrier that keeps subsidies the longest will have a TON of subscribers.
mrongey is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:03 AM   #8
go4theko
macrumors member

so basically a new way to extort more money out of consumers. I'm sure they make huge profits on forcing basically all phones to have data plans already... unsustainable my boootay
go4theko is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:04 AM   #9
JRomero
macrumors regular

I'm not going to shell out $700 for a new phone every few years. Are they crazy?

EDIT (because I don't need my inbox blowing up with notifications): No I don't upgrade my phone yearly, and I'm not paying $100+ a month on my phone bill like some of you are claiming. Good lord.
16GB iPad mini (black)

Last edited by JRomero; Dec 11, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
JRomero is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:04 AM   #10
chodges
macrumors newbie

Yeah well charge me less for your service if I buy my own device outright and then we can talk about it.
chodges is offline   94 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:05 AM   #11
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrongey View Post
The carrier that keeps subsidies the longest will have a TON of subscribers.
A ton of bad customers too.
lolkthxbai is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:05 AM   #12
TypeEE
macrumors member

I thought subsidy model was for their own good. Stop doing that and people will get an unlock phone and hop between networks. At the end, consumer wins.
TypeEE is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Rad99004
macrumors regular

Looks like a plan to allow AT&T and Verizon to pocket more money and charge the same or more money for your contract. You just wait and see.
Rad99004 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:06 AM   #14
biggest father1
macrumors newbie

I work at a COR AT&T...

It sucks that I have to trick customers everyday to think AT&T has their best interests for them...
biggest father1 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:06 AM   #15
gmanist1000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodges View Post
Yeah well charge me less for your service if I buy my own device outright and then we can talk about it.
Exactly. I'll gladly pay full price for a phone if my phone bill goes down say... $85/month.
gmanist1000 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:07 AM   #16
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

If they can no longer afford the subsidy model, then the monthly plans should be cheaper since users are paying for their own device full price.

That sounds logical but the big three are greedy and want us to pay full price for the device and continue to pay the same price for the plans that payed for the subsidies.
luqtotheman is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:07 AM   #17
DVNIEL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomero View Post
I'm not going to shell out $700 for a new phone every few years. Are they crazy?
They're not referring to you. They're referring to those suckers who "have" to buy a new phone every damn year.
DVNIEL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:08 AM   #18
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Awww poor ATT not making enough money :/

Give me a freaking break.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:08 AM   #19
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This month, AT&T introduced a new "value plan" that gives customers a $15/month discount on smartphone plans when users bring an off-contract device, purchase a phone at full retail price, or use an AT&T Next financing plan.

Is that what you're talking about?
lolkthxbai is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:08 AM   #20
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
They are already doing that.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1681047
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:09 AM   #21
Illusion986
macrumors 6502

Id be interesting to see what kind of impact would apple get on sales if all major carriers went that route....
Illusion986 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:09 AM   #22
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomero View Post
Given that you pay about $200 now per upgrade, you do in fact pay more than $700 for a new phone every 'few years'.

Assuming you upgrade yearly.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:11 AM   #23
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

Of course, they'll stop subsidizing your phone, but I don't expect them to lower your bill for much longer.

Also, keep in mind that AT&T discounts $15/month = $360/2 year contract, but $650 - $200 = $450 for every iPhone. $450 - 360 = $90 extra cost to subsidize an iPhone vs other phones. Similar for Galaxy phones as well.

If they are going to move to a no-subsidy model, the price of the phone should decrease as the year goes on. It makes no sense to pay $650 for a phone when a new model comes out a day later.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:11 AM   #24
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion986 View Post
Id be interesting to see what kind of impact would apple get on sales if all major carriers went that route....
I would venture to guess that sales would go down if all subsidies are taken away, especially without carrier financing.
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:13 AM   #25
Rad99004
macrumors regular

Its criminal what they charge for data anyway.

15 dollars off a month if you choose to not have them subsidize your phone, what a joke !
Rad99004 is offline   19 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion