Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Adds ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, and KORTV Channels to Apple TV

Apple today added yet another set of channels to its Apple TV set-top box, including a "Watch ABC" channel to allow subscribers to certain cable services to watch content from their local ABC affiliate through Apple TV. Other additions include financial channel Bloomberg, streaming movie and TV show channel Crackle, and Korean channel KORTV.

Today's launches are just a few of the many additions for Apple TV over the past few months, with the most recent previous addition having been Yahoo Screen and PBS last month. Other recent additions included Major League Soccer and Disney Junior in September, Vevo, Smithsonian, and Disney in August, and WatchESPN and HBO GO in June. Apple is also reportedly in talks to launch channels for cable provider Time Warner Cable and TV network The CW.

Update: 9to5Mac has a behind the scenes look at the development process for the Bloomberg channel.
Quote:
Apple has already streamlined the process of building its current lineup of Apple TV apps-- which mostly consist of streaming video content-- to the point where developers can quickly and easy build apps through an easy to use SDK, much like on iOS. The team behind the development of the Bloomberg app, which consisted of two developers under Bloomberg's head of mobile and connected devices Oke Okaro, told me that Apple's toolkit, an SDK of sorts, has "made it quite easy to build the apps." The team of two developers along with Okaro built the app in just five weeks. Most of that time was spent testing and optimizing the video experience.
Apple reportedly provided some input and feedback along the way in terms of optimizing the user experience, but largely allowed Bloomberg to define what it wanted to include in the channel.

Article Link: Apple Adds ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, and KORTV Channels to Apple TV
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

Can we have a Plex channel please?
Sky Blue is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
macrumors 65816

It's great that they keep adding channels/apps to the Apple TV .... but now they are at the point where a major UI rewrite is required, it is getting to cluttered and the 'channels' are not integrated, but instead separate without e.g. common search interface for shows/movies/... etc

Last edited by 0815; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fixed typo
0815 is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
isepic
macrumors newbie

Would be great to have the ability to hide some of the channels not interested in, now that they have so many.
isepic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
dvswede
macrumors member

It's clear they are working on adding contact to the Apple TV. That said the menu system just doesn't feel right with so many apps. Also I really want to search for a show I want to see not decide what app to enter first to search for it.

I hope they have something better in the works. As it is I find that I mainly use NetFlix and the apple apps.
dvswede is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #6
isepic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Can we have a Plex channel please?
Yes! I 2nd this!
isepic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #7
snowbaked
macrumors newbie

I'm seeing KORTV show up in the UK but sadly not the disney channel, although probably a good thing as my kids would want to be glued to it.
snowbaked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #8
eltaurus
macrumors regular

PLEXAPP for rest of the world...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
hrMACnstuff
macrumors newbie

Apple must get big cable payoffs for doing this.

The trend is away from ever escalating cable bills. If they want to provide a reason to buy an Apple TV, they should buy Roku. That's the future. With a lot of luck, Comcast, DirecTV, Dish and Time-Warner will become the next Blockbuster. Remember them?
hrMACnstuff is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:34 AM   #10
vtstarck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isepic View Post
Would be great to have the ability to hide some of the channels not interested in, now that they have so many.
You can. Go into the Parental Restrictions in Settings. Hide apps.
vtstarck is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
cpatterson1177
macrumors newbie

Awesome, more channels that I can't watch because I don't subscribe to a cable or satellite service.
cpatterson1177 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
MacGeek1987
macrumors member

The absence of Amazon Instant Video is still baffling.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

way too much overlapping content

do I watch a show on ABC, iTunes App Rentals, or Netflix ?!

just give me ONE short cut button to the show I want

and the ability to delete all the Cartoon / NHL / Hulu / QVC channels I don't need

Alumeenium is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:37 AM   #14
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You can rearrange them for now which is good enough for me. I think we will see more functionality as they add app capability to the ATV.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:37 AM   #15
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

this is all good news...however now it is a bit more cumbersome to navigate.

And then we need to "activate" some channels. Hopefully ABC is a non-activation one.

This will be nice see how it works out. I also wish it was easier to switch over to this from the TV/Fios box.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:40 AM   #16
jctech
macrumors newbie

Still unable to install 3rd party apps

Still no XBMC, unless you jailbreak it...
jctech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Mistrblank
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
It's great that they keep adding channels/apps to the Apple TV .... but know they are a point where a major UI rewrite is required, it is getting to cluttered and the 'channels' are not integrated, but instead separate without e.g. common search interface for shows/movies/... etc
Agreed. My AppleTV was never bought to support all of this.

They just get in the way of the few "channels" I did want (Netflix, Hulu, the apple media defaults).

All of these additions were supported by my iDevices streaming to the TV. I don't browse Vimeo or Youtube on the AppleTV, it's a terrible interface. I'd rather grab my phone, search and push the stream to the AppleTV.

I can't even use half of these because they require cable plans. I probably won't use ABC channel because it doesn't have anything useful, and what useful things it has, I can't get at easily.
Mistrblank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:43 AM   #18
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

so, I just checked out Apple.com

for WATCH ABC the asterisk said this:
Free with your subscription through participating cable and satellite providers.

What stinks is my parents have NEVER subscribed to cable/satellite/dish/etc. They are still using their HUGE antenna on the roof for HDTV (quite clear too) broadcasts. They can easily watch ABC on TV or online BUT seems they won't be able to with Apple TV.

I understand this is probably an ABC thing and not something Apple dictated but it SUCKS! especially since ABC is an Over-The-Air network!
BJMRamage is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #19
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek1987 View Post
The absence of Amazon Instant Video is still baffling.
Except that Amazon is a direct competitor to Apple and I doubt both companies are interested in adding an Amazon Video app to the Apple TV. Having it on iOS is one thing but directly on the Apple TV is another (especially with Amazon soon launching an Apple TV-like device of their own).

That being said, I'd love an Amazon video app on the Apple TV but for now using AirPlay to send it from the iPad works great.
neuropsychguy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #20
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
It's great that they keep adding channels/apps to the Apple TV .... but know they are a point where a major UI rewrite is required, it is getting to cluttered and the 'channels' are not integrated, but instead separate without e.g. common search interface for shows/movies/... etc
Not to mention separate logins for every app/channel. It's a mess.
zhenya is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #21
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You can. Under the parental settings.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #22
EvilQueen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson1177 View Post
Awesome, more channels that I can't watch because I don't subscribe to a cable or satellite service.
Yea and what's up with some of the channels? Crunchyroll? Really? And WTF is up with KORTV?
EvilQueen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #23
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

I glanced at the title and thought it said 'BBC'. One letter out
EmpyreanUK is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #24
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistrblank View Post
I can't even use half of these because they require cable plans. I probably won't use ABC channel because it doesn't have anything useful, and what useful things it has, I can't get at easily.
Hiding apps is easy: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2013/10/.../#.UqiIq6Xzaf0
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #25
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Open it Up

I strongly dislike my Apple TV. Even the Netflix App pretty much sucks on it. However, I HAD to get two of them just because I have 140 Digital Copy movies that will only play on stupid iTunes - and the iTunes Extras ONLY work on the computer. When you rent an iTunes movie on your computer it won't even play on the Apple TV.

I wish Apple would open it up like the Roku box and give us some sort of control over what Apps gets put on there and not put on there. Where is Epix? What a freaking garbage product, Apple should be ashamed...
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion