Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
Well done!

Thank-you leighonigar for taking the time to review EVERY photo and your specific feedback on my image. I also would have picked MacRy's photo. An excellent example of when to use HDR without being overdone. I enjoy MacRy's other HDR interiors that he posted even more and hope he might share the exposure & post processing details. If not, I fully understand. Kudos to Needfx for his photo and efforts. Thank-you for the background information. I learned a great deal and that's why I participate in this forum!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Thank-you leighonigar for taking the time to review EVERY photo and your specific feedback on my image. I also would have picked MacRy's photo. An excellent example of when to use HDR without being overdone. I enjoy MacRy's other HDR interiors that he posted even more and hope he might share the exposure & post processing details. If not, I fully understand. Kudos to Needfx for his photo and efforts. Thank-you for the background information. I learned a great deal and that's why I participate in this forum!

Thanks for the comments. Happy to share my settings and PP. Not strictly speaking HDR, but processed to give that kind of effect:

The exterior of the church was a single exposure taken at 1/100sec at f5.6, ISO 200.

Processed in Lightroom 5 with these settings:

Dropped the exposure by half a stop
Increased contrast by 11
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +39 (until I found the white point)
Blacks -53 (to find black point)
Clarity +100
Vibrancy +17

Noise reduction luminance +62
Detail +50

Vignette amount -37

Similar treatment for the interiors but without a vignette and they were also shot at f5.6 but at ISO1250 and shutter speeds between 1/70 and 1/280

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Apple fanboy: I think that it is the sign that makes this image: 'laser combat arena' transforms a fairly dull photograph of demolition into a rather humorous and puzzling image - did a game get out of hand? Were the lasers a little too powerful?? It looks as though you used some flash for this shot which seems to have been a good move.
yes this picture was all about the humour of the sign. I saw it on the way home one night and knew the next morning would be my only chance to grab it. I didn't have a lot of time, so grabbed a few shots. It was only just getting light so I fiddled in LR to get a brighter exposure, but still wasn't entirely happy.

Winners:

This was hard to break up in some ways but I have to choose...

1st: MacRy - Hard work pays off.

2nd: JoeRito - a photograph worthy of a wall or a history book.

3rd: needfx - props for working on something different.

MacRy to make the next thread.

Congrats to the winners and thanks for taking the time on the CC. Personally I liked needfx for originality, and the expression.

----------

Thanks for the comments. Happy to share my settings and PP. Not strictly speaking HDR, but processed to give that kind of effect:

The exterior of the church was a single exposure taken at 1/100sec at f5.6, ISO 200.

Processed in Lightroom 5 with these settings:

Dropped the exposure by half a stop
Increased contrast by 11
Highlights -100
Shadows +100
Whites +39 (until I found the white point)
Blacks -53 (to find black point)
Clarity +100
Vibrancy +17

Noise reduction luminance +62
Detail +50

Vignette amount -37

Similar treatment for the interiors but without a vignette and they were also shot at f5.6 but at ISO1250 and shutter speeds between 1/70 and 1/280

Thanks for taking the time for the pp feedback. Always good to see what others do in pp. Congrats by the way.

----------

congrats to MacRy, everyone & thanks leighonigar for your input

we had real fun preparing this, some behind the scenes and test shots for your viewing pleasure

Great shot this month, and I love the originality of it all. Great to see the production behind the shot as well. Well done.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Congratulations everyone! It's always very interesting to read the constructive criticism at the end of the contests though, of course, not something that everyone can do. Great job!

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Congratulations everyone! It's always very interesting to read the constructive criticism at the end of the contests though, of course, not something that everyone can do. Great job!

Yes, and because it's just one person who decides the winner I think it gives different styles a chance from week to week. Obviously some photographs are better than others, but the way different people see a range of already good photos is bound to be varied.

I was aware that when I was writing my comments I did find myself focusing on elements that I felt were not essential but within the frame - perhaps I am just easily distracted! I do think that taking the comments of a range of independent viewers to heart has the potential to really improve your picture taking. That said, there is always room for a maverick!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Congrats to the winners and thanks for taking the time on the CC. Personally I liked needfx for originality, and the expression.

----------

Thanks for taking the time for the pp feedback. Always good to see what others do in pp. Congrats by the way.

----------

Great shot this month, and I love the originality of it all. Great to see the production behind the shot as well. Well done.

Yes, and because it's just one person who decides the winner I think it gives different styles a chance from week to week. Obviously some photographs are better than others, but the way different people see a range of already good photos is bound to be varied.

I was aware that when I was writing my comments I did find myself focusing on elements that I felt were not essential but within the frame - perhaps I am just easily distracted! I do think that taking the comments of a range of independent viewers to heart has the potential to really improve your picture taking. That said, there is always room for a maverick!

thanks Apple Fanboy!

thanks Leighonigar, being an objective judge is one of the hardest things to do since we are always subject to our own criteria. Well done!!

since technical stuff & post production have been dropped in the thread, here's some more.

equipment : canon 6d, ef 24-105L, 600 ex rt (3 pieces), st-e3 rt
exposure : 105mm, 1/6sec, f/9, iso-100
flash : A - 1/2 CTB | B - 1/8 | C - 1/16 (all in manual)

post production : just rubber stamped some rogue hair. no further image manipulation.

fun fact : I have been involved with photography as a hobby for about a year and a half.

Attachments

• flash setup.jpg
    flash setup.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Facial Reconstruction Crew_Small_prepost.jpg
    Facial Reconstruction Crew_Small_prepost.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Facial Reconstruction Crew_Small.jpg
    Facial Reconstruction Crew_Small.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 95

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
Lightroom - HDR

Thanks again MacRy. I had convinced myself that these were HDR images. Primarily because the outside (through the windows) and the interiors were both exposed correctly. In addition, the original image of the schoolhouse exterior had a few halos in the upper corners around the trees. I am not a Lightroom user but if you can get these results I'm almost sold. Again, nicely done!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Thanks again MacRy. I had convinced myself that these were HDR images. Primarily because the outside (through the windows) and the interiors were both exposed correctly. In addition, the original image of the schoolhouse exterior had a few halos in the upper corners around the trees. I am not a Lightroom user but if you can get these results I'm almost sold. Again, nicely done!

Bugger, I didn't even notice those halos around the trees!

You can get some pretty nice results in Lightroom. Bearing in mind that was also a JPEG from an X100 and not a RAW file.

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
Bugger, I didn't even notice those halos around the trees!

You can get some pretty nice results in Lightroom. Bearing in mind that was also a JPEG from an X100 and not a RAW file.

In your photo the halos aren't really a big deal because your eye is draw to the interior. I only noticed because I was looking for evidence of an HDR. Thanks for education!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.