Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Spotify Announces New Free Listening Tiers for Mobile Devices

Spotify today announced the introduction of new free listening tiers for its mobile customers, with separate options available for both tablets and smartphones. Previously, Spotify limited its free listening to desktop users, requiring a $9.99 monthly subscription for music access on mobile devices beyond Spotify's free radio streaming.

On the iPad, the Spotify app will function similarly to the current free desktop version of the app, permitting users to search for specific tracks, build playlists, and listen to content for free.

On the iPhone, Spotify's service is built around shuffling, much like similar services from Pandora and iTunes Radio. Customers can search for a specific artist or song, but will be required to shuffle through an artist's catalog to access the music. Pre-compiled playlists can also be accessed, but unlimited search and listen access is not available.
Quote:
- Your music: Listen to all the playlists you've created and playlists from the people you follow. Spotify lets you discover new music, save, shuffle and share.

- Your favourite artists: Want to listen to a certain artist? Just hit shuffle play, sit back and listen to their entire catalogue. Don't settle for something similar. Don't settle for just one track from the artist you want to hear every 20 minutes.

- Discover great new playlists: Going for a jog or to the gym? We've got the playlist to help you go the extra mile. We know you just want the perfect music for a specific moment in time - and we've got you covered. There's something for every mood, genre or moment.
The difference between the iPhone app and the iPad app comes from Spotify's decision to treat the iPad as a PC. Subscribers who pay Spotify's $9.99 per month fee will have exclusive access to offline playlists along with the ability to select specific songs for playback.

Along with new free listening options on mobile devices, Spotify today also announced that it has added the full catalog of Led Zeppelin albums and expanded to 20 new markets around the world.

Spotify's free services will be available beginning today. The Spotify app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify Announces New Free Listening Tiers for Mobile Devices
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Derekeys
macrumors member

Yes

YAY!!!

Just made my day.
Derekeys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
RebornProphet
macrumors regular

Let me guess though, US only for now?
RebornProphet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Not sure why they didn't make the smartphone and tablet experience the same. That would've made a lot more sense to the end-user.

I re-downloaded the Spotify app to my iPhone today when I heard they were launching the mobile service free wth ads today. When I realized that on the iPhone, at least, it's just like iTunes Radio and Pandora, I immediately deleted the Spotify app. No need to have a third app that does the same thing as the other two.
avanpelt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Sounds like a bizarre compromise. I'll give it a go and see if it's any better than iTunes Radio (which isn't very good, so I don't use it. I've fed it with death metal before and it tried telling me children's country songs are similar.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Not sure why they didn't make the smartphone and tablet experience the same. That would've made a lot more sense to the end-user.
probably those greedy labels to be blamed
bushido is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:30 PM   #7
ZildjianLudwig
macrumors newbie

This is great for iPad, but it's not MUCH new for the iPhone. Spotify Radio has been around for ages, and was free for iPhone.

To be sure, now we can shuffle playlists or an artist, etc. But unless that's something you'll actually use (which I won't), this isn't anything new on your phone.

Not complaining, just don't want the iPhone impact to be misunderstood or blown out of proportion.
ZildjianLudwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the free listening has to be tied to Facebook? If not, I will give it a try. If it is, for me this is DOA.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #9
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Is this supposed to be live already? On the iPhone/iPod version, I can't listen to my playlists, which it sounds like is something I'm supposed to be able to do now. There is no app update, nor should one really be required since Premium users can already stream without changing the app--I assume this is done server-side.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Some sources are reporting there's a new app. Maybe Apple hasn't approved it yet?

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I was right before. It's working now.

Last edited by RMo; Dec 11, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
RMo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #10
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Well this is pretty cool.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #11
WDE87
macrumors member

Wait what?

So do I NOT need to pay $9.99/month in order to have the full service on my iPhone and computer now?
WDE87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
ZildjianLudwig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE87 View Post
Wait what?

So do I NOT need to pay $9.99/month in order to have the full service on my iPhone and computer now?
Incorrect. You can shuffle an artist/playlist for free. To pick a song on-demand (on your iPhone), you must still pay.

This headline is all kinds of misleading ....

----------

This would be a really useful graphic to include:
ZildjianLudwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:59 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 601

its working now
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Unlimited desktop-like listening live on the iPad now too.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Bare
macrumors member

Spotify Premium is worth it. Been listening to any song I want to whenever I want with no interruption for months. Fantastic.
Bare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #16
RebornProphet
macrumors regular

This is fantastic on the iPad, superb from the Spotify guys.
RebornProphet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:05 PM   #17
DarrenUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornProphet View Post
This is fantastic on the iPad, superb from the Spotify guys.
I couldn't agree more, now one of the best apps on my iPad.
DarrenUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #18
v0lume4
macrumors regular

I absolutely love Spotify. I have Premium for $10 a month. I cannot tell you the money it's saved me, I used to easily buy more than $10 worth of songs a month.

I hope maybe this will drive their premium subscriber base up!
v0lume4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
dreamsINdigital
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I re-downloaded the Spotify app to my iPhone today when I heard they were launching the mobile service free wth ads today. When I realized that on the iPhone, at least, it's just like iTunes Radio and Pandora, I immediately deleted the Spotify app. No need to have a third app that does the same thing as the other two.
It's actually different. It's better since you can shuffle play your own playlists with songs that you pick yourself. That allows for more selective listening than just playing an artist station. Not sure if that's what you thought was new; the artist stations like Pandora/iTunes Radio have been part of Spotify for awhile now.
dreamsINdigital is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
moetownslick
macrumors member

i think it's a bit different than the current "artist radio" function, in that its current incarnation starts off with the artist you chose, but then branches off into other artists (a la Pandora). This new incarnation lets you ONLY listen to one artist, which i like. Sometimes, i ONLY want to listen to frank sinatra and not have it roll off into tony bennett, etc.
moetownslick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #21
zorinlynx
macrumors 68000

What is the reasoning for restricting what you can do more on a phone than a tablet?

I've noticed an increasing amount of "device discrimination" of this sort lately. For example, "Watch ABC" on the Apple TV requires a cable subscription, but not on the iPhone or iPad. Some YouTube videos are blocked on "mobile devices", but can be viewed just fine on a laptop or desktop.

The user gets the same content regardless, why discriminate on type of device?
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Tazjin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
When I realized that on the iPhone, at least, it's just like iTunes Radio and Pandora, I immediately deleted the Spotify app
It's not, you can still create and shuffle your own playlists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
What is the reasoning for restricting what you can do more on a phone than a tablet?
That's not a question for Spotify but a question for rights holders.
Tazjin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:10 AM   #23
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

I prefer shuffling my music anyway. Another reason Spotify > everyone else
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:48 AM   #24
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Tried Spotify a while back. Loved the concept but could not tolerate the way the ads were about 10x louder than the music and the obnoxious way the ads paused if you muted your computer's volume. Got fed up with having to reach for the volume controls so frequently. I sent them a complaint and stopped using it, but they just sent me back a form response and an offer for a month free which I didn't use. A shame that such a great idea is ruined by such an easily fixed flaw.

EDIT: Also really, really hated the way the desktop app kept insisting on pulling in my iTunes library whether I told it to do so or not. It completely ignored my preferences settings to not look at my iTunes playlists. In addition to my gripe about the ad volume, Spotify's creators need to tone it down a little and be a little less aggressive with their customers. There's no reason the desktop app can't ask politely if it's okay to import your iTunes playlists on the first launch. A really obnoxious application.
inkswamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:43 PM   #25
dreamsINdigital
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I've noticed an increasing amount of "device discrimination" of this sort lately. For example, "Watch ABC" on the Apple TV requires a cable subscription, but not on the iPhone or iPad. Some YouTube videos are blocked on "mobile devices", but can be viewed just fine on a laptop or desktop.

The user gets the same content regardless, why discriminate on type of device?
There would be much less of an incentive to subscribe to their monthly service.
dreamsINdigital is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion