Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bethesda and Zenimax today announced that it plans to release The Elder Scrolls Online MMO on Friday, April 4, 2014 on both the Mac and the PC, with a console release coming later in June.

elderscrolls.jpg
The Elder Scrolls Online, initially announced in mid-2012, is part of the Elder Scrolls franchise, which has included open world role-playing games like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Like other games in the series, The Elder Scrolls Online is set on the continent of Tamriel and will feature a storyline that is indirectly connected with the storylines from previous games, set 1,000 years before the events of Skyrim. Along with a release date, a new trailer for the game is also available.

According to Game Director Matt Firor, major systems development has been completed and the development team is focused on polishing content, improving combat, and fixing bugs.
Game development is coming along very well. We completed major systems development, and are focusing on making this the Elder Scrolls game you expect: polishing the hundreds and hundreds of hours of content, making combat even more fun and responsive, fixing quest issues, and much, much more. In fact, we plan on spending the next few months before launch reacting to the latest feedback from internal and external testers and gameplay data we have collected.
The Elder Scrolls Online has been in beta testing for the last year, and the company plans to expand beta testing opportunities ahead of the game's April release.

Article Link: Elder Scrolls Online Coming to Mac in April of 2014

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Beta Testing it...

on the PC partition on my Mac and I can tell you it's pretty freakin' awesome. I can't wait to try it on my mac partition :D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As long as it's not a cider port...

I hope this is a sign that Bethesda is acknowledging the Mac exists. It would be great to see Dishonored, Skyrim, and the inevitable Fallout 4 get ports.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Skyrim and fallout 3 are right up there with Zelda ocarina of time . MGS , silent hill .. These are games that I love playing over and over again .. I haven't played any elder scrolls apart from skyrim but , if it's anything like skyrim and fallout , my wife is gonna hate me come 2014

Florals

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
Aaaaawww yiss!

I am SO looking forward to this. Let's just hope it's not a sub-standard port.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Fallout 3 is my favourite game I all time and I live all the elder scrolls titles, but based on past history, Bethesda doesn't exactly have a spotless track record of bug free games! :p

It will be interesting how an MMO holds together. Might be the first MMO to actually hold me in, instead of feeling tacky like every other one. If it can play like skyrim, but multiplayer, I'll be hooked. For example GTA Online's sort of MMO is highly addictive. Doing free roam, aced and deatmatches, owning cars planes and property, player customisation and upgrades, and all in a world with other players. Get it this fun and my life will be ruined in the best way possible :D

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Very skeptical about this. All Bethesda games so far had a totally broken gameplay mechanics - I would not trust them to deliver an MMO. They should stick to overrated single-player games.

P.S. It also has a subscription feel. Very likely it will go down the path of SWTOR and Conan...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Neat that it's launching on so many platforms. Won't save it though. Unless it changes drastically from beta, the game is just more of the boring same. Not something most will pay a monthly subscription for.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
As long as it's not a cider port...

I hope this is a sign that Bethesda is acknowledging the Mac exists. It would be great to see Dishonored, Skyrim, and the inevitable Fallout 4 get ports.

Agreed. If they released Fallout 3/nv and 4 for Mac, I would delete my Windows partition.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I it can play like skyrim, but multiplayer, I'll be hooked. D

Having played in the beta, it does not play like this. I wish I had better news.

----------

Neat that it's launching on so many platforms. Won't save it though. Unless it changes drastically from beta, the game is just more of the boring same. Not something most will pay a monthly subscription for.

Fur Sure, I'm a BIG fan of the Elder Scrolls games but when I played in the beta it felt like the most generic thing I'd ever played. I was really disappointed. Maybe it will be better at launch but it seems like most of the gameplay mechanics are in place.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Does WoW or Eve Online have mods? I don't see how you can have mods for an online RPG.

(If they do have mods I'll feel pretty embarrassed)

Wow has tons of mods. Eve online doens't.

What's the problem you see with mods for an online RPG? Much of what goes on in the UI is client side.

----------

Having played in the beta, it does not play like this. I wish I had better news.

----------

Fur Sure, I'm a BIG fan of the Elder Scrolls games but when I played in the beta it felt like the most generic thing I'd ever played. I was really disappointed. Maybe it will be better at launch but it seems like most of the gameplay mechanics are in place.

I'll second the disappointment.

Before my beta weekend was even over, I went back to playing other online RPG's.

The graphical world is very dull. Movement doesn't feel right. Combat is meh. Questing and dialogue is dull. Achievement is pretty dull. Itemization is dull. Lore and story was dull. They are heavy on voice acting and dialogue which doesn't work well in MMO's.

So far the game makes me sad. I was hoping for something with appeal. Something that draws you in. Still in beta, but to fix it for me would require a wipe and redo from scratch.
:(

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
Always good news to hear about large titles coming to mac. The downside is, the performance compared to Windows is still lacking.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
It's good for people who are interested, but I would far prefer a native version of Skyrim. Although maybe it not existing has saved me another 300 hours of my life…

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
If they keep releasing stuff faster than I can make money, my wife will end up divorcing me. :eek: Then again, that would mean more free time. :D

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
It is a native version not a cider port like that crap bunch of bugs of Guild Wars 2.
I can't wait!

Sophie.

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
Does WoW or Eve Online have mods? I don't see how you can have mods for an online RPG.

(If they do have mods I'll feel pretty embarrassed)

EVE doesn't have add-ons, CCP considers any client modification to be a game exploit, even with things such as SweetFX. EVE already includes quite a customizable UI and the game itself is quite interface centric so CCP are very particular about having control there. The reason for this is because you could manipulate things such as lighting to reveal cloaked ships in space, or reconfigure the Overview (practically your eyes in space for all things data) to give you an unfair advantage, although CCP do allow importing of XML configuration files so long as the settings are using configuration options already in the game). The closest we have to add-ons are third party applications that gather your information by cache scraping from the API key system. That allows you to check your skills, training, wallet balance and things like market orders in out of game applications.

EVE is however a cider port sadly and isn't always on parity with Windows' native client, (The Windows version was recently updated for DirectX 11 whilst the base client in the Cider wrapper on OS X is still using DirectX 9).

As for Elder Scrolls Online, it would be nice to see a native port, I'd like to see WoW unseated as the top dog of Fantasy MMOs since it's held that position for too long in my own opinion.

InfernoShade

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Wow has tons of mods. Eve online doens't.

What's the problem you see with mods for an online RPG? Much of what goes on in the UI is client side.

----------

I'll second the disappointment.

Before my beta weekend was even over, I went back to playing other online RPG's.

The graphical world is very dull. Movement doesn't feel right. Combat is meh. Questing and dialogue is dull. Achievement is pretty dull. Itemization is dull. Lore and story was dull. They are heavy on voice acting and dialogue which doesn't work well in MMO's.

So far the game makes me sad. I was hoping for something with appeal. Something that draws you in. Still in beta, but to fix it for me would require a wipe and redo from scratch.
:(

Bummer. I love Skyrim, so this is sad to hear. BTW what games would you recommend - online and offline RPGs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.