Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
With Google Chrome and this, Google essentially now has released Chrome OS for Mac. But I agree. If there only was some killer app for the web out there... I still consider them largely lightweight and usually feature-limited versions of native apps for Mac.

So Macs can run OS X, Windows, AND Chrome OS now? I guess a Mac really is the only computer you'll ever need. :D

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
No thanks. I just had to uninstall the google play app, it was messing my system up. Curse this Nexus 4 I'm stuck with. Time to get a new iPhone, but I'm holding out for the 6....

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Google has a long and strong history of creating new projects, letting the public become dependent on them and then trashing the project, discontinuing it so you loose your functionality and data.

Avoid like the plague.

A bit like iDisk then? and @me.com email addresses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended
Google has a long and strong history of creating new projects, letting the public become dependent on them and then trashing the project, discontinuing it so you loose your functionality and data.

Avoid like the plague.

What? Wave and Reader? Those were the two biggies, and the whole reason they cancelled those was due to the fact there weren't enough people using them to justify their upkeep.

Most everything else they've cancelled weren't cancelled outright, but rather ended up being recombined with other services. And hell, everyone does that. Even Apple. Don't see why Google is so much worse here.

Last edited:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Avoid like the plague.

You are totally right! Remember when Google pulled the plug on Android, Youtube, Gmail, Google.com, Chrome, Google Docs and the Nexus line of phones? I sure do and everything crashed and burned. I'm sure there are many more popular Google things out there that they destroyed much to the absolute horror of their users.

Freedom from choice is a better thing. :apple:

I hope that icon at the end of your post is a "Granny Sarcasm" or a "Mockery Delicious" apple.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Only a few things available right after a service launches? Shocking! Almost as if it takes times for the full suite to get ported over.

----------

If you don't think Apple does it, you're fooling yourself.

Note that I did not in any way, shape, or form defend what Google does.

Apple specifically has said it does not engage in this practice. Moreover, Apple's business model is much different then Googles.

Further, Google calls home repeatedly. This is especially bad when using Chrome, Little Snitch verified this. Moreover, it does it even when you delete its apps. I had to go into the terminal to get rid if Google tools that dialed home even when I had no Google apps on my Mac. Apple apps rarely call home.

robwormald

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
a classic macrumors circle-jerk in here.

As a longtime iOS + web developer, I'm loving writing chrome apps. Only takes a slight adjustment from writing standard HTML5 webapps.

I write primarily internal-use enterprise apps, and deployment of cross-platform applications is a nightmare. chrome apps make it stupidly simple.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
This is how Troy fell.

Funny you mention that. One of the "appeals" of OS/2 was that it could run Windows apps. The result was developers stopped bothering to develop for OS/2. Long term Google would love for everybody to develop Chrome apps not in addition to OSX/Windows but instead of OSX/Windows. Troy indeed.

John Bokma

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Considering they are apps written by developers, I'm not sure how that is relevant.

Allow me to explain. Some of those developers already work for Google. If the app is very successful Google might buy it ... Google is a data collection company and I think it's a very good thing to keep both eyes wide open and think about the actual cost of their offers.

You must have trouble navigating the internet, huh?
Is it really that hard to join a discussion without childish remarks like this?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Avoid like the plague.
A bit like iDisk then? and @me.com email addresses?

And AppleWorks, and iDVD, and iWeb, and Bento… Anyone else?

I trust Apple more than I trust Google when it comes to the privacy of my personal information, but when it comes to unceremoniously dropping support for software and services, let's be honest here!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Allow me to explain. Some of those developers already work for Google. If the app is very successful Google might buy it ... Google is a data collection company and I think it's a very good thing to keep both eyes wide open and think about the actual cost of their offers.

Unless you use a program like Little Snitch and have a good eye for potentially obfuscated code (when you even have access to it) you can't be certain that Google isn't accessed at some point in the line. MacRumors.com for instance has a good 50kb of Ajax code running straight from Google's own servers; do you have any idea what it does or what data they are pulling?

You could drive yourself crazy following through on all this and you don't even know at what points they are taking data. I'm also not certain that they could get anything worthwhile out of an (webcentric) app than they already have; furthermore, if they were perusing your hard drive I doubt that nobody would notice.

On a separate note, you might enjoy reading Planet Google by Randall Stross. It's a quick read and it's very interesting (albeit a bit outdated, comparatively speaking).

Is it really that hard to join a discussion without childish remarks like this?

Sometimes, yes. Why do you ask?

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
Err... someone has it on their Mac already, hello.

So how do I get mine??? Where did they get the Gmail app??? I don't see it on Google App Store. :confused:

They're already in the folder that this puts on your desktop post install. I downloaded the Keep app (great app btw) and everything was in there.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What's the difference between these "apps" and loading the url icon to the dock?

Better visibility, I guess. Before, you may have 1-2 google apps, depending on which met your needs. Now, you get to see the whole library of google apps, which increases the chance of you trying out the other apps tout weren't already using?

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
This may be nothing, or we will look back on this five years from now as the moment Google started beating the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.