Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Did not search this out because the search function of the forum has not worked for some time for me.

I got a second monitor to connect up with my iMac. Found out it only works when connected to the thunderbolt outlet next to the ethernet input. The other thunderbolt will not work on the external monitor. It might be I am uninformed as to a setting that might change it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I got a second monitor to connect up with my iMac. Found out it only works when connected to the thunderbolt outlet next to the ethernet input. The other thunderbolt will not work on the external monitor. It might be I am uninformed as to a setting that might change it.

There should be no difference about which Thunderbolt port to use when plugging in an external display.
Is your external display an Apple Thunderbolt display - or something else?
If another display, what brand and model of display, and what type of video connection are you using with that display? Are you using a Mini DisplayPort adapter of some kind?
If you NEED both thunderbolt ports, and one is not working, then you need to get your new iMac serviced (it would be in warranty, correct?)

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
There should be no difference about which Thunderbolt port to use when plugging in an external display.
Is your external display an Apple Thunderbolt display - or something else?
If another display, what brand and model of display, and what type of video connection are you using with that display? Are you using a Mini DisplayPort adapter of some kind?
If you NEED both thunderbolt ports, and one is not working, then you need to get your new iMac serviced (it would be in warranty, correct?)

NOT an Apple........using an HP S2031 with an Apple VGA adapter. I have decided I am satisfied with using just the iMac. Took the adapter back to Best-Buy because putting that old HP display beside my mack was not a very good match up. I don't know why the other thunderbolt did not connect, with the HP. Maybe it would have with an Apple. but did not want the 27in too big and a weird looking setup. Too bad they don't make a 21.5 the size of the iMac.

What else could I plug into the second Thunderbolt outlet to check if it works. My system is about 4 or 5 months old.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your HP S2031 has a DVI connection, too.
I would suggest trying that connection to see if that allows the use of the other Thunderbolt port. You would need the correct Thunderbolt to DVI adapter, of course.
Yes, it shouldn't make a difference, but the connection, being all digital, may then function (or not - no way to know unless you try it)

And, you test the ports by plugging in a Thunderbolt device of some kind.
And - if you have one, you already know that they sell at a premium price.
If you don't have a Thunderbolt device, other than an adapter for one external display, then you only need that one port anyway…. Test the other port with a borrowed device - or take to an Apple store, or maybe an authorized repair center if you have one local to you. Explain your situation, and you should be able to hook up some device just to test.

You COULD boot to your hardware test - although I don't know if the test will show anything for a port that doesn't see a device attached. The test may simply not report anything - but might be worth doing. Restart to your hardware test (Restart, holding the letter D on your keyboard. You should boot to the hardware test. Run both the standard and extended tests. You're supposed to disconnect any external devices to run the test, so might be pointless anyway. But, you can check if any error codes are reported)

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Deltra-Mac.......The adapter I purchased was not Apple...........it was sold by Rocket Fish who are supposed to be as good, Best Buy were out of the name brand so I got it. But as I stated it was returned because of how hokey the HP looked beside my iMac......yeah I know i'm being picky. But just for the heck of it I am going to purchase the DVI connection and see if both Thunderbolt outputs work. Thanks for you advise. I'm just an old fart who has use PC's for what seems to be forever, but the new Win 8 got to me with all the touch screen junk. So I added an iMac to my network and use in most of the time, trying to learn the new ways of doing the same stuff PC's do, but with a new twist. I like OS X Mavericks fine.
Choctaw

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I'm still trying to get past the notion that Best Buy's Rocket Fish brand is "supposed to be as good" as Apple!

I only used the Rocket Fish brand cause the Apple Service center of Best Buy did not have the Apple brand on hand. I was not in anyway downgrading the Apple product, if they had the Apple connection I would have gotten it. But did not want to drive 40 miles to the Apple store, which now I will have to do, if I want to see if it works on both of my thunderbolt outlets.

The new external G-drive I have was purchased at the Apple Store. There are many things they are selling for the Apple products that are not made by Apple. The Rocket Fish connection is not one of them.

----------

What do you mean by "other thunderbolt"

There are 2 TB outlets on the RT side of the 4 USB ports. ON the new 2013 model I have.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Choctaw, I understand the point you've made. My nearby Best Buy-type store is "good enough" when I cannot make the 45-minute journey to the local Apple Store.

Here's hoping you can resolve your port issue without additional difficulty.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Choctaw, I understand the point you've made. My nearby Best Buy-type store is "good enough" when I cannot make the 45-minute journey to the local Apple Store.

Here's hoping you can resolve your port issue without additional difficulty.

Thanks for your reply...........I am wanting to let this ride for now. It is no big deal as I stated the HP looks so out of place besides my new iMac I think just using the 21.5 screen will be fine. I am concerned why the connection of one of the Thunderbolts output would not work, but heck not going to use either of them unless Apple makes a 21.5 matching display to go with the iMac.

So lets forget about my troubles, they are not important anymore. End of the situation.

Thanks to all for not jumping on my case over something that had little importance anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.