Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is now available for download in the App Store, after being announced back in late November. First introduced back in 2004 for the PlayStation 2, GTA: San Andreas was the third 3-D game in the series.

GTA: San Andreas is an open-world game that encompasses the fictional areas of Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas, and the areas in between (which have been based on areas in San Francisco, Nevada, and Los Angeles). The game includes remastered graphics with enhanced shadows, a larger draw distance, and a richer color palette, along with enhanced character and car models.

sanandreas.jpg
Like other Rockstar games released for iOS, GTA: San Andreas has been redesigned to incorporate touch controls and it also includes support for iOS 7 game controllers.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas features:
- Remastered, high-resolution graphics built specifically for mobile including lighting enhancements, an enriched color palette and improved character models.

- Enhanced for the iPhone 5 series and iPad 4th Gen and above with dynamic detailed shadows and real-time environmental reflections.

- Physical controller support for all Made-for-iOS controllers.

- Cloud save support for playing across all your iOS devices for Rockstar Social Club Members.

- Dual analog stick controls for full camera and movement control.

- Three different control schemes and customizable controls with contextual options to display buttons only when you need them.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Hits the U.S. App Store

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Never got a chance to finish this on PS2, so can't wait to download it. Hopefully they come out with Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories at some point.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
how did you set that up? I tried a while back but could never get it going.

I paired the PS3 controller with my Mac via Bluetooth (USB cable required initially) and then used ControllerMate (free trial) to map the buttons with keyboard actions. It worked decently. There's bound to be alternatives to ControllerMate; from what I remember, it was difficult to set it up.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
GTA releases on iOS are getting less and less glamorous. GTA III had an announcement, a trailer, some media previews, and then the release all spaced out over a few weeks to build excitement. Vice City had an announcement, a trailer, and then the release. Now San Andreas only gets an announcement and then a release. At this rate, I suppose a remastered LCS/VCS or GTA IV will suddenly pop up in the App Store next year with no warning.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I really hope cheat codes will be available for this iOS version. I don't believe there were any for GTA 3 or Vice City on iOS. Though I could be wrong.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
That won't happen for at least another 5 years. At the absolute minimum. You have no idea how endlessly more complex the RAGE engine is.

I don't think it ever will. Did GTA IV ever come to Mac? I'm not sure.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I don't think it ever will. Did GTA IV ever come to Mac? I'm not sure.

Nope. 5 years was pure optimism by the way. Just played some SA for 20 mins. It look alright but still lags occasionally. So yeah we're probably 10+ years away from a game as complex as GTA IV on a mobile device, frankly.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Nope. 5 years was pure optimism by the way. Just played some SA for 20 mins. It look alright but still lags occasionally. So yeah we're probably 10+ years away from a game as complex as GTA IV on a mobile device, frankly.
10+ years away? You clearly aren't a computer science major... Just use Moore's Law and look at it. We will probably get to GTA 5 graphics in 10 years.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
How fun, and it supports the new MFi controller standard! Now if they'd just release a good controller for the mini I'm there.

What I find quite interesting about this game is that it is a PS2 game and now it's running on a mobile device (wow how technology has changed) and it just makes me wonder how little time will pass before we start to see the next leap in graphics and technology make its way to these mobile devices. I don't think for a moment it's going to take 5 or 10 years, I think we're in for some huge leaps in the next couple of years, and it's all very exciting in that regard, even if there aren't any other major leaps to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.