Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
QuickTime allows me to create screen recordings, and it allows me to create audio recordings: http://imgur.com/1i63HFL.png

However, I don't know how to combine these into a screen recording with audio (so that I can narrate what's going on).

Is this not a feature of QuickTime? Can anybody suggest an alternative method for me to achieve my desired result? Thanks very much in advance!

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Use GarageBand or iMovie for the purpose of combining/refining the recording an adding voice explanations. QuickTime (Player) is rather simple and not meant for more advanced edits.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
It's not cheap, but if you are planning on doing a lot of screencasts I recommend you get a copy of Screenflow. It is a screen capture program and editing solution. There is a trial available for you to try. It's the best screen capture and editing program available for the Mac.

applegirlaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
You CAN record audio.

QuickTime allows me to create screen recordings, and it allows me to create audio recordings: http://imgur.com/1i63HFL.png

However, I don't know how to combine these into a screen recording with audio (so that I can narrate what's going on).

Is this not a feature of QuickTime? Can anybody suggest an alternative method for me to achieve my desired result? Thanks very much in advance!

You absolutely can record audio in a quicktime screen recording without having to pay any money for another application. Sorry I am so late to this, I just registered. :)

When you select screen recording, click the triangle to the right of the box that pops up. It then gives you an option to include sound, and asks which mic you would like to use... the built in mic, or a connected peripheral. Here is the link to the apple support page that explains it all.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4024

Happy Recording!

Reactions: Pow!

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
It's not cheap, but if you are planning on doing a lot of screencasts I recommend you get a copy of Screenflow. It is a screen capture program and editing solution. There is a trial available for you to try. It's the best screen capture and editing program available for the Mac.

Camtasia is great too. I use both and there is also a 30 day trial for Camtasia.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You absolutely can record audio in a quicktime screen recording without having to pay any money for another application. Sorry I am so late to this, I just registered. :)

When you select screen recording, click the triangle to the right of the box that pops up. It then gives you an option to include sound, and asks which mic you would like to use... the built in mic, or a connected peripheral. Here is the link to the apple support page that explains it all.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4024

Happy Recording!

This.

Amazing how yours is the only relevant answer, and the others all involve spending on 3rd party software. :rolleyes:

grpsxbyurslf

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
This.

Amazing how yours is the only relevant answer, and the others all involve spending on 3rd party software. :rolleyes:

Take a head phone jack with two male ends, plug one end into the mic input and the other end in the headphone jack. go to preferences/audio then set output for head phones and set input for line in mic. In quicktime, right beside the record button, click the down arrow and set it for built in input- line in. You won't be able to here anything but it will record and you'll have audio on playback. Done and done. No downloading no messing around.

dwightrick

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
Check Out This Video It shows everything you need to know about recording screen with audio and its very short and easy to understand also with links for downloads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.