Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
To enable me to access my iTunes music etc and my photos on my Apple TV I have turned on Homesharing in my iTunes on my iMac.

Everything works fine but when my computer goes to “sleep” and I try to access Apple TV on my TV set, I can't see my iTunes library on my TV and I get a message as follows:

To access your iTunes library on Apple TV turn on Home Sharing on your computer using “.....my email address”

I then have to go back to iTunes on my computer and even though it says (under Homesharing) :Turn off Homesharing" (which would indicate that Homesharing is on) I have to turn Homesharing off and then on again. I can then see my iTunes on my Apple TV

It seems that my Apple TV can’t wake my iTunes.

The only way I can access Apple TV at any time without going through this whole process is to set my Energy Saver to “never go to sleep” which is probably a bad idea

I have contacted Apple but they don't seem to have a solution.

Any ideas?

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks but I don't know how to do this
Could you please, please walk me through this
I am using Mavericks on my iMac

Thanks in advance

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Unfortunately this didn't work.
I think the problem could be in the Apple TV 3 software which doesn't tell my computer to wake up

What do you think?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Unfortunately this didn't work.
I think the problem could be in the Apple TV 3 software which doesn't tell my computer to wake up
That's strange. It works for me. My aTV 3 is on the latest firmware.
Can you browse your media, while the iTunes computer is asleep?

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Sorry - I don't understand your question.

How can I browse on my computer if it's asleep?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Well, that's the trick played by Bonjour Sleep Proxy.
Even if your computer is asleep, the aTV knows that there is a iTunes Home Sharing server on network (from the proxy that takes service advertisements while server itself sleeps). So it shows under Computers view.
Now if you go in and browse the library, aTV wakes your machine and gets the library content from it.
AppleTV itself and AirPort basestations will act as Bonjour Sleep Proxies in your network.
I haven't tested how would it work without the AirPort Extremes with just an AppleTV as Sleep Proxy.

PS I assume you have turned Home Sharing on so you can browse your library from the aTV?

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
That's strange. It works for me. My aTV 3 is on the latest firmware.
Can you browse your media, while the iTunes computer is asleep?

No - I can't browse my media when my computer is asleep. As I mentioned in my 1st posting , my ATV works fine, but if it has not been accessed for a while and if my computer goes to “sleep” and I then try to access ATV on my TV set, I can't see my iTunes library on my TV at all and I get a message as follows:

To access your iTunes library on Apple TV turn on Home Sharing on your computer using “.....my email address”

Can you think of any other solution?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Can you think of any other solution?
At this stage the only thing I see we've not covered yet is the Wi-Fi router. I have AirPort Extreme. As I said, I can't confirm if this setup would work without AirPort. Theoretically AppleTV must act as a sleep proxy but I have no practical evidence. I could test this though.

One more thing: in Energy Saver preferences have you checked the Wake for Wi-Fi network access checkbox (under Power Adapter tab)?

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
I have Airport Express - what should I do?

Yes I have checked the wake up box

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have Airport Express - what should I do?

Yes I have checked the wake up box
As per this guide, it needs to be the 802.11n version. Also, according to Wikipedia, it has to have firmware version 7.4.1 or later.
Also, I suggest to follow the guide through, esp. note the advice to move your wake-on-demand Wi-Fi network to the top of the list at the end of the guide:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Hi

I guess we have reached the end of the road.
Everything on my computer was set up exactly as described in the article but the problem still persists.
I guess I'll have to live with it or return the Apple TV

Thanks for your help and advice

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Have you set up your AppleTV networking options manually as a fixed IP address, or automatically, taking its IP address from a DHCP Server? I know that my AppleTV had intermittent problems finding my Home computers when it had its own fixed address - these went away when it obtained its IP address automatically from the DHCP server (an AirPort Extreme).

Another workaround, if nothing else works, and if you have an IOS device such as an iPhone or iPad that is connected to your home network, is to get a free Wake on LAN app that you could use to wake your sleeping computer from your couch, rather than having to go to your computer to wake it up.

Canafrica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
I don't know how to set it up manually so I guess it is set up automatically

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.