Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Remember Flashback?
Flashback was a Trojan that was easily avoided by practicing safe computing, namely leaving Java disabled in the browser until needed by a trustworthy site. Flashback affected about 1% of Mac users who didn't practice safe computing.
But if you want something free, try iAntiVirus on the Mac App Store.
iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.
Mac's may not get viruses but they are still vulnerable to Trojans and their nasty variants the rootkit.
All OS X malware in the wild can be successfully avoided by practicing safe computing, without the need for 3rd party antivirus software.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Flashback was a Trojan that was easily avoided by practicing safe computing, namely leaving Java disabled in the browser until needed by a trustworthy site. Flashback affected about 1% of Mac users who didn't practice safe computing.

iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.

All OS X malware in the wild can be successfully avoided by practicing safe computing, without the need for 3rd party antivirus software.

Safe computing - for you and I that's practically a given. However I'm talking about other users - the general gullible public user who clicks on a phishing link or downloads an app thinking it will sort out the computer problems a web ad is saying their computer has! I've found they are in about the same proportion regardless of whether they own a PC or a Mac. Mac users who have been brainwashed into thinking their Mac is invulnerable and can click on anything without consequences have learnt some harsh lessons and had to call me in. I say once I've removed their junk if they want to surf with their brains disconnected they use their non-jailbroken ipad instead :D

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
When the MR Guides are back online, read the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ. Until the MR Guides are available, you can read most of the same info in the Mac Virus/Malware Info post, on which the FAQ is based.

There is no advantage in doing this on OS X.

a AppleCare advisor told me the same thing when I inquired about it. Said however that while it was an issue that their software engineers had look into it and couldn't find any benefit to malware resistance, the advisor wasn't privy as to the reasons behind it. Care to expound upon it if there is more to it that taking it on good faith ? :(

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Hello,

I'm getting my first rMBP in a few days, and I'm curious about your opinions on anti-virus software for Macs?

My Mac will be used primarily for software development, and most of my projects will be stored on the device itself, until I get a remote repository. Also a lot of company specific information will be stored on the device.

I know what to avoid when browsing the internet, and I'm very cautious when downloading stuff.

I read some articles about anti-virus software for Mac, which basically tells me I don't need it. Just wondering if the built-in security of OS X will keep me safe or if I do need to get anti-virus software for my situation.

OS X will not "keep you safe". But, anti-virus add-ons will not, either. Practice safe computing and don't download stuff that you know you shouldn't. Oh, and, do back-ups!

One of the better protections you can take is to make your primary user a non-administrator. Create another admin account to authorize any system changes.

Yes. Always separate administrator account(s) from user accounts. Very easy to do once you are in the habit. And do your backups.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
That provides no additional protection. It's fine to run every day using an admin account, as long as you practice safe computing.

It serves as a constant reminder while you are on the admin account that you are not there to surf the web.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It serves as a constant reminder while you are on the admin account that you are not there to surf the web.
That's not true. Like a great number of Mac users, I've been running nothing but an admin account for over 5 years, surfing the web, downloading files, emailing, etc. Not once have I encountered any malware, because I practice safe computing. Whether you run an admin or standard account is completely irrelevant. Practicing safe computing is important, no matter what type of account you're logged into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.