Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

theroomtwologo2.png
Developer Fireproof Games has released The Room Two for iOS devices, which acts as a follow up title to Apple's 2012 selection for iPad Game of the Year, The Room. Much like its predecessor, The Room Two centers around puzzle-based gameplay as the player attempts to solved a general mystery left behind by a scientist, traveling through various locations in search of various clues. The game also includes iCloud syncing and Game Center Support for saves and leaderboards respectively, as well as dynamic sound effects that adapt to the game environment.
Welcome to The Room Two, a physical puzzler, wrapped in a mystery game, inside a beautifully tactile 3D world.
The much anticipated sequel to 'The Room', Apple's Game of the Year 2012 and recipient of a BAFTA award, is here at last.
Follow a trail of cryptic letters from an enigmatic scientist known only as "AS" into a compelling world of mystery and exploration.

The Room Two is a $4.99 download for the iPad and is available now. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Room Two' Now Available for iPad

Last edited:

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Is the story a direct continuation of where the original left off? I'd get it for that if so :)

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
considering how little replay value it has after you beat the game, it sure would have been nice for this to be a free update to those of us who've already paid the $5 for the first game. $5 might not be much, and I know continued income is what keeps the developer going, but when you consider angry birds costs like $2 and they give you bundles of new levels for free on a fairly consistent basis, it makes it annoying when a game that costs more than twice that gives you roughly 4 hours of total gameplay. not that i won't still pay the $5 for the new one because it's the best game I've ever played on the iPad...

jjq224

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
No love for the iPhone

I think it sucks that more and more developers are only making apps for the iPad. Where is the love for us iPhone users?

I thought the first The Room was awesome. Saw the headline and without reading the article went right to the app store - only to find out after reading that it isn't available for the iPhone. :mad:

Come on developers - try to remember us lowly non-iPad owners.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This is brilliant news, the first one was absolutely one of my favourite games last year, I've been waiting for an update with much anticipation. Just hope there are more chapters than last year's so it lasts longer - so sad when you finish the game.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I enjoyed the first one. It was rather short, but the puzzles are so intricate that I can see how designing something like that might be time consuming.

My only question is why they didn't release this as an update to the original, episode two if you will. The story was not concluded at all from what I remember.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I loved the last one but finished in a couple of hours. I have high hopes for this one - just hope it runs a little longer!

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I must say the trailer is amazing! Something you would expect for a cinema movie or high end console game. Look forward to playing this.

mainer4101

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
I actually found the first one to have a lot of replayability (?) and I am sure this one will too.

I don't mind paying for it, and completely understand why it's not a free update. The first was what, $2. Hugely popular and quite technical. They did good work, certainly worthy of making some money from it.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
considering how little replay value it has after you beat the game, it sure would have been nice for this to be a free update to those of us who've already paid the $5 for the first game. $5 might not be much, and I know continued income is what keeps the developer going, but when you consider angry birds costs like $2 and they give you bundles of new levels for free on a fairly consistent basis, it makes it annoying when a game that costs more than twice that gives you roughly 4 hours of total gameplay. not that i won't still pay the $5 for the new one because it's the best game I've ever played on the iPad...

C'mon, throw the developers another $5. The first game was fantastic, and this one is hopefully just as good (and maybe even better).

Think of it as another cup of coffee from Starbucks. You wouldn't return each morning with your empty cup from the day before, expecting a free refill, right?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We had a great time with the first one. We put it up on the TV with AirPlay/Share, and the wife and I kicked back and relaxed in the evening and played together.

Neat design, interesting puzzles, even though it was short I thought it was _well_ worth the $5 (though I think I scored it for $2.99[?]).

Will definitely pick this one up! :cool:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
C'mon, throw the developers another $5. The first game was fantastic, and this one is hopefully just as good (and maybe even better).

Think of it as another cup of coffee from Starbucks. You wouldn't return each morning with your empty cup from the day before, expecting a free refill, right?

It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't. $5 for a good video game that lasts a few hours of enjoyment is too much but $5 for a cup of milk and dirty water (I drink coffee... it's water run through burnt beans = dirty water, deal with it) that we finish in about 20 minutes is reasonable enough to go back daily for.

I'm not judging, I do the same thing all the time in various situations. I'll return a $30 video game to Best Buy if I can get it $1 cheaper at Amazon... But then I'll go spend $109 on my 15th pair of headphones without a 2nd thought. It's just funny.

First one is FREE right now BTW. Just got it. I actually never heard of it until today. Hope I enjoy it!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
No iPhone version makes me sad :(

The graphics and gameplay just don't lend themselves well to the small screen of an iPhone.

----------

It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't. $5 for a good video game that lasts a few hours of enjoyment is too much but $5 for a cup of milk and dirty water (I drink coffee... it's water run through burnt beans = dirty water, deal with it) that we finish in about 20 minutes is reasonable enough to go back daily for.

I'm not judging, I do the same thing all the time in various situations. I'll return a $30 video game to Best Buy if I can get it $1 cheaper at Amazon... But then I'll go spend $109 on my 15th pair of headphones without a 2nd thought. It's just funny.

First one is FREE right now BTW. Just got it. I actually never heard of it until today. Hope I enjoy it!

I've always been amazed by this. We see it even more so with Android. They'll go with a **** app that does 1 thing OK vs paying $1 for a killer app that does that thing awesome along with a bunch of other stuff. It's one of the reasons developers go with iOS.

Just as you said, people aren't willing to spend a dollar on an app they use all the time and love but they will drop $5 every day on a cup of coffee they don't really like that much.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't.

I've always been amazed by this.

It’s funny how the mobile app market has kind of reset our thinking of pricing for software. Our little on wanted another Toca Boca app (they’re all pretty darn cute), and I was thinking, “geez, they’re $2.99 each...” before I caught myself and realized she probably got 50+ hours out of the last one (and will probably come back to it on occasion) - that’s pretty cheap entertainment. :)

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013

It's probably because it takes more effort to make the room 2; I could be wrong though. Angry bird games are all basically the same.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

absurd. sequels are not free.

the game took me longer than 4 hours. certainly worth the price of a beer or a fancy coffee.

Angry Birds does such an insane amount of volume they can lower their margins. their merch licensing alone probably brings in more than this studio's entire bottom line.

----------

I enjoyed the first one. It was rather short, but the puzzles are so intricate that I can see how designing something like that might be time consuming.

My only question is why they didn't release this as an update to the original, episode two if you will. The story was not concluded at all from what I remember.

why wasnt Star Wars released in one go? same story.

sequel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.