'Instapaper' Named App of the Week, Available for Free - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Instapaper' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

Popular read-it-later app Instapaper has been named Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, it is available for free for the first time since its initial 2010 release.

The app is designed to allow users to save and store articles for reading at a later time, stripping away unnecessary page clutter for an unhindered reading experience. Instapaper supports up to 500 articles on the iPad and the iPhone, and it includes an offline mode for reading in areas without cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity.
Quote:
Instapaper is the simplest way to save and store articles for reading: offline, on-the-go, anytime, anywhere, perfectly formatted.

Instapaper for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch provides a mobile-optimized Text view that makes reading Internet content a clean and uncluttered experience.
Instapaper also integrates with more than 150 other apps, which support saving content within the Instapaper app, and it includes features like adjustable fonts and text sizes, dark modes, brightness control, filters, and dictionary and Wikipedia integration.

Earlier this year, Instapaper developer Marco Arment sold a majority stake of the app to Betaworks, the company that owns Bitly, Digg, and Socialflow.

Instapaper will be free for one week and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Instapaper' Named App of the Week, Available for Free
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

This has been one of my favorite iPad apps for a long time. Nice to see it free for a while.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Am I the only one who doesn't "get" Instapaper? Between Flipboard and Safari's built-in reading list, what more does Instapaper get me?

Nice that it's free, though!
Reason077 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't "get" Instapaper? Between Flipboard and Safari's built-in reading list, what more does Instapaper get me?

Offline reading is the main selling point, I'd say. I don't think either Flipboard or Safari allow that.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
zak89
macrumors newbie

Instapaper 5 also added a few cool features (sort articles by length, filter by reading time, etc). It's moved a few notches ahead of Safari RL and other competitors (in my opinion) - for a while (before the Betaworks acquisition) it was getting to be pretty stale. I'd buy it again.
zak89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Basically offline reading. Think of it like bookmarking an article, but instead of just bookmarking it, you're saving it on your iPhone, with the ability to organize it into a folder and other perks.

I don't really see the point of Safari's Reading List if it doesn't save it for offline reading. Or does it? Otherwise the Reading List is hardly any better than just creating a bookmarks folder called "Reading List".
158274 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158274 View Post
I don't really see the point of Safari's Reading List if it doesn't save it for offline reading. Or does it? Otherwise the Reading List is hardly any better than just creating a bookmarks folder called "Reading List".
That's exactly what it is. A temporary quick-fire bookmarks list.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:37 PM   #8
GiantSteve
macrumors member

The best feature of Instapaper is being able to send a digest of clipped articles to a Kindle. For largely text based articles the Kindle Paperwhite is a great platform with amazing battery life
GiantSteve is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9
mengel
macrumors newbie

Reading list

I'm excited to try out Instapaper, but reading list DOES save webpages for offline viewing and syncs between iOS devices.

I'm curious to see what Instapaper can add to that.
mengel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:40 PM   #10
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:

1. Offline reading as many have stated.
2. Mobilized view that strips off much of the irrelevant formatting.
3. iOS 7 background download that fetches contents for you.
4. Typography for applying your preferred font on mobilized view.
5. Favorite for sharing contents automatically with other Instapaper users.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:53 PM   #11
John Bokma
macrumors newbie

How does it compare to Pocket?
John Bokma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Might switch to this from pocket because they kinda started to add junk features to their app.
Bathplug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:38 PM   #13
pittpanthersfan
macrumors 6502

Safari's Reading List feature does offer offline viewing...
Attached Images

pittpanthersfan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:00 PM   #14
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bokma View Post
How does it compare to Pocket?
I think it's very very similar to Pocket.

I use one particular service that integrates Instapaper, so I've wanted it for ages, I've had it in my AppShopper wish list for ages and they e-mailed me this morning to tell me it was free. I love AppShopper.com!!!

But I've got ways to get Instapaper articles to be sent to my Kindle eReader so I tend to use it more. In the summer I do all my tech reading outside on my eInk Kindle...

Gary
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:54 PM   #15
sharbeen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Offline reading is the main selling point, I'd say. I don't think either Flipboard or Safari allow that.
Safari reading list has offline mode.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Well, I've wanted to try this for a long time and just never did. Now is a good time.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbeen View Post
Safari reading list has offline mode.
I see that. Consider me corrected.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Icaras
macrumors 601

I downloaded this just because it was free, but I too was confused as to why I would need this since as others have already mentioned, Safari reading lists do offline viewing as well.

Since you also need an account to use this app and service, I think I may just pass on this.
Icaras is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:51 PM   #19
greenteq
macrumors newbie

Reimbursement for developer?

Just curious, when a paid app gets featured for free, does Apple reimburse the developer for each free download? How does the reimbursement compare to a regular paid download?
greenteq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:52 PM   #20
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502

It's far more robust than reading lists. It integrates with zillions of apps. I think it's a brilliant app. But no app is for everyone. But first try to understand what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I downloaded this just because it was free, but I too was confused as to why I would need this since as others have already mentioned, Safari reading lists do offline viewing as well.

Since you also need an account to use this app and service, I think I may just pass on this.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:34 AM   #21
unagimiyagi
macrumors 6502

IMHO, Pocket is clearly head and shoulders above all of the other reading apps and it's free 365 days a year.

It's got an attractive design. This does count. Their web site and their native app is coherent, modern, and slick with nice features and animations. You may say oh whatever, this stuff doesn't matter, but Pocket is a very solid piece of software engineering under the hood.

Readability has all kinds of sync issues. And is generally a very poorly written ios app. It looks shiny like Pocket, but the engineering under the hood is not nearly of the same quality as Pocket.

Instapaper is just old. Old school, the first of its kind, but has now been surpassed. It's recently been updated, but it feels like the app is a side project and not actively trying to improve. I would not pay for it because of better alternatives which are also free.

Pocket is a full-time gig for the team behind it, and/or they've just got a superior stable of talent.
unagimiyagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:50 AM   #22
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Used to use Instapaper a lot until they started requiring a subscription to use the plugin service, so switched to Readability (which is integrated really well into apps like ReadKit and Reeder) and Pocket, so I pretty much use that exclusively now. Still have lots of bookmarks in Instapaper, just got really turned off that you were forced to subscribe, especially when I'd already paid for the app.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 08:22 AM   #23
RabbitLuvr
macrumors member

I got this free when it was a Starbucks pick of the week. I tried it out, but I prefer Pocket. I just prefer the slick look of Pocket.
RabbitLuvr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Just downloaded it, trying it now. Seems way overpriced for what I am getting. Currently, it's key selling point seems to be integration with other reading apps. So if I see an article I like in Zite, I can save it directly in Instapaper. Previously, I would need to first open it in safari, then either bookmark it or save it to reading list.

That said, I have never gotten reading list to work right for me. I save it, I still need to load it, and after it brings me to the article, the original link disappears???
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:03 AM   #25
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

I really like the App.
Got it free from Starbucks

I use it to quickly go through my twitter feed...saving links to read later.

Then once i remember about those links, i can read them on the desktop or phone.

it is a convenience thing for me. maybe other things can do similar though.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion