Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

remoteapp.png
Apple has updated its Remote iOS app to add control of iTunes Radio on iTunes on the Mac or PC. Previously, Remote could not control iTunes Radio on computers.

The app was previously updated in early November with an iOS 7-inspired redesign.
Remote is designed to be in perfect sync with iTunes. With just a few taps on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, you can play iTunes Radio from anywhere in your home. Choose playlists, songs, and albums as if you were in front of your computer or Apple TV. Or play them from iCloud with iTunes Match on Apple TV. Control your Apple TV with the flick of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly tap out a title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen.
Remote is a free download for the iPad and iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Remote iOS App Updated to Add iTunes Radio Control on Mac or PC

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I use Remote on my AppleTV when...

1. I don't feel like using the arrow buttons on the remote to type something
  2. I lose the remote or run out of battery
  3. I want to annoy my roommate

Anything else and it's just too awkward to navigate with.

Last edited:

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
I love the overall design of this app, particularly the player page. I hope the Music app follows suite.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Please update iTunes where it does not repeat the same songs and does not play crappy Pop music or just make it like Spotify.

Evostar*

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Does this app support "up next" features? Couldn't seem to find this option last time I used it. Also I always had to play tv/movies twice to get them to play. As on the first attempt it would make the screen go black then exit back to the selection page. But a second time and it works as it supposed to.

Really wanted the ir remote. But have the 2010 no ir port macbook : (

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Does this app support "up next" features? Couldn't seem to find this option last time I used it. Also I always had to play tv/movies twice to get them to play. As on the first attempt it would make the screen go black then exit back to the selection page. But a second time and it works as it supposed to.

Really wanted the ir remote. But have the 2010 no ir port macbook : (

Yep. It's at the bottom middle when a song is being played.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Please update iTunes Radio to support the rest of the world?

I am sure it will be released to other countries eventually. They have to do licensing deals with many major music labels and I would imagine it is on a country by country basis. Spotify took years of negotiations with music labels before it was available in the US.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
So are they going to neglect the Keynote Remote? I mean that app hasn't been updated in 2 years. Let alone has retina display compatibility or iPhone 5 screen compatibility!

Come on, :apple:

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
that would be nice if we actually had itunes radio to begin with.

You can use iTunes Radio anywhere using a US iTunes account. I do that here in Germany.

Regarding the app: am I too stupid or is there still no way to edit or delete a station from the remote app? Can't even use the star button as it's greyed out for me. Basically all this update allows me to do is choosing another station or make a new one from a current song.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
Please help

In the description of the update it says u can control the features and my own created radio stations. Is somebody seeing that? I can only skip and star the current song... Can't play from my stations, or even see them in my remote... Please can somebody tell me if I am missing something? Thanks.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
You can use iTunes Radio anywhere using a US iTunes account. I do that here in Germany.

Regarding the app: am I too stupid or is there still no way to edit or delete a station from the remote app? Can't even use the star button as it's greyed out for me. Basically all this update allows me to do is choosing another station or make a new one from a current song.

Yea, it looks like you cannot delete a station from within the Remote App, you'd have to go into the Music App for that. Weird.

As for "starring" it depends on the station. Certain curated stations do not allow starring (i.e. "Top 100" stations). Otherwise the starring works for me from Remote App.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Big missing feature is ability to control apple tv volume with the remote app.

I'll need to check this when I get home, but I think it's there, it's just really well hidden.

This is off my memory

1. Choose the Apple TV you want to control with the remote app.

2. When using this screen (see "menu-menu" attachment) tap menu.

3. Navigate to the available devices. (see "appletv" attachment)

4. See that blue bar just to the left of the checked device name? Tapping left or right when it's selected should change the volume.

Someone check and see if I'm crazy. ^_^

Attachments

• menu-menu.jpg
    menu-menu.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 145
  • appletv.jpg
    appletv.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Now if only you could choose multiple speakers. I have several Airport Expresses and would like to be able to choose iTunes radio to stream on more than just one set.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
OK I was slightly off. Do the following:

1. Choose the ATV you want to use if you have more than one.

2. Start playing the movie/song of your choice

3. Hit the bottom left icon to the left of the menu button (as shown in the attachment)

4. Navigate from subtitles to speakers and choose the device you want to hear audio out of.

5. Tap left and right to raise or lower the volume bar to the right of the device name as shown in the attachment.

The limitation of this is this only works if you want to change the volume of an alternate device you want to send the audio to. So it's not as useful as some overall audio control for that actual device in front of you and you can't select multiple sources like you can from desktop iTunes.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    68.3 KB · Views: 148
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 144

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Now if only you could choose multiple speakers. I have several Airport Expresses and would like to be able to choose iTunes radio to stream on more than just one set.

it doesnt work when you hit the airplay icon and select your devices? (make sure it says single)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
OK I was slightly off. Do the following:

1. Choose the ATV you want to use if you have more than one.

2. Start playing the movie/song of your choice

3. Hit the bottom left icon to the left of the menu button (as shown in the attachment)

4. Navigate from subtitles to speakers and choose the device you want to hear audio out of.

5. Tap left and right to raise or lower the volume bar to the right of the device name as shown in the attachment.

The limitation of this is this only works if you want to change the volume of an alternate device you want to send the audio to. So it's not as useful as some overall audio control for that actual device in front of you and you can't select multiple sources like you can from desktop iTunes.

Thanks for your efforts to look into/explain.

Even with such functionality, it seems complicated and limited, esp compared to a traditional TV remote. Why the heck can't Apple just put a vertical virtual slider up/down the whole side? (Sometimes it is necessary to quickly adjust volume on the fly, as well as hit a mute button; not having this done easy is very incomplete.)

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
It lets me select from my different speakers but died not let me select more than one at a time.

make sure it says single (click on multiple) in the airplay icon.

----------

Thanks for your efforts to look into/explain.

Even with such functionality, it seems complicated and limited, esp compared to a traditional TV remote. Why the heck can't Apple just put a vertical virtual slider up/down the whole side? (Sometimes it is necessary to quickly adjust volume on the fly, as well as hit a mute button; not having this done easy is very incomplete.)

click on the airplay icon and make sure it says single(not multiple). There should be a slider under each device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.