Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Curious how others have handled this since the new Home Video Media Kind was added.

If I set the Media kind to Home Video it works, however the movies still show up in my Movies section? Do I need to delete the Genre, so they don't show?

Has anyone figured out how to create folders or categories in Home Videos such as "Family Trip 2013" or "Disney Vacation 2012" etc. I hate to think we just dump these videos all in one place.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Curious how others have handled this since the new Home Video Media Kind was added.

If I set the Media kind to Home Video it works, however the movies still show up in my Movies section? Do I need to delete the Genre, so they don't show?

Has anyone figured out how to create folders or categories in Home Videos such as "Family Trip 2013" or "Disney Vacation 2012" etc. I hate to think we just dump these videos all in one place.

I was using 'Home Video' as both the media kind and the Genre for a while. However, we've got so many home videos that only having one genre wasn't working well. I've since gone to setting up genre's for the home videos too. i.e. 'Birthdays', 'Vacations', etc.

I don't have the problem of the home videos showing in the Movies section of my Apple TV. If I go into 'Movies' on Home sharing, I see only movies and their related Genres. If I go into 'Home Videos', then I see only the Home videos and their Genres.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I haven't used the "Home Video" selection. When I first looked at it it seemed way too simplistic.

What I have been using is just setting up different movie Genres for my home video by year:

2013 Home Movies
2012 Home Movies
2011 Home Movies

(etc.)

Then I title each movie with the date followed by a brief description. This way they align themselves in chronological order within each year/genre.

ex:
2013_01_29_BirthdayParty
2013_04_22_KidsPlayWithDog
(etc.)

However, now that I've seen Jeff's comment, I realize I can use Home Videos as a media kind, and perhaps that will make the home video genres appear in a category separate from "Movies" on my Apple TV. That would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.