Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was your first Apple iDevice?

• Total voters

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
It all started with a 5gb iPod 1st generation I got from my parents for christmas years ago then came the 4th generation, 1st generation iPod touch, 1st generation iPhone then a 1st generation iPad, 3rd generation iPod nano, 4th generation iPod touch then a iPhone 4 then iPad 3 then iPhone 5c and iPad Air. All still function minus the 4th generation iPod classic, HDD died.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
It was a 3rd gen generation iPod touch when I was a sophomore.

Never looked back. Before that I was using my broken PSP as my music player. I couldn't even see the screen because the LCD was cracked.

Then junior year I got my iPhone 3GS and was also my first phone too.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Pretty sure it was a 2nd Gen iPod that i got in 2005,cant remember now what size in memory it was. Still have it but it doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the reply. It is too bad your old iPod 2g doesn't work, I'm sure it was pretty cool back then...too bad they've "discontinued" the classics. I would have liked to see them add flash storage and have Bluetooth capabilities. Plus it would be nice to have the lightning connector but I guess its days are outnumbered now )-;

----------

Your first iDevice is always special - and this beauty started my 2nd love affair with Apple.

I first caught sight of her in a far-away Apple store. Our eyes met (my eye, her "i") and I knew she was the one. You see, I'd flirted with other mp3 players (even two-timed some of them, rascal that I was back then) but this lady had class. None of the others had responded to my touch the way she did. Their faces never lit up the way her's did. It took my breath away. I had to have her.

Years rolled by and we have a whole family now: Classics, touches, nanos, shuffles (identical twins). A whole truckload! So many, in fact, I had to give some of the little-uns away. No matter - they went to good homes.

And as for the old gal, yeah, she's still around. Okay, so she's had a face job to ease the cruel marks that time leaves on a beautiful face. A battery transplant too - but she's still humming along nicely. :)

I love your post. THX
Not entirely familiar with the original iPods but pretty sure that's the 1st gen right? Your story was amazing and I agree every first iDevice has a special place in your heart. Seems your "family" of iPods has really grown.

Have fun...

----------

Too old to be on your list.

If your speaking of an iMac that doesn't count cause I mean portable apple devices...
Have a good day!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
iPod video>iPhone 1>iPhone 3G>iPhone 3GS>iPad 1>iPhone 4>iPad 2>iPhone 4S>iPad 3>iPhone 5>Ipad mini>iPhone 5S>iPad Air +iPod touches + Apple TVs

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
iPod video>iPhone 1>iPhone 3G>iPhone 3GS>iPad 1>iPhone 4>iPad 2>iPhone 4S>iPad 3>iPhone 5>Ipad mini>iPhone 5S>iPad Air +iPod touches + Apple TVs

Wow. You must be a huge apple fan. Maybe someday I'll have as many as you. Seems like you update every year!!!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wow. You must be a huge apple fan. Maybe someday I'll have as many as you. Seems like you update every year!!!

I have a friend who has waited in line on day one of every iPhone and iPad release. Including BOTH the original WiFi-only iPad and the 3G-enabled one a month later. (He gave the WiFi-only to his mom after he got the 3G.)

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I have a friend who has waited in line on day one of every iPhone and iPad release. Including BOTH the original WiFi-only iPad and the 3G-enabled one a month later. (He gave the WiFi-only to his mom after he got the 3G.)

Wow, he is a pretty devoted Apple customer. If I had the time (and money) I would do that, I bet it is fun. You should try going with him for the iPhone 6 launch.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
1st gen iPod nano. still miss it and the click wheel. here's mine. I sent it in on the recall and got the touch screen nano.....do not like it!!

That sucks. You should have kept it the 6th gen nano wasnt that great. I do like the newest 7th gen nano though because it is like a mini ipod touch.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
First cell phone was one of the original Motorola bricks.. 20 mins of talk time @ $3/min on top of the $199/month service bundled with my two beepers. :)

First iDevice was Newton. If that can be classified as an "iDevice". If not, then I didn't give up on Blackberry until the iPhone 4.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
That sucks. You should have kept it the 6th gen nano wasnt that great. I do like the newest 7th gen nano though because it is like a mini ipod touch.
I wanted to, trust me. it was really ironic at the time of the recall notice. about a few weeks earlier it stopped showing up on my Mac or work PC. I tried everything to revive it and nothing. :(

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wow, he is a pretty devoted Apple customer. If I had the time (and money) I would do that, I bet it is fun. You should try going with him for the iPhone 6 launch.

Ironically, I only got the first iPhone because I went to visit him when he was waiting in line (about an hour before the doors opened - he had been waiting for 9 hours,) and when they announced they were letting everyone buy up to 2 iPhones, he said "you want one? I'm sure the people behind won't mind you using 'my second' since I'm only getting one."

So I went ahead and got in line officially with half an hour to go and got one on launch day - having had no plans to do so even one hour earlier. I've 'visited' him when he has been in line for others, too. (Bring him a coffee, for example.)

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I see the term "iDevice" as being more apt for the iOS series of devices, but ok.

My first iPod was the second generation white model with the light up "touch" buttons. My first iOS device was the first generation iPod touch. My first iPhone was the iPhone 3G.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
And I suppose I should include that I had the Motorola SLVR L7 for a while before getting the original iPhone - it was one of the Motorola phones that could sync with iTunes, kind of like an iPod shuffle. It was my wife's phone, I used a Symbian smartphone before switching to iPhone. Not *REALLY* an "iDevice", but it has the distinction of being a non-Apple, Apple-compatible iDevice-ish.

Edit: Here we go, a "family portrait" of my various iDevices, right after I got the SLVR, and apparently after I had upgraded my first-gen iPod shuffle for a second-gen.

Attachments

• iDevices.jpg
    iDevices.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

I do! Btw that's just my idevices not counting computing and I forgot the retina mini. I don't waste money on getting AppleCare when you can get a new device for so cheap. For example:

Bought iphone 5 for $200, used for a year, sold for $480. Used funds to buy the 5S. Repeat with the other products! What you get is continuous warranty and the most up to date hardware for less than most people think.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
iPod nano 2gb
3 iPod touchs 1 8gb 1 16 gb 1 32 gb
iPhone 5 last year
Newest addition to the family. iPad mini 2 64 gb verizon.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Original iPhone 8G, bought the first day it came out for something like $800US. Still have it, the original packaging AND the receipt, plus the bluetooth ear piece that I never actually wore.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
ipod 2nd gen

I loved it, and I think I still have it somewhere around the house. Back in the day the box was huge and they gave you all of the accessories!!

ipod-second-generation.jpg

Al'sDad

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
iPhone 3G.

I've owned every generation of iPhone since then (except 5C), and every generation of iPad (except 4th gen).

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
iPod "Dock Connector"

It made it through the washer AND dryer and still worked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 10.05.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 10.05.48 AM.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 86

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Large white iPod - still have it in a drawer. Had the Griffin transmitter which allowed it to play music via car radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.