Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Beyonce Releases Exclusive iTunes Album, Dominating Store Carousel

American singer Beyoncè released her self-titled fifth studio album today, which is*exclusively available on iTunes and is notably dominating the digital music store's rotating carousel.

The album, dubbed a "visual album" because each song comes with an accompanying music video, has seen an unprecedented marketing push from Apple within the iTunes Store, receiving all the attention of the promotion carousel at the top of the store and even spawning a "Beyoncè albums" section where users can see her four other albums and anthology album.

Apple has previously offered exclusive streaming for certain albums, like David Bowie's The Next Day, leveraging iTunes dominant position in the digital music landscape.

Beyoncè is available now for $15.99, with individual song and video sales starting on December 20.

Article Link: Beyonce Releases Exclusive iTunes Album, Dominating Store Carousel
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

Bow Down.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

Kinda interesting how she dropped this album at midnight, worldwide, with no promotion or pre-announcement.

I wonder what the sales will be like, considering by doing this, there were no leaks.

Also makes you marvel at the power of iTunes. In mere minutes, thousands of copies were legitimately purchased across the planet.
MonstaMash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
nfl46
macrumors 68040

Impressive. However, what do you expect, its King Bey.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

It's B-Nation!
Caliber26 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
thacube
macrumors member

#newrules
thacube is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Tony78228
macrumors member

Zzzzzz
Tony78228 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:19 AM   #8
v0lume4
macrumors regular

I hate to see the big record companies make sure they push absolutely everything else from the spotlight for a few days, like they're doing here.

Then again, of course the "popular" music is always what's on the front page. The real gems are the music that are not.. that.

Last edited by v0lume4; Dec 13, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
v0lume4 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Dropping your entire album + music videos in one go is not very smart. Especially at the end of December when most radio stations are going all Christmas mode. It's going to be the thing everyone talks about this weekend, and then fly right off the charts by January 1st.

4 was such a lacking album though, so I guess this is her safety net. If it does good, great, if it doesn't, well, no one will remember because it was the usual Christmas break that the charts suffer from every end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lume4 View Post
I hate to see the big record companies make sure they push absolutely push everything else from the spotlight for a few days, like they're doing here.

Then again, of course the "popular" music is always what's on the front page. The real gems are the music that is not.. that.
Me too, this is too much like payola on Apple's part.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:24 AM   #10
v0lume4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yep.
v0lume4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

wtf? how many slides do they need for a cover of Beyonce on iTunes??
JayCee842 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:16 AM   #12
Nozuka
macrumors regular

exclusive album... now you can see the prices we would have, if there was no competition. $15.99

but then again, it comes with alot of videos i dont care about.
Nozuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:34 AM   #13
Eorlas
macrumors member

I'm going to get flak for this (probably mainly because it's Beyoncé and it's hard to find anyone that hates her) but I'm on the side of "this is stupid."

I have nothing against her, or her music, but dominating the big advertising spots is stupid. There are other albums coming out that could really benefit from those spots (such as Childish Gambino's new album that released a few days ago) whereas Beyoncé is so well established to the point that all you need to say is "Beyoncé has a new album available now" and the rest will take care of itself.

It would make sense to have her take up one of those spots as with all major releases, but to steal away ALL of the largest advertising spaces is nothing but bad business for the rest of everyone.
Eorlas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:18 AM   #14
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

Of course she's going to take all of the advertising spaces. She's B.E.Y.O.N.CE. All you haters need to sit down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorlas View Post
I'm going to get flak for this (probably mainly because it's Beyoncé and it's hard to find anyone that hates her) but I'm on the side of "this is stupid."

I have nothing against her, or her music, but dominating the big advertising spots is stupid. There are other albums coming out that could really benefit from those spots (such as Childish Gambino's new album that released a few days ago) whereas Beyoncé is so well established to the point that all you need to say is "Beyoncé has a new album available now" and the rest will take care of itself.

It would make sense to have her take up one of those spots as with all major releases, but to steal away ALL of the largest advertising spaces is nothing but bad business for the rest of everyone.
Brandon263 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
Of course she's going to take all of the advertising spaces. She's B.E.Y.O.N.CE. All you haters need to sit down.
We aren't haters. Beyonce should be better than that.
Klae17 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 04:08 AM   #16
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

This is the kind of thing I'd expect Prince to do.
ohbrilliance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:27 AM   #17
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Too many African-Americans on iTunes featured page. It's like Apple has some hidden agenda trying to push rap and R&B music to American youth.

They need to feature an occasional Amish rap star, or some Filipino karaoke celebrity, or maybe a Korean Elvis impersonator crooner-type. iTunes Store needs more variety.
Solomani is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:36 AM   #18
macigo
Banned

iTunes Store?!! It's the BEYONCÉ store.

Flawless.
macigo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:45 AM   #19
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Dropping your entire album + music videos in one go is not very smart. Especially at the end of December when most radio stations are going all Christmas mode. It's going to be the thing everyone talks about this weekend, and then fly right off the charts by January 1st.

4 was such a lacking album though, so I guess this is her safety net. If it does good, great, if it doesn't, well, no one will remember because it was the usual Christmas break that the charts suffer from every end of the year.

I think I was the only person who liked "4" ... I love me some "Love On Top" and "Best Thing I Never Had".

Kinda disappointed she didn't put "Grown Woman" as a track.
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:23 AM   #20
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrilliance View Post
This is the kind of thing I'd expect Prince to do.
I wish he did, instead of Beyoncé…
RoelJuun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:47 AM   #21
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Jay-Z must have negotiated this deal.
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:56 AM   #22
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
We aren't haters. Beyonce should be better than that.
the big deal is that she released a new album no one even knew about nor that she was even working on one which is pretty damn impressive with twitter and the digital age these days. this must be a first. the last time i remember someone announcing a single and album after almost 6 years no one knew about was Justin Timberlake in like january and it helped his sales A LOT
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:03 AM   #23
parish
macrumors 65816

ITYM Beyoncé
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:16 AM   #24
alexgowers
macrumors 6502

Just shows her team are scared her album will bomb, it gets more and more likely as she is gets older. For anyone under 25 she's just not cool and mumsy.

Sorry beyonce fans this doesn't say premium but smacks of desperation.

and visual album... sorry isn't that a music video? Kinda like saying you realeased a visual book.
alexgowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:45 AM   #25
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
I think I was the only person who liked "4" ... I love me some "Love On Top" and "Best Thing I Never Had".

Kinda disappointed she didn't put "Grown Woman" as a track.

I think (wish, hope) that they might put Grown Woman on the deluxe edition of the album. It definitely would have been the radio single. Regardless, the album will definitely be successful regardless. (4 went at least triple platinum, by the way. Check Wikipedia.)
Brandon263 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion