Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
Right, so when I plug in my MagSafe, it's green like it should be. But after an undetermined amount of time the light will get so incredibly DIM that I have to put my eye up to the light to see it. The computer still charges and powers on just fine, I assume it's just the OCD in me with the cosmetic part of it. Is there anything I should look out for... Is this a sign that I might have a logicboard, dc board or charger failure soon? Thanks and sorry for being paranoid!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Right, so when I plug in my MagSafe, it's green like it should be. But after an undetermined amount of time the light will get so incredibly DIM that I have to put my eye up to the light to see it. The computer still charges and powers on just fine, I assume it's just the OCD in me with the cosmetic part of it. Is there anything I should look out for... Is this a sign that I might have a logicboard, dc board or charger failure soon? Thanks and sorry for being paranoid!
It's not likely that the dim light is a sign of charger failure, and it's definitely not a sign of logic board failure. As long as it's charging properly, I wouldn't worry about it. If the charger fails, buy a new one. Until then, enjoy your Mac and try not to worry.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.

I actually have this same issue with a new thunderbolt display...

When i plug it in initially the LED is barely lit, then in a few minutes it brightens.

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
Hmm, i'm not sure. I did just find this out though. When I first connect the charger, it's bright green like it should be. If I even BARELY touch the charger plug, it dims to almost nothing, although no matter how much I wiggle or nudge the plug, it never stops showing that it's plugged in, so I assume thats good. Kinda weird however.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Mine does that from time to time, its the L shaped one that replaced my failed T style one on my '08 (60W). It's always worked though, so I just don't worry about it. Sometimes it does it when it's plugged in facing the other way, other times it's bright as usual. :rolleyes:

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
Ah, right then. Must be me just being overly cautious. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt my MacBook to use it like it is. It's the T-style plug but still charges and powers it just fine. It may be a mid-2007 MacBook but after putting 4GB ram and 320GB hdd into it, i'm absolutely in love with it and want to keep it around for as long as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.