Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What was your first Apple iDevice?

• Total voters

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
My first idevice was an ipod video 30gb in white. It had my name engraved on the back and everything. I tried so hard NOT to play with it until I got a case becuase I just knew the back would scratch like crazy. Even after 2 days using it without a case (still used the inckuded ipod sleeve) it was scratched. I remeber being so mad. Then about 4 years ago it got stolen out of my llocker. I guess people cant help themselves with these apple devices haha

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I bought my first iPod on eBay while in college. It was a 3rd Gen with touch wheel and touch buttons. My first iPhone was a 3G I bought in 2009. Thus (re)started my adventure with AT&T when I left my mother's family plan with Alltel and ditched the KRZR K1m that I was rockin at the time. And I never looked back since.

(ok, I sort of looked back. It was an expensive plan at the time, and little did I know I would be paying a car payment a few months later....while in college....working almost full time....and then repaying college loans a few months after that.... but, yeah, it all worked out).

Rob H.

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Graphite iMac DVSE (it does so count, dangit!:p) but for portable iDevices, the first-gen iPod shuffle. Still have it, and it still works.

Edit: I've since had several iPods (which I've kept) and the third-gen iPad. I got an iPhone 5c about seven weeks ago, coming from a years-old Samsung slider dumbphone. It's my first smartphone and I'm loving it so far.

Last edited:

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
This:

m9460ll-a.jpg

It would also be my LAST iDevice and also the worst digital audio player I've ever come across; poor sound, forced use of iTunes, limited to EQ presets (no 5 band EQ) and worst of all it had an absolutely MISERABLE battery. Went from around 8 hours brand new down to 15 minutes per charge in about 10 months. Cherry on top was when the hard drive failed.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
This:

It would also be my LAST iDevice and also the worst digital audio player I've ever come across; poor sound, forced use of iTunes, limited to EQ presets (no 5 band EQ) and worst of all it had an absolutely MISERABLE battery. Went from around 8 hours brand new down to 15 minutes per charge in about 10 months. Cherry on top was when the hard drive failed.

So... You know that your experience was a single one-off, right? And if the battery got that bad in 10 months, then it would still have been under warranty.

Not to mention that the current iDevices are completely different beasts than that...

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
So... You know that your experience was a single one-off, right? And if the battery got that bad in 10 months, then it would still have been under warranty.

Not to mention that the current iDevices are completely different beasts than that...

I had it replaced by Apple. Had to send the iPod back and got a new one. I sold it immediately after getting it back. One off or not, the experience was the absolute worst of all mp3 players I owned... and I went through MANY.

I dont care for the current iDevices. The fact that Apple *still* locks you into iTunes for media is a major turn off. I want full access to all my files on my devices from ANY computer its hooked up to.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Here are pictures of my 1st gen iPod Nano which was my first iDevice. This thing would scratch if you looked at it the wrong way.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
iPod shuffle 1st gen -> iPod nano 3rd gen -> iPod touch 2nd gen -> iPod touch 4th gen -> iPod touch 5th gen -> hopefully an iPhone 5s soon

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Graphite iMac DVSE (it does so count, dangit!:p) but for portable iDevices, the first-gen iPod shuffle. Still have it, and it still works.

Edit: I've since had several iPods (which I've kept) and the third-gen iPad. I got an iPhone 5c about seven weeks ago, coming from a years-old Samsung slider dumbphone. It's my first smartphone and I'm loving it so far.

Hey. Your story is just like mine... I've had lots of iPods and an iPad and my phone was this cheap samsung intensity(a sliding phone...DUMB PHONE) then I got a blue 5c just a week or to ago.

Enjoyed hearing drone you...thanks

Edit:enjoyed hearing FROM you...auto correct changed it. Sorry :p

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Im an Apple user since 1990, but regarding my first "iDevice" I think it was an iPod Mini first generation, bought in 2004.

ipod_mini_2g_b.jpg

I was never convinced by the first iPod, too large for my needs, but i felt in love with the Mini.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
My first was an iPhone 3GS that I bought in Feb 2010.

Before that I had a Nokia 6225 for 4 or 5 years.

It's funny how now we feel like we need a new smartphone every year, but back when phones were used to talk to people they seemed to last forever.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
iPod Classic got me started down the Apple road. I had some experience with the early Apple desktops at work, but did not switch to a Macbook at home until later. Now I think I qualify as a fanboy, with MacBook Pro, iPad 1 and 3, iPhone 2,4,5,5s, and more iPod versions that I can remember.

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
I was a little late to the party; my first i was a 3Gs about 6-8 months into their production. Followed that up with my day-1 4s, followed by a day-1 5s. Never did the iPods or like for some strange reason. :confused:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm really late to the party. I'd never considered an iPhone before. I was happy when they released the 5c. I thought "I'm an Androidian but that blue color sure is beautiful."

So here I am with a gorgeous blue iPhone 5c. I'm satisfied with it. =]

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I'm really late to the party. I'd never considered an iPhone before. I was happy when they released the 5c. I thought "I'm an Androidian but that blue color sure is beautiful."

So here I am with a gorgeous blue iPhone 5c. I'm satisfied with it. =]

Welcome to the party! I love my 5c too.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
I got my first iDevice in the winter of '06 and it was a lime green 2nd gen. iPod nano. I was so proud of it, I think it was around 4gig and was amazed at how many songs it could hold!

I got a 2nd gen. iPod touch next and fell in love with the OS. I've been hooked on iOS since!

Since my iPod touch didn't hold much music, due to apps, I got the 5th gen. iPod nano in the Product (Red) color. Still use it sometimes!

My first iPhone was the 4, I had Verizon so when I heard rumors of iPhones coming to Verizon I was so excited and got it the day of. That phone was my baby for two and a half years, then I just got the iPhone 5 in the Spring.

Got a Macbook Pro this Fall...and yeah I am completely obsessed with anything Apple now, planning on investing in Apple TV and an iPad next :)

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I got my first iDevice in the winter of '06 and it was a lime green 2nd gen. iPod nano. I was so proud of it, I think it was around 4gig and was amazed at how many songs it could hold!

I got a 2nd gen. iPod touch next and fell in love with the OS. I've been hooked on iOS since!

Since my iPod touch didn't hold much music, due to apps, I got the 5th gen. iPod nano in the Product (Red) color. Still use it sometimes!

My first iPhone was the 4, I had Verizon so when I heard rumors of iPhones coming to Verizon I was so excited and got it the day of. That phone was my baby for two and a half years, then I just got the iPhone 5 in the Spring.

Got a Macbook Pro this Fall...and yeah I am completely obsessed with anything Apple now, planning on investing in Apple TV and an iPad next :)

I have both the Apple TV and an iPad... They are both completely worth it!!! But if you don't have a netflix or Hulu account the Apple TV is pointless because their isn't too much else to do on it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.