Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac Pro Launch Nears as Apple Business Staff Begin Offering Price Quotes

With potential customers of the new Mac Pro eagerly awaiting any sign of a more concrete launch date than the "December" timeframe announced by Apple at its October media event, increased activity from Apple's business team members suggests that a launch may indeed be very near.

While Apple has publicly remained silent on pricing for various Mac Pro configurations beyond the $2999/$3999 stock models in shown in its U.S. online store, members of the company's business sales team have on occasion been offering pricing quotes on build-to-order configurations upon request.

One Canadian forum member at FCP.co posted late last month that he had been quoted $9700 for a maxed-out Mac Pro with 1 TB flash storage, 64 GB of RAM, dual AMD FirePro D700 graphics, and a 12-core processor. Given Apple's current currency conversions, U.S. pricing should fall in the range of $9400-$9500, although that quote almost certainly incorporates a small discount made available to certain business customers. A somewhat lower-specced model with 512 GB of flash storage and an 8-core processor was quoted at $7700 Canadian.

But while Apple business team members have had some access to the full price list for the new Mac Pro for at least several weeks, team members appear to have become more proactive over the past several days, contacting business customers who had previously expressed interest in the new Mac Pro to offer them price quotes ahead of the official launch.

One MacRumors forum member yesterday posted a price quote he received from an Apple business sales representative for a build-to-order Mac Pro configuration, a higher-end stock model upgraded with additional RAM and flash storage. Pricing for that configuration came to $4464 in the quote, but retail pricing would be slightly higher.

A second MacRumors reader reported today that he was contacted by a member of Apple's business sales team requesting desired configuration options for the purposes of generating a price quote. The Apple representative indicated that a price quote could be available by Monday, December 16, but it is unknown if that corresponds to any public release of additional information for that date.

Aside from the recent activity from Apple's business sales team regarding the new Mac Pro, the rapidly approaching holidays also led to speculation that a Mac Pro launch could come sooner rather than later. Next week is the last full week before Christmas, and with many Apple employees having time off around the holidays, the company would likely prefer to avoid conflicts with the holidays as much as possible.

An alternative theory suggests, however, that Apple may still be working to secure the component volumes it needs to produce a launch batch of the machines. As a result, the company could have little alternative but to launch the new Mac Pro in small volumes at the very end of the month in order to technically meet its stated launch timeframe while being able to push the bulk of its initial deliveries into early 2014.

Article Link: Mac Pro Launch Nears as Apple Business Staff Begin Offering Price Quotes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
I can't wait to get mine! I hope it is next week.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
violst
macrumors 6502

Its about time, people have been waiting for this bad boy for a long, long time.

Lets get this show on the road.

Last edited by violst; Dec 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
violst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Yay, I can't wait to see one in stores. I actually don't think the price is too outrageous as it is intended for a business and not an individual. I just hope they update those thunderbolt monitors soon.
yinz is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
It's so weird how people are excited for this now that it's about to be released. June time, everyone was in a fritz! I never had doubt in Apple to push things forward.

I think we'll see a shift in Wintel OEMs choosing to take a very similar stance on their next workstations.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Bassic
macrumors newbie

I can't wait for it either! I hope it is Monday or Tuesday!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
A somewhat lower-specced model with 500 GB of flash storage and an 8-core processor was quoted at $7700 Canadian.
Minor thing, but it should read 512 GB or flash storage.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:40 PM   #8
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Reminds me so much of the G4 Cube. In a good way
fun173 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:40 PM   #9
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftywamumonkey View Post
Minor thing, but it should read 512 GB or flash storage.
Yep, thanks...didn't catch error from the post on the other forum.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:46 PM   #10
anonnymouse
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
But while Apple business team members have had some access to the full price list for the new Mac Pro for at least several weeks, team members appear to have become more proactive over the past several days, contacting business customers who had previously expressed interest in the new Mac Pro to offer them price quotes ahead of the official launch.
The apparent "proactive"-ness is purely Apple pushing business teams with "Campaigns" that must be completed within certain time frames - Gifting and Rewards, End of Year, etc. 2 calls and 1 email required to each customer on a very long list for each campaign.

It's quite annoying.
anonnymouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:48 PM   #11
mrtravel123
macrumors regular

Prices are already falling drastically.

The first Mac Pro sold last month was $977,000.00.

Today they're down to about $9,500.00.

... and people say that Apple never reduces their prices much. Hogwash.
mrtravel123 is offline   87 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:48 PM   #12
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

If it's under $10K then it's not too bad since we were expecting it to be $12.5K. Add in the 3x4K monitors, oh wait...
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:52 PM   #13
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

I'm going to guess this coming Tuesday, December 17th, for its launch.

Stock inventory will be low, and BTOs will take forever to ship.
KylePowers is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:58 PM   #14
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Everything looks good. Just hope that a friend doesn't mistake it for a trash can. Imagine banana peels and brewed coffee waste stuck in the fans!

Tip: put it on top of your desk instead of the floor.
sshhoott is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:09 AM   #15
Parasprite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtravel123 View Post
Prices are already falling drastically.

The first Mac Pro sold last month was $977,000.00.

Today they're down to about $9,500.00.

... and people say that Apple never reduces their prices much. Hogwash.
This joke was...*puts on sunglasses*

priceless
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:09 AM   #16
wikiverse
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
Everything looks good. Just hope that a friend doesn't mistake it for a trash can. Imagine banana peels and brewed coffee waste stuck in the fans!

Tip: put it on top of your desk instead of the floor.
But then you will have a rat-nest of cables running all over your desk.
wikiverse is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Michael73
macrumors 6502a

I should be getting a call this week as a registered business customer who's already told the team to count me in

Eager to see the configured price of an 8 core, 1TB SSD, 16 GB Ram, D500s and AppleCare.

It sounds like the upgrade from the 6 to 8 core is going to be more dear than my other specs increases.
2TB TC, 64GB iPad / 5S / 4S, Drobo 5D, 3 x TV
Michael73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:21 AM   #18
AndrewMRiv
macrumors regular

Very cool! There is no way that I will be able to afford one of these, but I hope they can be on display at the Apple Stores so I can play around with one at least!
AndrewMRiv is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:21 AM   #19
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

And I can't afford one.
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Cory Bauer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Cory Bauer
So if there's a $2,000 difference between two identical configurations apart from 12-core vs 8-core and 1tb vs 512gb - and we know based on their other Macs that the storage is a $500 difference - does that mean Apple will be charging a $1,500 fee to upgrade from 8-core to 12-cores? And knowing that Intel's pricing on those chips is $1723 and $2614 ($891 difference) - that would mean Apple's adding some serious markup to those processor upgrades.

So...what should be a $1,500 upgrade to move from the 4-core to the 8-core will probably be more like $2,000? Basically I just want to know what the 8-core upgrade alone will be priced at.
Cory Bauer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:31 AM   #21
4God
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post
So if there's a $2,000 difference between two identical configurations apart from 12-core vs 8-core and 1tb vs 512gb - and we know based on their other Macs that the storage is a $500 difference - does that mean Apple will be charging a $1,500 fee to upgrade from 8-core to 12-cores? And knowing that Intel's pricing on those chips is $1723 and $2614 ($891 difference) - that would mean Apple's adding some serious markup to those processor upgrades.

So...what should be a $1,500 upgrade to move from the 4-core to the 8-core will probably be more like $2,000? Basically I just want to know what the 8-core upgrade alone will be priced at.
I'll bet there's a graphics card upgrade in there too. I think the base comes with dual D300 the 8 Core probably has dual D700's.
4God is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:36 AM   #22
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

We don't know that's the only difference do we? There could be other enhancements you only get when purchasing the top model. Apples good-better-best routine in action again...
mw360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:37 AM   #23
Cory Bauer
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Cory Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
I'll bet there's a graphics card upgrade in there too. I think the base comes with dual D300 the 8 Core probably has dual D700's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
We don't know that's the only difference do we? There could be other enhancements you only get when purchasing the top model. Apples good-better-best routine in action again...
You can upgrade the CPU and GPU independently - according to Apple's tech specs page. There is no prebuilt 8-core model. The guy said a 12-core/64gb/1tb/dual D700s was $9700CDN and an 8-core/64gb/512gb/dual D700s was $7700CDN. And again, the storage difference is only $500.
Cory Bauer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:38 AM   #24
lilo777
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
It's so weird how people are excited for this now that it's about to be released. June time, everyone was in a fritz! I never had doubt in Apple to push things forward.

I think we'll see a shift in Wintel OEMs choosing to take a very similar stance on their next workstations.
Why would they do that? They sell way more workstations than Apple.
lilo777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 01:05 AM   #25
phobos
macrumors member

The prices are way too high.
Add to that the fact that it's a first generation product and I would stay away from it as far as possible...

Hope I'm wrong but from what I've heard so far this is one product to avoid.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion