Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac_pro_2013_roundup_header-250x141.jpg
With potential customers of the new Mac Pro eagerly awaiting any sign of a more concrete launch date than the "December" timeframe announced by Apple at its October media event, increased activity from Apple's business team members suggests that a launch may indeed be very near.

While Apple has publicly remained silent on pricing for various Mac Pro configurations beyond the $2999/$3999 stock models in shown in its U.S. online store, members of the company's business sales team have on occasion been offering pricing quotes on build-to-order configurations upon request.

One Canadian forum member at FCP.co posted late last month that he had been quoted $9700 for a maxed-out Mac Pro with 1 TB flash storage, 64 GB of RAM, dual AMD FirePro D700 graphics, and a 12-core processor. Given Apple's current currency conversions, U.S. pricing should fall in the range of $9400-$9500, although that quote almost certainly incorporates a small discount made available to certain business customers. A somewhat lower-specced model with 512 GB of flash storage and an 8-core processor was quoted at $7700 Canadian.

But while Apple business team members have had some access to the full price list for the new Mac Pro for at least several weeks, team members appear to have become more proactive over the past several days, contacting business customers who had previously expressed interest in the new Mac Pro to offer them price quotes ahead of the official launch.

One MacRumors forum member yesterday posted a price quote he received from an Apple business sales representative for a build-to-order Mac Pro configuration, a higher-end stock model upgraded with additional RAM and flash storage. Pricing for that configuration came to $4464 in the quote, but retail pricing would be slightly higher.

mac_pro_2013_business_quote.jpg
A second MacRumors reader reported today that he was contacted by a member of Apple's business sales team requesting desired configuration options for the purposes of generating a price quote. The Apple representative indicated that a price quote could be available by Monday, December 16, but it is unknown if that corresponds to any public release of additional information for that date.

Aside from the recent activity from Apple's business sales team regarding the new Mac Pro, the rapidly approaching holidays also led to speculation that a Mac Pro launch could come sooner rather than later. Next week is the last full week before Christmas, and with many Apple employees having time off around the holidays, the company would likely prefer to avoid conflicts with the holidays as much as possible.

An alternative theory suggests, however, that Apple may still be working to secure the component volumes it needs to produce a launch batch of the machines. As a result, the company could have little alternative but to launch the new Mac Pro in small volumes at the very end of the month in order to technically meet its stated launch timeframe while being able to push the bulk of its initial deliveries into early 2014.

Article Link: Mac Pro Launch Nears as Apple Business Staff Begin Offering Price Quotes

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Its about time, people have been waiting for this bad boy for a long, long time.

Lets get this show on the road.

Last edited:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Yay, I can't wait to see one in stores. I actually don't think the price is too outrageous as it is intended for a business and not an individual. I just hope they update those thunderbolt monitors soon.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
It's so weird how people are excited for this now that it's about to be released. June time, everyone was in a fritz! I never had doubt in Apple to push things forward.

I think we'll see a shift in Wintel OEMs choosing to take a very similar stance on their next workstations.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
But while Apple business team members have had some access to the full price list for the new Mac Pro for at least several weeks, team members appear to have become more proactive over the past several days, contacting business customers who had previously expressed interest in the new Mac Pro to offer them price quotes ahead of the official launch.

The apparent "proactive"-ness is purely Apple pushing business teams with "Campaigns" that must be completed within certain time frames - Gifting and Rewards, End of Year, etc. 2 calls and 1 email required to each customer on a very long list for each campaign.

It's quite annoying.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Prices are already falling drastically.

The first Mac Pro sold last month was $977,000.00.

Today they're down to about $9,500.00.

... and people say that Apple never reduces their prices much. Hogwash.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm going to guess this coming Tuesday, December 17th, for its launch.

Stock inventory will be low, and BTOs will take forever to ship.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Everything looks good. Just hope that a friend doesn't mistake it for a trash can. Imagine banana peels and brewed coffee waste stuck in the fans! :eek:

Tip: put it on top of your desk instead of the floor.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Prices are already falling drastically.

The first Mac Pro sold last month was $977,000.00.

Today they're down to about $9,500.00.

... and people say that Apple never reduces their prices much. Hogwash.

This joke was...*puts on sunglasses*

priceless

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Everything looks good. Just hope that a friend doesn't mistake it for a trash can. Imagine banana peels and brewed coffee waste stuck in the fans! :eek:

Tip: put it on top of your desk instead of the floor.

But then you will have a rat-nest of cables running all over your desk.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I should be getting a call this week as a registered business customer who's already told the team to count me in :D

Eager to see the configured price of an 8 core, 1TB SSD, 16 GB Ram, D500s and AppleCare.

It sounds like the upgrade from the 6 to 8 core is going to be more dear than my other specs increases.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Very cool! There is no way that I will be able to afford one of these, but I hope they can be on display at the Apple Stores so I can play around with one at least!

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
So if there's a $2,000 difference between two identical configurations apart from 12-core vs 8-core and 1tb vs 512gb - and we know based on their other Macs that the storage is a $500 difference - does that mean Apple will be charging a $1,500 fee to upgrade from 8-core to 12-cores? And knowing that Intel's pricing on those chips is $1723 and $2614 ($891 difference) - that would mean Apple's adding some serious markup to those processor upgrades.

So...what should be a $1,500 upgrade to move from the 4-core to the 8-core will probably be more like $2,000? Basically I just want to know what the 8-core upgrade alone will be priced at.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
So if there's a $2,000 difference between two identical configurations apart from 12-core vs 8-core and 1tb vs 512gb - and we know based on their other Macs that the storage is a $500 difference - does that mean Apple will be charging a $1,500 fee to upgrade from 8-core to 12-cores? And knowing that Intel's pricing on those chips is $1723 and $2614 ($891 difference) - that would mean Apple's adding some serious markup to those processor upgrades.

So...what should be a $1,500 upgrade to move from the 4-core to the 8-core will probably be more like $2,000? Basically I just want to know what the 8-core upgrade alone will be priced at.

I'll bet there's a graphics card upgrade in there too. I think the base comes with dual D300 the 8 Core probably has dual D700's.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

We don't know that's the only difference do we? There could be other enhancements you only get when purchasing the top model. Apples good-better-best routine in action again...

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I'll bet there's a graphics card upgrade in there too. I think the base comes with dual D300 the 8 Core probably has dual D700's.
We don't know that's the only difference do we? There could be other enhancements you only get when purchasing the top model. Apples good-better-best routine in action again...

You can upgrade the CPU and GPU independently - according to Apple's tech specs page. There is no prebuilt 8-core model. The guy said a 12-core/64gb/1tb/dual D700s was $9700CDN and an 8-core/64gb/512gb/dual D700s was $7700CDN. And again, the storage difference is only $500.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It's so weird how people are excited for this now that it's about to be released. June time, everyone was in a fritz! I never had doubt in Apple to push things forward.

I think we'll see a shift in Wintel OEMs choosing to take a very similar stance on their next workstations.

Why would they do that? They sell way more workstations than Apple.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
The prices are way too high.
Add to that the fact that it's a first generation product and I would stay away from it as far as possible...

Hope I'm wrong but from what I've heard so far this is one product to avoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.