Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Well the previous two posts basically make me feel insignificant now, I was expecting to come in with my original iMac G4 and look like a hero :p

Well anyway, I'll post it. Unfortunately I'm moving, so no pics, but whatever ;)...

Original iMac G4 700MHz fully upgraded (but kept original parts, too sentimental now :p)

1GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, OS X 10.4.11 (10.5 possible, but too slow...)
Original box, all DVDs, paperwork, AppleCare documents, manuals and Pro Keyboard/Mouse, Apple Pro Speakers (albeit a bit fuzzy now sound-wise), and cords.

I've seen people use new Mac Mini guts, or even Intel's new NUCs in the base, but that'd ruin the beauty :p

I absolutely love the computer- the design is impeccible, and the white-on-chrome theme is clean and simple. I like the little plastic overhang coming off the matte 15" display, and when the dvd drive is out, it looks like the Mac is sticking its tongue out at you (like in the commercial). I'll never sell this baby- it's all there, and all gorgeous and like-new. I mean, if someone offered $1000 I'd think twice MAYBE :p.

So there's my two cents, I use a 2006 MacBook now, so I'm hardly a modern Mac owner, but at least it's Intel :D.

Thanks for reading! I'd like to hear if others have this beauty as well :). As a final point, I hate the 20" and 24" (I think) iMac G4's- the 15" is the perfect size to compliment the base, although the workspace is of course a bit small.

Thanks!

:apple::apple:
Noah Budgor

You'd never get a grand, even on eBay, which tends to be 15 - 20% overpriced. On eBay a complete iMac G4 20" in good condition will only fetch $250 - $300, a 15" even less, probably $80 - $100.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You'd never get a grand, even on eBay, which tends to be 15 - 20% overpriced. On eBay a complete iMac G4 20" in good condition will only fetch $250 - $300, a 15" even less, probably $80 - $100.

I think that was his point. That it would take a ridiculously high offer to make him even think of selling it.

Great rig you have there, Buddygor! I have the original 17" model - 800 MHz, GeForce4MX, still capable of booting OS 9.

At present, mine has basically every Apple OS it is capable of running, on separate partitions:

Mac OS 9.2.2 / OS X 10.1.5 on one partition (the original software load of this system.)
OS X 10.2.8 on another
10.3.9 on a third
10.4.11 on a fourth
10.5.8 on the last (the 800 MHz CPU, with 1 GB RAM and a faster-than-stock 7200 RPM hard drive makes it bearable.)

Mine tends to spend the majority of its time in either OS 9 or Tiger. (Yes, Leopard is "usable", but Tiger is still faster - and with TenFourFox, I don't really lose out on much in Tiger.)

CapnCrunch53

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Indiana
Currently up to 8 Macs right now, and while it has for the most part been for the sake of collecting older machines and not really any serious usage, if I get it working the Macbook is actually going to become my school laptop (my main laptop is too big/bad battery life, and my netbook is really showing its age). Some of these have some interesting upgrades, especially the video cards in the PowerMacs (which I upgraded myself), and the upgraded SE (which I did not). You might be able to guess that I got my PowerMacs when I was big into watching Community...

• "Scrappy" - Early 2008 Macbook Black: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2, Intel X3100, 64GB Kingston SSD, OSX 10.7.5 Lion
  • "Inspector Spacetime" - PowerMac G4 MDD FW800: Dual 1.42GHz PPC G4, 2GB DDR, 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro (flashed), 60GB + 120GB HDD, OSX 10.5.8 Leopard
  • "Constable Reggie" - PowerMac G4 MDD: Dual 867MHz PPC G4, 1GB DDR, 128MB GeForce TI-4600, 60GB + 80GB HDD, OSX 10.4.11 Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2
  • "Constable Geneva" - PowerMac G3 Blue&White: 500MHz Sonnet PPC G4, 512MB RAM, 16MB Rage 128GL, 12MB 3Dfx Voodoo2, 40GB HDD, Mac OS 8.6
  • "Clammie" - iBook SE Graphite: 466MHz PPC G3, 320MB RAM, Rage128, 32GB KingSpec SSD, Mac OS 9.2.2
  • "Max" - Macintosh LC550: 33MHz Motorola 68030, 36MB RAM, 160MB HDD, Ethernet Adapter, System 7.1
  • "Gregg" - Macintosh SE: 32MHz Motorola 68030 (using Performer Pro Accelerator Card), 4MB RAM, 170MB Quantum Lightning, System 7.1
  • iMac Slotloader Indigo: 350MHz PPC G3, everything else unknown! Just bought it...

Last edited:

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
It's been a long time coming but I finally have my mini Apple store, tribute museum built. I hope you enjoy. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

On Walls:
Original Apple PowerMac G4 Cube Banner hung at release of G4 Cube at Apple Store Palo Alto. Flawless.

First Apple Computer poster circa 1980. Some small defects but a very rare artifact.

Volume 1 edition 1-3 Apple Personal Computer magazine. Not many of these were printed and they are all nearly flawless.

Apple Moose Head shirt. The internal, unofficial name given to the 1989 Macintosh Portable M5120. Shirts were given members of the design team during a release party for the Macintosh Portable prior to it's public release.

Apple Earthquake Survival guide shirt and pamphlet. This internal Apple document and shirt was given to Apple employees after the 1989 quake in case an event were to happen like that again. There is pamphlet from the Red Cross and Apple discussing what to do during an earthquake, where to meet in the event of another one, and how to protect one's self from injury.

Prototype NeXT Cube board with unknown configuration on the board itself. Hand built and untested. NeXT P/N: 437.00AB

1998 Apple Thinking Different Campaign booklet. This book contains all of Apple's famous Think Different photographs as well as poems accompanying the previous page for each picture. Extremely rare, and much simpler than trying to find space for all Apple's Think Different full size posters.

1985 Apple Confidential Dealers price list. 15 Aug 1985. One of the earliest examples of a price guide and an artifact of the Jackling Estate.

NeXT original poster circa 1988. This, now-classic image by Paul Rand for NeXT computers was the most expensive branding logo in branding history, at the time. Steve Jobs paid more than $100,000 for Paul Rand to brand NeXT Computers back in*when this emerged after Steve*departed Apple.*

1993 Apple putter given to individuals who attended a special corporate even in Cupertino during the early 90's. A former employee sold it to me and said they were the only one out for 20 individuals at the tournament. Of those 20 employees she was the only one who did not use the putter but rather took it to their car for safe keeping.

Apple Mathematica poster circa 1998.

Apple original THINK poster most famous for being behind Steve Job's on the post of him sitting on his desk. Branded off the original IBM THINK campaign Apple added its colors as a play/to poke fun at IBM.

1 share Pixar stock with Steve Jobs lithograph signature.

Vintage Apple cooler/radio working.

Apple Pippin working in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple Newton charging pad sealed in box, serial numbers matching.

Apple Newton 100 in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple Developers/Prototype Newton 110 in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple 1st Generation iPod, 5GB, in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple 3rd Generation iPod, 30GB, in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple eMate, working in box, serial numbers matching.

Macintosh Portable external battery charger in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple QuickTake 150 in box, working, serial numbers matching.

Apple PowerCD in box, working, serial numbers matching.

On Desk:
Apple IIe. Owner personally by Steve Jobs. Working.

Apple Lisa 2 Prototype working. This Lisa is very special. The back cover plate is smooth, missing the Apple logo, and has the letters F and B where the display control knobs are. This is different from a production Lisa has a textured back, has icons for the display control knobs, and has an Apple logo. The back bridge board is missing any identifying port marks and has the words "Pull here to remove" hand written on the back CPU rack. The ROM chips are extremely early and the Lisa itself has no Apple serial number. The PSU on the back is an extremely early production model being 331 and has no Apple markings on it besides what the manufacturer provided. The Lisa display an E87 in the upper right corner of the machine which is something unseen previously. The hard drive has very unique ROM chips and the display has an "Ultra Tuned" yoke. The keyboard, and mouse all have unique matching Apple tester numbers and the Lisa has an Apple Asset ID tag on it. This Lisa also has a instructions for development testing and the original Lisa 2 manual.

NeXT Cube 68040 25Mhz with 64MB of RAM and a "Sample-A" developers chip on the board. The NeXT Cube and Display are both fully working and are in their original, factory shipping boxes with matching serials. The internal boxes and factory plastic/foam to protect the NeXT Cube and Display are present. All NeXT/Open Step OS MO disks and CD-ROM's are in tact and in their boxes with a working original Maxtor HD and working original MO drive, NeXT branded. The NeXT branded hex tool and NeXT branded power cables are also present.

MacintoshTV in box, working, serial numbers matching. All original literature and CD-caddy/install CD's are present. Correct black, matching, Apple keyboard and mouse with internal boxes and factory plastic/foam to protect the MacTV.

Twentieth Anniversary Mac (TAM) working, with 64GB SSD upgrade, Sonnet 500Mhz accelerator, 128MB RAM, Bose buzz permanent fix, CD-ROM upgrade with prototype keyboard, PCBA riser to Twisted-Sister ethernet card, and USB with FATBACK.

In Display:
Mac OS X Public Beta disc. This disc was given to a select few Apple developers as a preview of what would become the Mac OS X operating system. This OS was mostly based off Steve's work at NeXT during the 80's-90's and provided massive GUI and performance upgrades. The CD is nearly flawless and has been installed on a G4 Cube. It's a half breed of Mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X. Most of the look of 9.2.2 with some OS X polishing touches but a very crude version of OS X.

MacWorld Magazine in perfect condition discussing Apple's new breakthrough computer the Twentieth Anniversary Mac. Vintage versions of MacWorld are fairly difficult to find but this specific edition discussing the TAM Mac is extremely rare. The TAM itself was a massive flop for Apple but the technology in the machine was well ahead of it's time. Unfortunately the TAM was discontinued after only a year and this relic is an artifact of how serious the TAM is.

Apple Bluetooth keyboard working, prototype. This keyboard is a fully working prototype with instructions for use on the bottom. The developers were supposed to check this unit in and out everyday on a sign out sheet. Somewhere along the way that did not happen and this keyboard made it out into the world. It's a fine example of an early development testing unit of the Apple Bluetooth keyboard sold at Apple stores from 2002-2007.

Vintage Apple colored pencil set with matching Apple logo wooden box. I picked these up because I'd never seen them before. The box is done in the traditional Apple wood of choice being maple. The wooden box also has a built in pencil sharpener should one need to resharpen a pencil. The set came in it's original plastic, which I have for safe keeping, but has never been used.

Vintage Apple floppy disk organizer circa 1985. This particular box is dark brown with a gold Apple logo in the center. These boxes are extremely rare, and this is a very early example of one of these organizers. Apple came out with a series of these back in the 80's for different computer releases. This one not having any distinguishing characteristics means it's one of the first models of this kind of organizer.

Macintosh M5126 Portable (backlit) working, prototype, with developers board, prototype modem card, 4MB of total RAM, PDS card with one of a kind SCSI port for CNC file dumping and extensions for communication with card. This Portable was not approved by the FCC and was not authorized for sale. The Portable has been confirmed to have one off custom soldered leads but engineers at Apple for development testing. A custom build spacer plate was built for a SCSI CF reader adapter so the Portable has 8GB of removable space. Includes call original accessories, case, extended numeric keypad, and manuals.

Apple PowerMac G4 Cube power supply working, prototype that came with prototype G4 Cube.

Apple PowerMac G4 Cube working, prototype. Only one known to exist. This Cube has the word Prototype across the back with no FCC approval and is not authorized for sale. The chip in the computer should be a 400MHz chip but it has been over clocked to 500Mhz. The Cube also has a massive CD-drive with an eject button on it for testing. The machine also has the only Cube with a built in speaker on the back, 0.75" cone on back. All board, chips, and hardware have EVT markings on them and each component is a piece that was unreleased for testing. The BIO and firmware are both one no one has ever seen or heard of. The only way the machine will run is on Mac OS 9.2.2.

Transparent Mac SE working, prototype. This Mac is probably one of the most, if not the most, iconic Mac's of all time. When I think of a Mac that little square with a 9" CRT is what pops into my head. For that reason this is the most coveted Mac possibly ever. I've heard different numbers thrown around on the number of these in the world. I can't definitely say I know exactly how many where made but there were less than 10 fully working models made. This transparent SE has an extremely early, hand soldered CPU board, with the correct Aladdin markings on the PSU/video board, and board internally. The transparent SE has a special set of images in the ROM files of the individuals responsible for the create of this clear monster. Supposedly these machines were produced clear for smoke testing and evaluation purposes so the developers could see inside the machine with it on. Few of these exist in the real world, most are still at Apple but this transparent beauty works flawlessly.

Macintosh M5120 Portable (backlit) working, with developers RAM, prototype modem card, 6MB of total RAM, and the extremely rare factory Apple backlit upgrade kit for the non-backlit model display. Includes call original accessories, case, and manuals.

Not on display:
2x 450Mhz PowerMac G4 Cube in box, working, serials matching, still in factory Apple protective foam/custom Apple protective wrap. Both have been tested but are new, other than being tested. All factory components including speakers, power supplies, and accessories are in their factory Apple foam packaging never opened. These Cube are flawless and I have never seen any like it in the past 3 years of upgrading Cubes.

Twentieth Anniversary Mac (TAM) in box, working, serial numbers matching with original receipt. The machine is still in the factory plastic all the seals on the inner boxes are in tact.

Apple Pismo laptop in new, box, working, serial numbers matching with dual extended capacity batteries, 512MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11

Prototype TAM being restored currently.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 375
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 375
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 388
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 390
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 314
Reactions: Gamer9430

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Great collection as always mkjj

I need to start working on getting the rest of my older equipment into their little nests at home. Just put a G4 back into regular circulation, and it's time to get the 840av setup again as a regular system too ;) .

Thanks!

As always, time is needed to do this properly, sadly lacking at the moment :)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
It's been a long time coming but I finally have my mini Apple store, tribute museum built. I hope you enjoy. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Awesome collection! Wish I had that much stuff to enjoy and cherish.:)

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I still have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 867Mhz at home. :cool:
My brother uses it to play Rise of nations and manage his iPod.
I'm loving my MBP I have now and soon will be buying my fiancé a 13" MBA as an early wedding gift.

heymadmat

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Melbourne
my collection

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJIEFHS,jim-hBSQY+QS21g~~48_20.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJIEFHS,jim-hBSQY+QS21g~~48_20.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 227
  • $T2eC16R,!wsE9suwydZ+BSQY+FDmLw~~48_20.JPG
    $T2eC16R,!wsE9suwydZ+BSQY+FDmLw~~48_20.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 193

toples50

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
My collection

Hello from Greece.You can see a part of my small Apple collection...

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 360

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD, Mavericks
PowerMac G5, Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB RAM, 80GB & 380 GB HD, Leopard
iMac G4 17", 1GHz PowerPC G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, Tiger
iMac G3 DV Graphite, 500MHz PowerPC G3, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, Tiger
20" Apple Cinema Display (Silver), iOS 7
iPhone 5, 16GB, White, AT&T
Apple Wired Keyboard
Apple Wired Mighty Mouse
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
3 Other Apple keyboards (White, White Pro, Black)
2 other mice (Apple Pro & Apple, both white)
Apple Puck Mouse
Several sets of headphones

Caramac

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
G3 iMac, still finding new uses

My collection started with inheriting this after the mac-mini release:

• [*]iMac G3 266 Tray Load Lime, 268MB RAM, 6GB HD, Panther 10.3.9. - someone did an 'Easy Install' (3GB used).

• iMac G3 400 DV Blueberry, 1GB RAM, 20GB HD, Tiger, Airport
  • iMac G3 400 DV Tangerine, 1GB RAM, 20GB HD, Tiger, Airport
with keyboards & Hockey Puck mice & original Tangerine OS 8.6, OS 9, iMovie CD-ROM sets, spare DVD-ROM.
[craigslist 'seller' just wanted the two iMacs put to use, not trashed.]
Mint condition.

• iMac G3 600 SE Flower Power 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, Tiger.
Overheating - added a fan. Somehow PO banged up the inside of the assembly, underneath the FP shell.

• mac-mini G4 1,25, 1GB RAM, 40GB HD, Leopard.
  • mac-mini Intel 1.50 with a T7200 Processor upgrade, 80GB HD,
    2GB RAM.

• Apple FW cable to the D*ll.
  • Apple iPod nano 6 plugged into the car system.

The title: I find the Apple will update email or even stream music via iTunes, all while 'sleeping'.

Last edited:

conchology

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Philippines
computer collection - new website

I would like to introduce my newly launched Apple computer collection website: http://www.maccollection.net
to the Macrumors community.

It is the first time this collection is shown to the public. You have access to over 600 photographed and documented items. I included some pictures in this post as well.

0031.jpg
0109.jpg
0591.jpg
0516.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.