Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Can this run a multi-user/multi-headed Mac system?

For example, to have 6 displays/mouse/keyboards with each for an individual user and their desktop, logging into the machine on their own account, while using things like Aperture or Mail or whatever?

Would like for multiple users to share one system, whenever they need a full-specced system for things like Aperture or Final Cut Pro X, but they'll mostly be using Mail/Safari/etc..

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
btw the price seems about the same as previous gen Mac Pros. My 2009 Nehalem 12 core + RAID was about 9k.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
The prices are way too high.
Add to that the fact that it's a first generation product and I would stay away from it as far as possible...

Hope I'm wrong but from what I've heard so far this is one product to avoid.

Wow, FUD and jealously in one post... :rolleyes:

----------

Care to elaborate?

He just expected the prices to start the same as the MacMini... :eek::cool:

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Care to elaborate?
Yes, I'd like to hear this as well.

And considering the $9,700 configuration quoted includes $2,600 worth of CPUs, $900 worth of RAM, $6,800 worth of GPUs and $800 worth of solid state storage if you were to buy the same parts outright, I'm not sure I'd called the prices way too high, either.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
So what's the over/under on the nMP slipping in large-scale deliveries until after NAB in April? And how much crow will Cook need to eat?

jjofc11

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
AMD? Really?, Thats sad

For that price I would expect to have intel processors, people who fixes computers knows that the life spam of the AMD is way shorter than intel plus intel is more efficient

Jun 10, 2013
For that price I would expect to have intel processors, people who fixes computers knows that the life spam of the AMD is way shorter than intel plus intel is more efficient

They come with AMD Graphics cards, and Intel processors. How have you gotten this far into the thread without realising this?

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Aside from the price, this is one Apple product I don't like in terms of aesthetics, but I'll reserve final judgment when I see it in person.

I still prefer the older Mac Pro design.

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
FCP 10.1 anywhere?

I'm waiting for FCP 10.1. It was said that there will be a new version of it to accompany the Mac Pro, and I've very surprised it's taken this long. It seemed logical to do with FCP and the Mac Pro what they do with iOS and new iPhones, release the software early before the hardware. I hope several of the issues I've submitted have been fixed, audio editing is better, and even major changes like letting me bring Motion projects back into FCP.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Funny to see people that clearly don't need a Mac Pro criticize its prices just because they can't afford it.
Don't get me wrong: it isn't cheap by any mean, like every apple products.
But it's intended for a market where 9000-7000 $ are money available for a productive job.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I remember last year had big constraints on the iMac shipments due to their new manufacturing process, hopefully the Mac Pro isn't suffering the same fate...

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Considering 8 core processor is a lot more expensive than the 6 core, that means if the 8 core 512 SSD 64 GB Memory Dual D700 is 7700$, then a 6 core with 512 SSD, 32 GB Memory Dual D700 should be around 5500$, which is a really good deal for a machine with dual W9000 cards, considering the GPU's alone cost 6000$ retail.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Great, finally some actual Mac Rumors!

I hope you can get the 12-core with the D300s, but that might be a pipe dream. I'd like the 12-core without having to put down close to $10K.

Can't wait for the full BTO pricing.

Edit: Duh. It says right on the Apple site that you can put the 12-core with the D300s. Just no BTO pricing.

Last edited:

.:Aleph:.

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
Yippeee!

$9,700 almost seems like a bargain. If it were $12,000, or even crossed the $10,000 mark, the screams would be far more frequent and far more audible.

Yet I'm probably going to wait a year before I buy this. I want to see how things develop, and I can almost sense a few glitches coming. :D

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Yippeee!

$9,700 almost seems like a bargain. If it were $12,000, or even crossed the $10,000 mark, the screams would be far more frequent and far more audible.

Yet I'm probably going to wait a year before I buy this. I want to see how things develop, and I can almost sense a few glitches coming. :D

I am actually thinking that this is a bit too expensive after seeing those quotes - more like Macintosh IIfx levels, frankly.

shakeandbake

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
Add to that the fact that it's a first generation product and I would stay away from it as far as possible...

Lol, really??
Have you heard that??
That's weird.... they're not out yet. *confused*
Who could you POSSIBLY have heard that from??
Are the only people that've used it so far, the engineers that designed it, calling your house to bad mouth themselves???
Oh.... you just made it up for internet attention because you're a sad & pathetic liar...? Got it.

Jayse

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia

Please do tell me more about all the non-existent product reviews you've read.

People will stay away from this first-gen Mac Pro just like they stayed away from the first-gen iPods, iPhones & iPads...

eladnova

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2012
Yay, I can't wait to see one in stores. I actually don't think the price is too outrageous as it is intended for a business and not an individual. I just hope they update those thunderbolt monitors soon.

Plenty of businesses out there consisting of a single individual.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
We got our order in for one of our clients on Thursday. Deliver 1st week of January. Decent margins on them too for once.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hefty price tag there...

But people who are in the biz, can easily afford it anyway..... but i can't see ordinary consumers going for this....

Then again, i have been wrong before........

.....several times in fact...... so this may be my lucky day.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Yippeee!

Add a monitor/keyboard/mouse/thunderbolt PCI Expansion Chassis (red rocket, fiber, decklink, vid capture)/Firewire and Ethernet Adapters/External Hard Drive enclosures (just to migrate the existing internal data on an old Mac Pro) and the cost is up around the $12k-13k mark. Not such great value compared to the old Mac Pros or a comparable expandable PC. If you don't need to expand it is ok.

But price aside, I agree. Never, ever buy a first generation Apple product. Bugs and glitches galore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.