Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
My Saga is finally over!

I never thought this day would come. My latest iPhone's power button stopped working so I made an appointment with the Apple Store. I didn't have any expectations whatsoever this time given my horrible experiences with the iPhone 5. But today, for the first time in since November 2012, the replacement I got was not an F1 or F2. This time is a DQ and lo and behold, no interlacing at ALL.

Overall I'm still very disappointed in Apple for using these cheap screens. I've went through a total of 7 iPhones and finally have one that works as advertised. I might have to hold out on the iPhone 6. I don't want to go through any of this again.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I never thought this day would come. My latest iPhone's power button stopped working so I made an appointment with the Apple Store. I didn't have any expectations whatsoever this time given my horrible experiences with the iPhone 5. But today, for the first time in since November 2012, the replacement I got was not an F1 or F2. This time is a DQ and lo and behold, no interlacing at ALL.

Overall I'm still very disappointed in Apple for using these cheap screens. I've went through a total of 7 iPhones and finally have one that works as advertised. I might have to hold out on the iPhone 6. I don't want to go through any of this again.

I've had 3 iphone 5S each of them have had screen interlacing. I'm debating ordering yet another iphone, but the ordering/returning is just a hassle, and I don't want a ****** screen.

kaptan

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
No they are a lot of interlacing screens on 5S here in Germany!

I have found out that this screens are horrible when you play 3D games! They somehow disable the nice Anti Aliasing graphics Feature on ALL games, wich normaly eliminate the broken and ugly looking Edges of Polygon 3D Objects. This faulty screens make the games look flickering and unsoft, its really a pain for the eyes!

Check this out by comparing

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
No they are a lot of interlacing screens on 5S here in Germany!

I have found out that this screens are horrible when you play 3D games! They somehow disable the nice Anti Aliasing graphics Feature on ALL games, wich normaly eliminate the broken and ugly looking Edges of Polygon 3D Objects. This faulty screens make the games look flickering and unsoft, its really a pain for the eyes!

Check this out by comparing

looks like its a global problem

sonicblue83

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
I also got affected by the interlacing problem. This is what happened:

My first iPhone 5S had a serial number that started with C39 and had a perfect screen, no interlacing and flickering at all (I knew where to look at since I had a iPhone 5 with interlaced screen before). After some weeks the glue on the display glass was bad, so the glass moved and I had to go for a repair. Since they can't repair any display defects on the iPhone 5S (thanks to TouchID) they offered me a replacement. The replacement I received had a serial number that started with DNP and had the worst display I have seen in the last few years. The lines were visible everywhere and all the time, which caused me headache and dizziness if I looked at the display for some minutes. I tried the test image and it flickered like hell. So I went back to the Apple Store for a new replacement. Luckily the Genius saw the lines as well and agreed instantly that this should not be. So he switched the iPhone again and my new model had a serial number that started with F2L. It had a slightly better screen than the DNP model but the lines were still visible to me and the test image still flickered. The genius offered me again to replace the iPhone as he still agreed that the display isn't as it should be. I insisted to get a replacement that starts with C again, since my first iPhone was the only one with a good screen. The genius then brought me a replacement with a serial that starts with C39 and tataaaa I finally got an iPhone with a perfect screen again (no visible interlacing lines and no flickering with the test image)!

I checked almost every iPhone 5S and also 5C in my local Apple Store (I tried like 20 phones and also 2 personal phones of 2 geniuses) and ALL of them had the interlaced lines and flickering! Also interesting was that all of these phones had serial numbers that started with F or D, there was no one with a C serial number.

The genius was really surprised that almost every screen got this issue and he agreed that there must be a serious quality issue with the new iPhone screens. He promised me he will report this internally to Apple/his bosses but couldn't tell me what/if Apple will do about this in the future.

So far I'm happy I got a good screen again and I was really happy with the genius since he took my problem with the iPhone seriously since the beginning and tried everything to find a solution. But on the other hand I'm really disappointed with Apple. I payed a lot for this phone (I bought it without contract) and for that price I expect a far better quality.

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
For once nothing is wrong with my iPhone 5S. The lines are not showing anything but perfect, straight lines. And now I'm keep enjoying my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.