Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook received a lifetime achievement award from his alma mater Auburn University at a New York event on Tuesday, with a video of the speech surfacing on the college's YouTube channel today (via AllThingsD).

Throughout his remarks, Cook highlighted his overall support for the progression of human equality in the United States and throughout the world. The CEO cited a section from the United Nations preamble emphasizing equality, and talked about finding a company in Apple that "deeply believed in advancing humanity through its products and through the equality of all of its employees."

Now, much has changed since my early days at Apple, but these values, which are the very heart of our company, remain the same. These values guide us to make our products accessible for everyone...people with disabilities often find themselves in a struggle to have their human dignity acknowledged; they're frequently left in the shadows of technological advancements that are a source of empowerment and attainment for others. But Apple's engineers pushed back against this unacceptable reality; they go to extraordinary lengths to make our products accessible to people with various disabilities from blindness and deafness, to various muscular disorders.
Cook also discussed his and Apple's support for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which the CEO also championed in an op-ed written for The Wall Street Journal last month:
These values have also recently guided us to support legislation that demands equality and non-discrimination for all employees, regardless of how they love. This legislation, known as the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. I have long believed in this, and Apple has implemented protections for employees, even when the laws did not. Now is the time to write these principles of basic human dignity into the book of law.
Cook originally graduated from Auburn University in 1982 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering. He then joined Apple in 1998, and was named CEO of the company on August 24, 2011 after late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs resigned from the position.

Note: Due to the potentially controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Expresses Thoughts on Equality in Auburn University Award Speech

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
"...advancing humanity". Haha. God bless America™. He works for a company that makes computers...

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
"...advancing humanity". Haha. God bless America™. He works for a company that makes computers...

True. You know, Apple isn't in most recent general history textbooks. A "dent in the universe" indeed. Still one of the greatest computer companies in history, but it's a computer company.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
True. You know, Apple isn't in most recent general history textbooks. A "dent in the universe" indeed. Still one of the greatest computer companies in history, but it's a computer company.
Yes, that's my point. An amazing company. But it does what it does, and the fanboys can blow it out of proportion as much as they want. But it is what it is. Sorry.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
In the places still needing charity, no it hasn't. You think an African child dying from lack of water needs a MacBook Pro?

Of course not, they need water. And technology has helped there enormously, both directly in producing better pumps and in finding hidden reservoirs, but also in making people in he developed world aware of the problems and inciting them to help financially.

I understand that's not what you were trying to argue, and I agree that, notwithstanding the education programmes that exist based around iPads in some developing parts of the world, Apple technology does not tend to assist directly those who are starving or dying of thirst. But to argue in general terms that technology per se hasn't helped the developing world is wrong.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple having equality for its employees is good, but it's also a bit like a university that has a cherished honor code. Neither is difficult to implement, neither has much influence outside the institution, and both are self-engrandizing. Of course a university can create an enclaved system without relativism and in which rules can be black and white. It's blindly conceited though, as no one can exist in this world with 100% purity or honor. The very money the school takes isn't snowy white. It's the same with Apple. Most of the people who work for Apple are not employed by Apple. So to say that Apple has equality for its employees isn't even saying much. They have good values in place that benefit people who are already extremely fortunate and in the highest echelons among the world. And just as the honor code example exists within an enclave, Apple cannot maintain this purity when it works with the outside world. It works in a cut-throat business world and works with brutal governments around the world. Yes, everything is fair and equal for Apple employees. That's not hard to do.

I'd be more interested if he didn't say something so predictable. Income inequality is a greater issue than non-discrimination policies are for wealthy engineers. It's not that you should wait to do the latter before fixing the former. It's that fixing the latter is easy, and already done at Apple. It should make Apple a more competitive company against its competitors.

I'm sure he has personal reasons for his convictions and I do for mine as well. I have every reason to believe I was fired as an Apple contractor because of a disability I have. Because I was a contractor and not employee, Apple did not have to pay minimum wage, did not pay its share of Social Security tax, I had to pay for my own training (which came from Apple), etc. Apple treated me in every respect as an employee, and it made damn sure that its customers were under the impression I was an employee. I would have lost my job to say otherwise. Apple could fire me without giving a stated reason. There is no law in my state that an employer must give a reason for termination, and Apple didn't give one.

So, how would an employee of Apple's ever even know if they were fired for being gay? I called every number I could find at Apple to try to find out why I was fired. And I finally reached the person who knew. I introduced myself and his reply was, "I am not at liberty to discuss that information." He hung up the phone before I could respond.

Apple is a company that does what it wants to do. If part of that is having a certain culture of equanimity within its corporate employees, then it does that. But Apple fights being beholden to the spirit of the law and to the law at all. You see this with its financial practices, including Steve Jobs backdating stock options or funneling its money through Ireland.

Again, it's not that I disagree with Tim Cook. It's that he thinks he's done something great when he hasn't, or that he at the least wants other people to think so.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In the places still needing charity, no it hasn't. You think an African child dying from lack of water needs a MacBook Pro?

Mobile phones are the most important technological tool in poor areas in Africa. Imagine being able to use a phone to find out where water is available. Most important, mobile phones are used to find out the conditions on markets, whether goods are available for sale, or are required.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Mobile phones are the most important technological tool in poor areas in Africa. Imagine being able to use a phone to find out where water is available. Most important, mobile phones are used to find out the conditions on markets, whether goods are available for sale, or are required.

First, you need to set up a working mobile phone network. I doubt there's any reception in the middle of the savanna.

And don't forget electricity for charging.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Is there a way we can donate to those suffering from logical fallacies in Japan?

Text STRAW MAN to 90999

I'm a big fan of Tim Cook. As a corporation-hating liberal I have to say I'm not afraid of Apple and I'm glad he's in charge. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I liked it better when Jobs, for the most part, didn't get involved in politics. Sorry Tim but I don't need to have compassion or provide equality to people who come to hew illegally, get government services but don't pay taxes, and bring crime and drugs with them. I'm all for reasonable legal immigration once a fence is built, we stop providing incentives for people to cross the border illegally and Mexico gets its house in order.

----------

As Bill Gates said last month:
“The world is not flat and PCs are not, in the hierarchy of human needs, in the first five rungs.”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/dacd1f84-41bf-11e3-b064-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2jOv8ZdDW

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I liked it better when Jobs, for the most part, didn't get involved in politics. Sorry Tim but I don't need to have compassion or provide equality to people who come to hew illegally, get government services but don't pay taxes, and bring crime and drugs with them. I'm all for reasonable legal immigration once a fence is built, we stop providing incentives for people to cross the border illegally and Mexico gets its house in order.

Then, ask your government to fix their damn country first. If there are illegals in the USA, it is because a lot of people hire them.
It is the most hypocritical thing I have heard in a while!
Why do you think illegal immigration is not an issue here in Canada? it is much more difficult to find someone who will hire you without papers.
Fix you country first, and you won't even need a fence.
Bigotry and ignorance are closely related.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Tim Cook the bean counter is so full of BS, he doesn't care about any of that non-discrimination stuff except to the extent that is raises the monetary value of Apple's brand and reputation. Apple isn't in business to lead social movements, it's in business to make money, just like everyone else.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Yes, because technology has never helped to advance humanity. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if Apple's gadgets qualify as technology that "advances humanity", unless you believe that a device built for listening to mp3 files is in the same league as a lunar exploration module, gene splicing or computed tomography.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I liked it better when Jobs, for the most part, didn't get involved in politics. Sorry Tim but I don't need to have compassion or provide equality to people who come to hew illegally, get government services but don't pay taxes, and bring crime and drugs with them. I'm all for reasonable legal immigration once a fence is built, we stop providing incentives for people to cross the border illegally and Mexico gets its house in order.[COLOR="#808080][/QUOTE]

Unlike Jobs, Cook is actually human with real emotions. Jobs was a great visionary and made Apple what it its today. But I'm sure we can all agree that he was an ***hole. He lived in his own world and didn't give a damn about anyone. Tim Cook is using his corporate power in subtle ways and it shows that he actually cares about people. And if you have problems with illegal immigration then tell government to fix it. Tim Cook can't fix it. The best he can do is encourage equality. His powers are limited in that sense.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

[/COLOR]
Tim Cook the bean counter is so full of BS, he doesn't care about any of that non-discrimination stuff except to the extent that is raises the monetary value of Apple's brand and reputation. Apple isn't in business to lead social movements, it's in business to make money, just like everyone else.

True! I just don't know what they're are going to do with all their cash. I don't think they know either.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Unlike Jobs, Cook is actually human with real emotions. Jobs was a great visionary and made Apple what it its today. But I'm sure we can all agree that he was an ***hole...

Jobs was the head of a computer company and knew it. His mission was to strengthen Apple and drive all its visions. How this new guy twisted that mission to serving selective political agendas is beyond this simple Apple user. I presume it's part of their marketing ploy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.