Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi

I had an iPhone 5 that didn't show up in my iTunes when it was connected to the same WiFi network as my MacBook. Now I have bought an iPhone 5s and iPad mini retina, on both devices I restored a backup from my iPhone 5.
The iPad mini shows up everytime syncs and backs up over the air, the iPhone 5s doesn't.
This is probably already asked several times, but I'd still like some assistance.
All my devices are running on the latest OS, Sync over WiFi is turned on, again on both devices.

Thanks in advance and god bless

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, my iPhone 5 just wouldn't show up over wifi in iTunes.

I called AppleCare and they made me do a few things and in all honesty I can't recall which of the steps did the trick but here's what we did, not in any particular order:

* Reset my Mac's wifi connection (i.e. delete connection and start over adding it)
* Disabled then re-enabled Wifi on the Mac
* Did the above steps on my iPhone
* Plugged my iPhone using USB to my Mac and launched iTunes and disabled then re-enabled wifi sync

It then started showing up and never had any problem after that. Good luck.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done, it's a known issue. It's one reason I still sync with the USB cable (the other is I can't pull photos and videos from my Camera Roll and I find PhotoStream too cumbersome)

When the issue did pop up for me, I restarted my Mac and the wifi sync was fixed.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, my iPhone 5 just wouldn't show up over wifi in iTunes.

I called AppleCare and they made me do a few things and in all honesty I can't recall which of the steps did the trick but here's what we did, not in any particular order:

* Reset my Mac's wifi connection (i.e. delete connection and start over adding it)
* Disabled then re-enabled Wifi on the Mac
* Did the above steps on my iPhone
* Plugged my iPhone using USB to my Mac and launched iTunes and disabled then re-enabled wifi sync

It then started showing up and never had any problem after that. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply! By deleting, do you mean 'Forget this network'?

Last edited by a moderator:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4S. What worked for me was to connect the iPhone to my computer via the USB cable, then Uncheck and re-Check the little box on the Summary pane of iTunes that says "Sync this iPhone Wirelessly" or words to that effect. Then tap the Sync button on iTunes, let the phone Sync, then disconnect your phone from the USB cable.

I think what this procedure does is essentially reestablish with the computer that the iPhone will be syncing wirelessly.

Hope this helps.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Thank you for your Replay! By deleting, do you mean 'Forget thuis network'?

Yeah on the iPhone it's Forget this network, on the Mac it was through system preferences > Network then delete (minus) your saved wifi connection.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Yeah on the iPhone it's Forget this network, on the Mac it was through system preferences > Network then delete (minus) your saved wifi connection.

reply* autocorrect :)
Thanks for the input! Did all those things, but not in the order you gave me, so I'll try it again because my random tries didn't help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.