Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feldman26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Can anyone tell me which is worth my time for games that can only be run on windows (i.e. Skyrim)? Also, does VMware really cut down on performance? Any help appreciated.

13" Retina MBP
2.6 gHz dual core i5
8GB Ram

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
All forms of virtualization reduce performance. Use Boot Camp to play any game released in the last 5 years.
Simply not true.
Bootcamp is certainly better, but I have played Skyrim, F1 2012, Deus Ex and others perfectly OK in Parallels @ 2560x1440 on my Mac.
The performance hit is acceptable compared to coming out of OS X and booting into Bootcamp.
Nothing is worth that, IMHO!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The performance hit is acceptable compared to coming out of OS X and booting into Bootcamp.

Not maximizing your system's gaming potential out of spite is not what I would call acceptable, but whatever floats your boat.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Not maximizing your system's gaming potential out of spite is not what I would call acceptable, but whatever floats your boat.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! Spite!?!
I don't like to use Bootcamp as it doesn't give me access to all my other applications - simple as that. With Parallels, I can simply tab out of it, and access Mail, Safari, office type tasks, iMessage, ................. I could go on.
I am happy to have a performance hit of a few fps, in order to retain my workflow. You suggested that it was more or less essential to use Bootcamp for games released within the last 5 years, I replied saying that was not true, which it isn't!
Spite? Schmite!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I tried Parallels and found it sort of OK, but soon realised that Bootcamp is the better option for running windows games, and that is all I use it for.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
There's is always the intermediate solution of using Wineskin / Barrel to run it in a wine wrapper. Sometimes, this proves to be the best solution (most of the times faster than a VM, don't have to leave OS X and reboot to windows like bootcamp).

As long as the said game runs on it.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
There's is always the intermediate solution of using Wineskin / Barrel to run it in a wine wrapper. Sometimes, this proves to be the best solution (most of the times faster than a VM, don't have to leave OS X and reboot to windows like bootcamp).

As long as the said game runs on it.
Yep, I recently played (Steam) Tomb Raider 2013 in a Wine wrapper. Apart from a couple of little menu glitches, it ran perfectly all the way through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.