Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the holidays approach, Apple's Retina iPad mini supplies have begun to improve, alleviating the supply constraints the product has faced since its quiet November 12 launch.

In the Online Apple Store, Retina iPad mini shipping estimates for all models and capacities, including cellular models, have decreased to 1 to 3 days in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Asia Pacific. The Retina iPad mini continues to ship within 3 to 5 days in European countries.

shippingestimates1.jpg
The new shipping estimates are a significant improvement from shipping estimates in late November, which slipped to 5 to 10 days for multiple weeks before improving to 3 to 5 days earlier this week.

Issues with display yields were reportedly behind Apple's supply shortages, and as a result of the constrained supplies, Apple launched the Retina iPad mini in the middle of the night, offering the tablet solely via its online store and through Personal Pickup. It wasn't until 10 days after launch that Apple began allowing walk-in sales of the Retina mini. Cellular models have been the most constrained, with multiple carriers experiencing back orders on cellular Retina iPad minis in November.

Just a few weeks ago, a report suggested Apple had solved its production problems, allowing it to build up some supplies for the holiday shopping season. Along with shorter shipping estimates, in-store supplies of the Retina iPad mini appear to have improved slightly as well, with several colors and capacities available for immediate pickup in quite a few Apple Stores around the country.

According to an unofficial web tracker, supplies of the 16 and 32 GB Wi-Fi models are widely available, while the larger 64 and 128 GB Retina iPad minis and all cellular minis remain in shorter supply.

Apple's holiday shipping guidelines now suggest that U.S. customers order the non-engraved Retina iPad mini by December 16 for a December 24 delivery with standard shipping.

(Thanks, Leonard!)

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Shipping Estimates Improve to 1 to 3 Days in Multiple Countries Ahead of the Holidays

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Stop the whining, the U.S gets the short end of the stick most of the time. 9 times out of 10 the U.S. is the last to get a hold of any great innovative tech when the companies originate outside the U.S.

Can you back that up with any evidence? The US always gets Apple stuff first and AFAIK Apple has never held a keynote outside the US. You got the PS4 and XBox before anyone else. Every time I search for some innovative new software or add on for the iPhone it's always available in the US long before the rest of us get it. You get to see the latest tech at CES and E3. I think the days when the US was last on the list because you only buy on price are long gone, especially since the Japanese tech companies started to struggle with the ailing Japanese economy and had to look towards the rest of the world earlier.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
.......when the companies originate outside the U.S.

Most serious tech companies are either based in the US (Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon, Google......) or Asia (Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC.........).

What does Europe have? Nokia? :D:D:D:D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can you back that up with any evidence? The US always gets Apple stuff first and AFAIK Apple has never held a keynote outside the US. You got the PS4 and XBox before anyone else. Every time I search for some innovative new software or add on for the iPhone it's always available in the US long before the rest of us get it. You get to see the latest tech at CES and E3. I think the days when the US was last on the list because you only buy on price are long gone, especially since the Japanese tech companies started to struggle with the ailing Japanese economy and had to look towards the rest of the world earlier.

Well, it used to be that the US was the first to get the latest iPhones. Now Australia, China, and Europe get the iPhones at the same time (meaning actually a few hours before we do).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Are you having trouble reading? Guess so. I did say the U.S. is the last to get innovative tech when the company originates outside the U.S. Did Apple and Microsoft suddenly change their place of origin? Last I checked Apple and Microsoft both originated in the United States and to this day their main headquarters are still in the U.S.

I don't need to prove anything to you, it's relatively common knowledge that the U.S. gets the most innovative tech last from companies that do not either reside in the U.S or did not originate in the U.S. Anyone who disagrees with that is in the minority alongside with you. Don't get upset because two of the largest tech giants are now putting out popular tech. Before Apple and Microsoft put out anything that became super popular it was always Sony or any Japanese company and more times than not certain products from these companies remained exclusive and were never brought to the U.S so once again, quit whining.

And give me a break about CES, that's nothing but a vaporware show.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Most serious tech companies are either based in the US (Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Amazon, Google......) or Asia (Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC.........).

Uh, we are talking about tech companies that put out hardware tech products. Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo don't count. Google is limited to an OS and a few portable tech products and Amazon makes a Kindle. Microsoft's major hardware product is the XBOX. Before that all they offered was Windows and Office and everybody got that. Before the iPod Apple wasn't considered a major force to be reckoned with, at that time it was all Japan-based and German companies that put out products and only certain pieces ever made it to the U.S.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
just in time for xmas....

So this is why they have events early, because Apple KNOWS it will take a few weeks/months before shipping is down to 1-3 days..

That's smart of them.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Uh, we are talking about tech companies that put out hardware tech products. Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo don't count. Google is limited to an OS and a few portable tech products and Amazon makes a Kindle. Microsoft's major hardware product is the XBOX. Before that all they offered was Windows and Office and everybody got that. Before the iPod Apple wasn't considered a major force to be reckoned with, at that time it was all Japan-based and German companies that put out products and only certain pieces ever made it to the U.S.

And your point is......?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Except no Mac Pro yet.

Yeah, but the Mac Pro is not really a "holiday season" type of product, I guess.

----------

Sure, but these companies pay all their taxes through Europe, so guess who the joke is on? :D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Are you having trouble reading? Guess so. I did say the U.S. is the last to get innovative tech when the company originates outside the U.S. Did Apple and Microsoft suddenly change their place of origin? Last I checked Apple and Microsoft both originated in the United States and to this day their main headquarters are still in the U.S.

I don't need to prove anything to you, it's relatively common knowledge that the U.S. gets the most innovative tech last from companies that do not either reside in the U.S or did not originate in the U.S. Anyone who disagrees with that is in the minority alongside with you. Don't get upset because two of the largest tech giants are now putting out popular tech. Before Apple and Microsoft put out anything that became super popular it was always Sony or any Japanese company and more times than not certain products from these companies remained exclusive and were never brought to the U.S so once again, quit whining.

And give me a break about CES, that's nothing but a vaporware show.

Oh I see I didn't realise that Sony was now classed as a US company. That must be the reason you got the PS4 before anyone else - including the Japanese who have to wait until next year to get it.

I think you're the one whining on about how hard done by you are living in the world's most prosperous country. You really must have it hard living in the US. Presumably the fact that you pay less than just about anyone else in the world for your tech products (including Apple products) doesn't factor into your thinking.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Amazing - $300 for $50 worth of storage upgrade. You can almost buy a second mini for that upgrade. How does apple get away with that?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
And your point is......?

My point is apparently you have issues with reading comprehension.

----------

Oh I see I didn't realise that Sony was now classed as a US company. That must be the reason you got the PS4 before anyone else - including the Japanese who have to wait until next year to get it.

I think you're the one whining on about how hard done by you are living in the world's most prosperous country. You really must have it hard living in the US. Presumably the fact that you pay less than just about anyone else in the world for your tech products (including Apple products) doesn't factor into your thinking.

Yada yada yada. That's all you guys that don't live the U.S. do is whine and complain about what you don't get when Apple releases something to the U.S. first. Post after post saying...."The UK is left out in the cold once again" Let it go and stop stomping your feet.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
My point is apparently you have issues with reading comprehension.

If you'd actually read you comment, you'd realize that it makes no sense. I think someone has writing problems. That paragraph seriously makes no sense.

It also shows how limited your world view is. Yes, Japan was a major player back then, but products still came to the US first. Even if you don't believe it, it's how it was. And I think you should stop living in the past and realize that the US gets most technology in the first wave of a rollout. I honestly don't know what you're bitching about at all.

Last edited:

chaiitao

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Any news regarding Its Display Color Gamut and Accuracy ?

Any news regarding Its Display Color Gamut and Accuracy ?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
So what happened to all the tech bloggers and analysts who breathlessly exclaimed that there would be no retina mini's to be had for the holidays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.