Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late Thursday night, singer Beyoncé released a new album exclusively on iTunes, with significant promotion both on the iTunes Store and across social media.

In a press release today, Apple said the album is the fastest selling ever on the iTunes Store, moving 828,773 units worldwide in its first three days of availability. The album sold 617,213 copies in the U.S., and went to number one on the iTunes chart in 104 countries.

beyoncebig.png
The self-titled, BEYONCÉ, is the fifth solo studio album from Beyoncé, which was made available exclusively worldwide on the iTunes Store on December 13 by Parkwood Entertainment/Columbia Records. The self-titled set is the artist's first visual album. BEYONCÉ is infused with 14 new songs and 17 visually stunning, provocative videos shot around the world from Houston to New York City to Paris, and Sydney to Rio de Janeiro, all before the album's release. The album represents Beyoncé's biggest sales week ever.

The iTunes Store is the world's most popular music store with a catalog of over 26 million songs and is available in 119 countries. The iTunes Store is the best way for iPhone®, iPad®, iPod®, Mac® and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music online. All music on the iTunes Store comes in iTunes Plus®, Apple's DRM-free format with high-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings.
The album is currently featured in every slot on the promotion carousel at the top of the iTunes Store. It is dubbed a "visual album" because each song has an accompanying music video.

Article Link: iTunes-Exclusive Beyonce Album Breaks Records With 828,773 Copies Sold in 3 Days

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is good for both the artist and itunes.
Quite a bold move by beyonce releasing it itunes exclusives,
this definitely strengthen itunes position in the music industry.

stark93

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Really wish I could just buy like the 3 songs I like instead of the entire album...

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
This is proof that quality and popularity are two very different things.

This is true: Quality is subjective. Popularity is objective.

Also, did you even listen to the album or are you just posting for the sake of saying something snarky?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
She might end up selling a million albums in a week, that doesn't happen much any more, and that's all on iTunes. No wonder they were wiling to give her all the promotional slots.

I'm not a fan of her music, but I have to give her credit, a release this big is very impressive not to mention having a video for every song at the time of release. It can't have been cheap but obviously it paid off.

And they managed to keep the whole thing secret until release, that might be most impressive of all.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Not a beyonce fan, but...

Ok so I know a couple of songs of hers, bud DAMN, Lady Gaga must be crying her eyes out now. The only way she sold close to that number was when her Born This Way album was sold for a $1, more recently, she went all out promoting her new album and it still did not do even one third of this number.

Her music isn't exactly my taste, but hey, kudos to her, she's hardworking.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
She might end up selling a million albums in a week, that doesn't happen much any more, and that's all on iTunes. No wonder they were wiling to give her all the promotional slots.

I'm not a fan of her music, but I have to give her credit, a release this big is very impressive not to mention having a video for every song at the time of release. It can't have been cheap but obviously it paid off.

And they managed to keep the whole thing secret until release, that might be most impressive of all.

If Apple keeps 30% she has made about $9.8 Million already.
I wish I had that kind of iTunes store revenue. :)

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
nope ...

"All music on the iTunes Store comes in iTunes Plus®, Apple’s DRM-free format with high-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings."

Virtually?

No thanks. If you can't even match CD quality (44.1 16 bit PCM) then I'll keep my money.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
This is proof that quality and popularity are two very different things.

I have not listened to it yet, mainly because I have never really been all that into Beyonce, but from all of my entertainment friends, dancers, DJs, etc, it appears that this album is VERY good. Again, I have not personally listened to it, but there has been no negative on it.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I still don't know who this "Bee-yonce" character is, but I'm glad Apple is happy with her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.