Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
External HDD Issues?

Interestingly, no one here has commented about the problems Mavericks has with external drives (including card readers). The web is awash with complaints about that and it seems far more critical than email glitches given that Apple is steering everyone to external storage options with the upcoming nMP.

Ever since installing Mavericks my early 2008 Mac Pro goes nuts if I try doing anything involving an external drive (i.e. setting up a new Aperture vault, loading photos from a USB card reader).

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Anyone else have Filevault enabled, and are you seeing really slow boot times for the initial Password screen to show up?

EDIT: Ok, on both my machines, one w/o filevault, seems the update deselected the startup disk. It's still slow on the filevault machine, but not as bad.

-Kevin

I have not restarted yet, but will check it later and get back at you. So far so good!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Absolutely no fix for my Apple Mail woes. Messages via Gmail come into the Inbox, appear for a second, then disappear and go straight to the Archive folder. I can't get anything to stay in my Inbox at all. Everything is labeled as Archive! :mad:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Doesn't fix the sideways-up scrolling bug on my MacBook Air. e.g. if you quickly flick up on the trackpad on Safari with a right to left motion to start, after it's finished scrolling it jumps right back to the top again.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My update installed, restarted and didn't ask for my password at boot time, file vault2 (Whole disk encryption) on, also went straight to my user picture in the login screen instead of showing all Users, this seems to be new, how convenient, it remembers who was logged in when installing this update, can't remember seeing this on the last 10.9.1 beta.

Finder was already much better in that last beta too, haven't looked around yet if it is even better now, just installed it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
How did you read it as that?

...how about things like "Quick Look" being quick? and how about quick look not being a very quick way to find out which file formats the Finder can no longer read.

A fix for Quicklook wouldn't come on a .1 update. Those more major issues are saved for later usually. I know this .1 is a bit later than usual though.

Rogi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
I've been having an issue with my 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Late 2013). I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having a similar issue.

Issue: OS X 10.9 not prompting for password upon opening the lid after sleep. It only happens about 1 in 5 times that I open the lid.
Steps to replicate: Close lid. Let MacBook Pro sleep. Open lid. No password prompt.
Failed attempts to fix: Formatted HD using external Mavericks boot USB. Reinstalled fresh copy of 10.9. Restored from Time Machine. Toggling all possible "Require password X seconds after sleep" setting and toggling feature on and off completely.

My MBA 2013 is asking for password immediately, after opening. Even with delay 4h. Bug since 10.9.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Weird. If I reboot from a logged in user, I get a login screen the same as the user was still logged in, the same screen as if you had to enter your password after the screensaver starts. Logout and reboot I get the normal login screen where I can enter a username.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
My verdict:

-Time Machine's various UI issues has yet to be fixed (see this thread) (filed a bug report on those issues, was told they was being investigated)
-Migration Assistant's UI still has those weird, half-grown checkboxes (image) has yet to be fixed (also filed a bug report on this)
-QuickLook still seems slow and sluggish

Otherwise, not much has seemingly been updated/fixed. If this is the 10.9.1 we were waiting for over a month, then this is disappointing.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
No Unread count in Mail Dock icon

Still no unread count showing up in my Mail dock icon. I'm seriously considering dumping Mail and going with Airmail.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I don't think my Mac rebooted after the 10.9.1 update. I wasn't watching it closely when it was updating. But I looked at it a little later and I saw my screen saver password prompt. Unlocked it and my About Mac said it is 10.9.1. But I know it didn't reboot because I wasn't given the FV2 password sceen and one of my apps clearly hadn't restarted like it does when the system reboots. Clearly Mail restarted because it complained about my IMAP server certificate like it always does when it restarts and opens a new connection.

Don't know if the non-reboot was intentional or not.

And to answer one previous question, my FV2 password prompt came up 4 seconds after hearing the restart sound. No long wait for me there. I have a first-gen 13" rMBP.

Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I don't think my Mac rebooted after the 10.9.1 update. I wasn't watching it closely when it was updating. But I looked at it a little later and I saw my screen saver password prompt. Unlocked it and my About Mac said it is 10.9.1. But I know it didn't reboot because I wasn't given the FV2 password sceen and one of my apps clearly hadn't restarted like it does when the system reboots. Clearly Mail restarted because it complained about my IMAP server certificate like it always does when it restarts and opens a new connection.

Don't know if the non-reboot was intentional or not.

And to answer one previous question, my FV2 password prompt came up 4 seconds after hearing the restart sound. No long wait for me there. I have a first-gen 13" rMBP.

It rebooted for me but didn't ask for the password to login. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.