Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
I'd like to move my boot SSD from the optical bay to a PCIe slot with an Apricorn Velocity or Sonnet Tempo but, as I understand it, the drive will show up as removable. Is there a way around this? I use Alfred to quickly eject disk images, etc. and I'm afraid of typing too fast and accidentally ejecting my boot disk. Can I flag it or change it's type to a non-removable drive?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Are you booting from it? I boot from my SSD on my Velocity and it's not ejectable when you boot from it. If it's just a Data SSD then yes, it'll probably be ejectable.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Just to add info - the Rocket 640L sets all drives on it as removable - it is something to do with the way that hot-swappable drives are configured. There is currently no firmware option to change this behaviour on the Rocket card.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Had the same issue with my SSD in the solo x2. Nowhere to set it as fixed, It won't eject the boot drive anyway if you accidentally press the eject icon. Though I managed to change the orange icons back to grey fixed ones so they don't 'look' removable. I will have to dig out the post/link from I have saved from my Mac Pro tomorrow unless someone else obliges as my kids are all in bed!

riggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks~ Good to know I likely won't eject my boot drive accidentally. I remember there being a -notremovable flag or some thing a few versions back that would mount drive like they were fixed disks, but I don't know if it still works or is advisable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.