Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I am so tired of all these subscription-based channels and this one honestly takes the cake for being the most retarded. Who is really going to pay 10 pounds a day to watch some sports that you can watch for free in pubs? Honestly, we need to boycott and put out of business all these services that charge us. In this day and age people want **** for free, especially since we have 59 minutes of ads for ever 1 hour show.
So when you go to the pub to watch football, you don't buy a pint?

I could see this being useful for the occasional football match —*£10, plus another £15 for a case of beer, and that's you and mates sorted for £25 all in.

But as with anything, ultimately the answer is for you to not take things personally by getting agitated by these things. If you don't feel as though it's a good deal, or you don't want it, then don't give them any money. There's really no need to go on about inciting a boycott, which you will anyway never do —*if this offer at this price point appeals to enough people, then they'll turn a profit; if not then the product will die.

Reactions: GreginNJ

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
You do realise that that's not the intention of a Day Pass?
Simple maths tell you that if it's £19.98 per weekend, then sign up to Sky for it. They've cut their losses with Now TV in a very clever way, unfortunately it just doesn't appeal to you.

It appeals to 100,000's of others.

I don't know about 100,000s, but I'm sure there's some market for it. I can imagine doing it if Murray was I'm the US Open Semis/Final, for example.

As said, get BBC iPlayer and ITV/C4/C5 catchup on UK boxes and you'll be onto a winner.

jlkinsel

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
Please bring this to the US

As others have said, would love to be able to pay for F1 races. Double the price, I'd still happily pay Sky instead of paying Comcast...

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yep, for 3-5 I could buy a pass for myself on a whim. But at 10, I'd feel like I need some other people with me to justify it.

That's exactly it.

Or as someone else said, a £10 monthly pass on Apple TV or Freeview etc would be fine by me too.

I basically only want to watch Liverpool matches and some of the other big ones (Man City v Arsenal for example). I used to have Sky Sports on my iPhone, actually.

I don't want 6 channels or 24 hours of other filler. But I appreciate that there are rights to consider.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Has anyone actually tried it yet? What's the picture quality like? I assume it's not in HD, but if I watch a sporting event I'd want the picture to be clear so I can the player/ball/car clearly...

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I detest Sky and will never give them another penny for the remainder of my time on earth.

Absolutely screwed us when we were having an installation done. Disgraceful company.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I like all the apps but being in the UK doesn't allow me to use the American apps etc.

I've used the you tube tutorial for changing DNS and using the american netflix which is great but the DNS setting doesn't trick the ABC and other apps into thinking I'm in America for some reason?

is there another way to use the american apps? unfortunately you can't set up a VPN on the apple tv.

nol2001

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
UK
I have bought the 'day pass' for some matches on iPad and I'm really glad it's now available on Apple TV. Hopefully it will get BT Sport app next too.

I don't think £10 to watch one Premier League match is that bad as the tickets cost a lot more (as does having a Sky subscription). I think around 2003 the pay per view games on Sky used to cost £10 a time and I bought them then.

I think it should be HD though but I bet it's not.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Bring this to the US so I can finally stop pirating F1 races. I'd gladly pay $10/race versus $120/month for cable. Heck, just bring Sky Sports F1 to the US and get rid of NBCSN.

UnoTelly.com will sort you out if you want to use this outside the uk

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they need to finally get Sky Go and Sky Snap for Germany :mad:
i have it on my dusty xbox 360 but im not paying for a gold membership just to use ANOTHER paid service

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
I basically only want to watch Liverpool matches and some of the other big ones (Man City v Arsenal for example). I used to have Sky Sports on my iPhone, actually.

I don't want 6 channels or 24 hours of other filler. But I appreciate that there are rights to consider.

I think, in a bid to extract ever more money out of people, Premiership football and sports rights as a whole will go the way of NFL in the USA.

With NFL 'Rewind' (and Gamepass outside of the USA) It's possible to buy a package to 'Follow your team', and get all the games involving one team. You can also pay more to view other games.

I forsee packages available for all the teams regularly in the top half of the english premiership; with certain big games as ppv only if they're not in 'your' package.

Similar packages could be offered for other sports. I watch a fair bit of rugby but casually 'support' Harlequins. If things became pricy, I'd probably opt to just watch their games, so I'd follow them through their journey over a season.

as for F1 - expect the British GP to be free to view; with other races part of a package.

The days of 'channels' for multiple sports are nearly over. 'Sky Sports F1' is the start of this.

springerj

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Portland, OR
Bbc

Boy would I love to be able to get the BBC here in the US. I'd gladly pay the TV tax to be able to get it here. I've never understood why they don't expand availability. Seems like there would be lots of buyers.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Once it get's BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV player it will be worth buying.

Kind of hoped they'd also have NOW TV Movies as well.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I think, in a bid to extract ever more money out of people, Premiership football and sports rights as a whole will go the way of NFL in the USA.

With NFL 'Rewind' (and Gamepass outside of the USA) It's possible to buy a package to 'Follow your team', and get all the games involving one team. You can also pay more to view other games.

I forsee packages available for all the teams regularly in the top half of the english premiership; with certain big games as ppv only if they're not in 'your' package.

Similar packages could be offered for other sports. I watch a fair bit of rugby but casually 'support' Harlequins. If things became pricy, I'd probably opt to just watch their games, so I'd follow them through their journey over a season.

as for F1 - expect the British GP to be free to view; with other races part of a package.

The days of 'channels' for multiple sports are nearly over. 'Sky Sports F1' is the start of this.

Good post, cheers for that.

Didn't realise how the NFL works out there.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
How about bringing the NFL to the european Apple TV users without the need to mirror the iPad screen? I want a NFL channel on my Apple TV!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Boy would I love to be able to get the BBC here in the US. I'd gladly pay the TV tax to be able to get it here. I've never understood why they don't expand availability. Seems like there would be lots of buyers.

Because the costs of licensing the third party copyrights completely swamp even the most foolhardy revenue projections.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
How about bringing the NFL to the european Apple TV users without the need to mirror the iPad screen? I want a NFL channel on my Apple TV!

The main reason that no one has NFL on their TV is because the NFL is in love with exclusive partnerships. They gave DirectTV (a television sattelite company) exclusive rights to selling a package for all of the teams, all of the games. This means no one else can offer this package.

However, the exclusive deal is set to expire soon, and Apple was named as a potential buyer of the rights, to REALLY make a splash with Apple TV.
Can you imagine, the NFL season pass, only on Apple TV? They would sell a lot more then, and would be a nice splash to their updated and long rumored Apple TV.

That old story is here:
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/15/nfl-sunday-ticket-coming-to-new-apple-tv/

EDIT: I realized you're in Europe and the NFL broadcast rules are probably different there. Nonetheless, if it did come to Apple TV, they should allow it there too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.