Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
They are so excited they forgot to take the cellophane off the front of the new iMac in the picture.

Hopefully it doesn't burst into flames from overheating. :)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Is China Mobile affiliated with the Boys & Girls Club?

boys_and_girls_club_logo.jpg

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
An iPhone in every pocket. :)

The more people on iMessage, the better the communications, the more fun, the more work done, the more amazement spread, the more good images stored and accessed from Apple servers . . .

Gotta get those data centers built out. Maybe two or three in South America, three in Europe, four in central and east Asia, two in Africa. They're just practicing with their US centers right now, probably gathering together a gobal construction army as they go. They'll be spending ten billion a year on this.

Can't guess how they'll lay out the transmission infrastructure. I do wonder if their real-time Earth observatory images from space will be for Apple devices only.

And so on. Spyguy's point was fun, but not funny.

Last edited:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Apple overtaking Samsung is not going to happen. Of course, the iPhone 5s will certainly outsell the Galaxy S5 but that's nothing to boast about. Samsung is going to go all out to ruin Apple in China by shipping so many various models of smartphones it's going to make your head spin. Apple doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in getting within miles of Samsung sales. We'll just have to listen to Tim Cook glibly saying how Apple doesn't go after market share and that will be the end of that. Samsung does intend to go after market share and will own China Mobile by the middle of next year. Apple will again end up on Wall Street's sh*tlist and Apple shareholders will be thoroughly reamed. Pathetic.

I meant to say the Galaxy S4, not samsung as a whole. Sorry.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I think more will get done if you also ban meetings at work.

Those have been reduced dramatically too. But bttp, you would be surprised how faster they are running now. This whole falacy about phones getting us closer together... yea, it's great that you can text and Viber and Whatsapp with your buddies in the UK, but you are ignoring people sitting in the same room as you.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
The more people on iMessage, the better the communications, the more fun, the more work done, the more amazement spread, the more good images stored and accessed from Apple servers . . .

Gotta get those data centers built out. Maybe two or three in South America, three in Europe, four in central and east Asia, two in Africa. They're just practicing with their US centers right now, probably gathering together a gobal construction army as they go. They'll be spending ten billion a year on this.

Can't guess how they'll lay out the transmission infrastructure. I do wonder if their real-time Earth observatory images from space will be for Apple devices only.

And so on. Spyguy's point was fun, but not funny.

what drug r u on dude? must be good stuff :D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Most of Wall Street believes Apple will sell about a few million iPhones, tops, on China Mobile's network. That's out of China Mobile's 750 million subscribers. Apple is estimated to sell about measly 1% of iPhones out of China Mobile's entire user base.
Most of Wall Street is definately not lowballing estimates of iPhone sales on China Mobile. There are estimates from analysts in the 40 million range ... which I believe is ridiculous. Many estimates are in the 20-25 million range. A noted AAPL bear was trying to temper the enthusiasm, and his estimate was 17 million. Wall Street is estimating between 3 to 5% of CM's sub base is going iPhone.

snip

and when Apple does something that isn't going to make them profit, like hoard cash - instead of investing it or spending it, that's a problem.
Spending money isn't going to make Apple any profits ... I'm just nitpicking.

So you want Apple to do what's best for themselves but ALSO want them to do what's best for Wall Street. :rolleyes:

You almost made the exact case for why Apple should continue hording money: They'll eventually be able to go private and get that stupid wall street monkey off their back.

(I don't think that's likely, but it certainly would be a good reason for building up their bank account).
Apple can't use its cash hoard to take itself private. That cash is included in the stock price and belongs to the shareholders. Technically, Apple can't take itself private. It would take investors with lots of money (at least $500 billion) to buy out all shares of the company to take it private.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
As an apple shareholder, this makes me very, very happy.

As an apple fan, this also makes me happy - millions of people that wanted the iPhone can finally get one, legally! The more people that experience the iPhone, the better the world will be :)…..

Huh?

…..(and I'm not kidding, iPhones bring people closer, and connect our world in a way that nothing else can... it's amazing  )

Only iPhones? I mean I like my iPhone a lot, but are you saying those 'poor souls' owning Samsung, Nokia or LG phones are out of the loop, and are destined to suffer in solitude?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wow nobody showed up to the launch event!

That has to be the worst launch since the Verizon iPhone!

One Asian girl in line?!

Maybe it's because most people in China who wants the new iPhone has already bought one. A.k.a the hype is over.

Apple should've done the deal some time before 5S/C launched.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
So I'm confused.
Isn't there supposed to be a big release announcement?
Lines around the block?
All the big hoopla?

What's actually going on here? :confused:

Mechanic

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Apple overtaking Samsung is not going to happen. Of course, the iPhone 5s will certainly outsell the Galaxy S5 but that's nothing to boast about. Samsung is going to go all out to ruin Apple in China by shipping so many various models of smartphones it's going to make your head spin. Apple doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in getting within miles of Samsung sales. We'll just have to listen to Tim Cook glibly saying how Apple doesn't go after market share and that will be the end of that. Samsung does intend to go after market share and will own China Mobile by the middle of next year. Apple will again end up on Wall Street's sh*tlist and Apple shareholders will be thoroughly reamed. Pathetic.

Wow you really have the same line on all the apple sites you haunt.
Do you ever have anything good to say lol. Get over your stock and be happy.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
If you say "anyone who wants an iPhone 5S in China already has one," you will be proven wildly wrong very quickly.

China Mobile will cause a huge surge in Apple's profits, market share, and sales.

A lot of analysts and investors are not understanding 1) how many wealthy people there are in china, 2) how closely the chinese market like every market follows iPhone rumors/news, and 3) how big a status symbol is the Apple brand in China.

Those three factors are going to make a perfect storm.

Samsung already had its volley across Apple's bow, stealing market share and stock value. This is Apple's time to fire back in a big way.

And that is even before the new product category iWatch and also the highly anticipated iPhone 6 with a larger screen arrive in 2014.

Samsung can't offer a new phone that's radically different and better.

Apple can. The big screen iPhone 6 is a tremendous ace up Apple's sleeve. What other company can offer a new version of a best-selling product that will cause TONS of pple to upgrade immediately?

APPL got run down to 390. Now the YoYo goes up. I'm not saying it'll stay up forever... but 2014? It's the year of Apple.

rodrigoj

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
Santo Domingo
Guess you're right

Most of Wall Street believes Apple will sell about a few million iPhones, tops, on China Mobile's network. That's out of China Mobile's 750 million subscribers. Apple is estimated to sell about measly 1% of iPhones out of China Mobile's entire user base. Quite a bit of confidence in Apple... NOT! Apple is being majorly disrespected by Wall Street and there's no one from Apple willing to step up and tell them to go to hell. :mad:

Most analyst prefer to be "conservative" (err on the conservative side) and the truth is that we do not know how many will be sold. On the one hand CM has close to 100 millions potential iPhone buyers, and Apple provides the top brand, experience and quality, so a 33% penetration, or 33 million iPhones seems reasonable. However, some 10 millions already have an iPhone, so net increase may be in the order of 23 millions, or close to US$7 per share in profit contribution, or some $84 in stock appreciation.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Most analyst prefer to be "conservative" (err on the conservative side) and the truth is that we do not know how many will be sold. On the one hand CM has close to 100 millions potential iPhone buyers, and Apple provides the top brand, experience and quality, so a 33% penetration, or 33 million iPhones seems reasonable. However, some 10 millions already have an iPhone, so net increase may be in the order of 23 millions, or close to US$7 per share in profit contribution, or some $84 in stock appreciation.

heh heh, how do you get to the 100M potential buyers? China Mobile only has about 170M 3g users and a lot of the users already get the Hong Kong version of 5s/5c and get on CM 3G and 4G network as of today. US and Japan both have about 40% Iphone penetration and both has full subsidy model. China is a hybrid subsidy model that work much more like post paid model. Everyone pay the purchase price of the phone and the carrier will discount your future monthly bill base on the plan that you sign up. Alternatively you can buy your Iphone and get on the same carrier's cheaper data only plan or data + voice plan.

And CM is still having problem with Iphone voice return to 4G transition. CM network does not implement the CSFB fast return protocol. And in order for Iphone to make a call, it has to go down to 2g, after the call, take 20+ second going back to 3g, wait another 20+ seconds before getting back to 4G. And if 3G is not available in a particular area, user is screwed. The phone will never get back to 4g on it's own. User will have to flip the phone back and forth between airplane mode or power it down and then up to bring it up to 4g. All the phone that CM sell in the test cities now log in both 2g and 4g at the same time. I don't think CM will launch Iphone on 12/18, there is simply no movement in China that support the speculation. One week before Ipad air started to sell in China, there are plenty of unboxing photos in the China message board. So far there is no photo of CM logo Iphone 5s or 5c yet. And there is no subsidy plan information and not training for sales staff about how to handle different group of customers if they want to buy a China Mobile version of 5s/5c. Without device on the ground, how would CM launch the devices? Last year, when Apple launched Iphone 5, regional CM office bought a bunch of Hong Kong version of Iphone 5 and then resell them to their customers with some free minutes. We may very well be seeing the same scenario here.

And CM has not even show us what the subsidy plan is yet. So how do you figure that the penetration is so high. If CM is such a big hit, why would Tim Cook and company gave such a lousy fiscal 1Q14 guidance in term of revenue and margin? There is really nothing change between the time Tim Cook make the 1Q14 guidance in Oct and now...

This is the latest Shanghai China Mobile non subsidy data plan (use Google Translate if you don't know how to read Chinese. There is a price to be a CM expert after all). I dare you to explain how this will bridge you to your 100M Iphone unit projection given that the entire thread of discussion center on the cost of the data plan is too high.

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-7389912.html

Last edited:

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
Most of Wall Street believes Apple will sell about a few million iPhones, tops, on China Mobile's network. That's out of China Mobile's 750 million subscribers. Apple is estimated to sell about measly 1% of iPhones out of China Mobile's entire user base. Quite a bit of confidence in Apple... NOT! Apple is being majorly disrespected by Wall Street and there's no one from Apple willing to step up and tell them to go to hell. :mad:

I am far from an expert, but I am afraid you have no idea of the situation in China.

The China Mobile deal is good news for Apple, but keep in mind that almost any China Mobile subscriber that wanted and could afford an iPhone already got one. In China there are almost no subsidies for mobile phones. People is used to just buy the phone they want, and you can buy an unlocked iPhone in many places, including the official Apple Store (China).
The main advantage now is that this new version of the iPhone will finally support China Mobile's 3G and 4G standard.

If someone is wondering how anyone could use an iPhone only with 2G (as most international standard phones are not compatible with CM's 3G network), I will tell you that maaany smartphone users in China have a very small data plan (30-100 MB/month) or even no data plan at all. They use mobile data for messaging (text only) and little more.

Sure, Apple will sell a few million of extra iPhones, but not as much as it would seem by looking at the subscribers number. Also, remember that a substantial part of the subscribers have an average month salary of 350$. In those cases, do you think they will buy a 700$ iPhone or, for example, a 120$ Lumia 525 that works perfectly smooth and can do all the things they need? (I am not saying they are the same, but that the Lumia is good enough for what they need)

By the way, covering the shop with promotional materials and showing old videos is cute, but what are the real offers/discounts/deals? I want to know. Chinese will not go like a horde to buy (or renew) a CM iPhone if there is not a clear incentive.

ralfw

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Asia :)

They are so excited they forgot to take the cellophane off the front of the new iMac in the picture.

Hopefully it doesn't burst into flames from overheating. :)

in Asia many cellophane's are NOT removed. it is for keep IT new.
best sample is a new car ... THEY ask NOT to remove the plastic from the seat. Or office chair very often have the plastiuc on the seat.

I think apple will have to print "please remove" on it.

----------

I banned iPhones (and smartphones) from all meetings at work.

so your staff bring the notebook's again :) to the meetings. - I was searching for the ;-) ... so I take you serious :)

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Ignoring

Those have been reduced dramatically too. But bttp, you would be surprised how faster they are running now. This whole falacy about phones getting us closer together... yea, it's great that you can text and Viber and Whatsapp with your buddies in the UK, but you are ignoring people sitting in the same room as you.

The part about ignoring the person sitting in same room is very true!

I'll take it one step further, first I am a die hard Apple Fan, have been for many years and love iPhones/iPads!

But I also am part of a family business and we have 30 employee's, all of them have smart phones (most of them are iPhones). Problem is they spend a considerable amount of time during work hours, so much I did myself a little study, I would watch each employee (cameras throughout & all are aware) for a period of time & write approx. times whenever a employee would be holding & looking down at phone. It turns out to be an average of 3 hours lost that we pay them for. Of course they all say its only a text or? and usually they use the "it's my wife or child, important call" excuse!
We have been very leaniant in our rules about cell phone use, there is none.
However I do believe we are going to have to do something to curb the amount, because as you pointed out, they don't even notice customers or even managers right in front of them!

I love my iPhone/iPad more then most I'm sure, however i know how to respect it in the work place, I just wish more people would!:cool:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The part about ignoring the person sitting in same room is very true!

I'll take it one step further, first I am a die hard Apple Fan, have been for many years and love iPhones/iPads!

But I also am part of a family business and we have 30 employee's, all of them have smart phones (most of them are iPhones). Problem is they spend a considerable amount of time during work hours, so much I did myself a little study, I would watch each employee (cameras throughout & all are aware) for a period of time & write approx. times whenever a employee would be holding & looking down at phone. It turns out to be an average of 3 hours lost that we pay them for. Of course they all say its only a text or? and usually they use the "it's my wife or child, important call" excuse!
We have been very leaniant in our rules about cell phone use, there is none.
However I do believe we are going to have to do something to curb the amount, because as you pointed out, they don't even notice customers or even managers right in front of them!

I love my iPhone/iPad more then most I'm sure, however i know how to respect it in the work place, I just wish more people would!:cool:

Thank you! Folks here talk about meetings being a waste of time,,, how about that? It's scary that a total of 3 hours are lost though not surprising. For one meeting I got a bowl and had everyone drop their phone in it, the meeting ran dramatically faster and was super productive.

We are so brainwashed that we 'need' to know instantly, no wonder why people feel the urge to text even while we're driving

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.