Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I can't see how this is a new thing? As in Didn't samsung do a projector phone before? And when I was at Uni my lecturer had a DVD player built in to his projector (or the other-way round depending on how you look at it!)

But... there is a difference. Apple thingy is a "smart projector including advanced capabilities". See the difference? All other devices are dumb ;)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The weak link: the wall. Very few people have painted their walls in highly reflective white paint....

Zerotolerance

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
New Hampshire
I doubt this will ever see the light of day. Mitsubishi makes a similar product that my college briefly considered installing in each classroom last year but decided against it. The cost of putting a full-fledged computer in each classroom just can't be justified these days when a simple tablet connected to a projector lets teachers do what they need to do in an easier and more cost-efficient way.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
The projector that just works. How very Apple. Today's projectors (or at least the ones I've tried) are a PITA to set up.

Are they really that difficult? I have 3 high end HD projectors (all differnt makes and manufacturers) for work and I literally plug in the source and it automatically switches to that feed. If that doesn't work, I press input/source and it's done.

Where do you run into problems?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Although this sounds interesting, the question I have is the light output of such a device. The biggest problem with smaller projector I have worked with is that the output in Lumens is below 1000 and often significantly below which makes it difficult for use in a lighted room (like a meeting at work). Maybe if the real surprise is that they have addressed that issue somehow.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If this is become the apple tv, I would be ecstatic!
But seriously, this is likely just end up in the shelf... Can't see Apple developing product like this.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I began to use my smartphone as a computer years ago, and today have a Galaxy Note 3, a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and a tiny ASUS LED Video Projector. I hook the lot together using the Samsung MHL microUSB cable to pump 1080P video via HDMI into the projector, fire up the keyboard and Bob's your uncle. The keystoning in the projector works a treat. The whole lot take up less space than the smallest MacBook or Windows laptop. Best of all, the 'computer' components (the Snapdragon 800 powered Note 3), fits in my pocket, shoots 4K video, takes 13MP photos and I can talk on it.

(Typing this on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina with 1TB of SSD, because until Adobe port their suite across to Android or the cloud, a Mac still has it's uses! Namely, creating the content that I display on the aforementioned setup.)

It is an obvious idea, I also had several years ago.

Why even bother with a monitor, screen sizes etc. ?

Want that for an iPhone though, so instead of having to let somebody look at you screen you can project it onto anything and annoy everybody with your family pictures or movies:)

Or, put the projecting capability into the cover of the MBP's

Apple has some miniaturizing to do.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
I'd be very concerned about the heat in that little box. It'd need a whole bunch of fans.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Unless it has a very bright projector.

----------

Granted having an all in one Project/Computer is handy, as it is easier to setup an ad-hoc presentation. However, it doesn't look useful for everyday computing which Apple is better known for.

Most likely it is a patent so when HP or Dell makes one, they need to pay Apple for the patent.

This is not an indictment of Apple, but of the patent process. The portion of your comment I bolded isn't out of the realm of possibility. That's sad. Again, not about Apple. To be granted a patent for an idea seems, at best, counterproductive and inhibits innovation. At it's worst it seems predatory and trollish.

Regarding this patent? Might have been a good idea early to mid 2000's. Technology has changed so much since then.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, I don't see this happening (for mass consumers at least). The bulbs in projectors are expensive and I don't think the average person would stand the expense of replacing them as much as they would need to be (remember, this is the market that tends to prefer getting a new printer over replacing the ink cartridge). This is all assuming the technology for bulbs hasn't changed drastically since I last looked, in which case I could be wrong here.

Either way it seems kinda niche-y for Apple; kinda neat, though.

----------

Although this sounds interesting, the question I have is the light output of such a device. The biggest problem with smaller projector I have worked with is that the output in Lumens is below 1000 and often significantly below which makes it difficult for use in a lighted room (like a meeting at work). Maybe if the real surprise is that they have addressed that issue somehow.

I didn't even think about that, I mean this is enough of a problem (with a lot of people) who have glossy screens in bright setups as it is.

I've never had one so bear with me here: Out of curiousity, how does the power usage of a projector compare to an LED monitor of equivelent function?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Oh good, another patent that will never see the light of day. (I'm going to look like an idiot if this gets announced)

Today you can buy a video camera that has a tiny projector built into it. It adds manyt $100 to the cost and lets you show the videos you just shot in full1080 HD on any white wall. Not a lot of power so the image is small but still you can see it and not have to cary an TV set around with yu in your pocket.

It this were built into an iPhone the you could sow pictures and video n a sheet of paper or a wall or whatever. It is also the roll-up screen people have wanted.

I think however Google glass have more potential for a single user but a projected is best for a small group, better than the tiny phone screen. And these projectors are TINY, like the size of a cellphone camera.

The said, I bet in 50 years "everyone" will be using the "iContact Lens" and screen and projectors will be obsolete

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Copy Cats.....

This idea is as old as the movie "The First 20 Million Is Always The Hardest", where they try and build a computer for under 100 dollars ( 2002 ).

The computer itself ends up being a little object the shape of a lipstick tube that you stand straight up on a flat surface. Out of it spits a hologram keyboard in front of the tube and a screen projection on a surface at 90 degrees, and everything is stored in the cloud, even the software. It's a good movie actually. But as far as Apple being innovative here, I think they are just copying off this old movie.

:mad: :mad:

Last edited:

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Perhaps Griffin or Logitech will make a "touch wall" onto which this will be projected. :rolleyes:

----------

MacBook Pro(jector)?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Are they really that difficult? I have 3 high end HD projectors (all differnt makes and manufacturers) for work and I literally plug in the source and it automatically switches to that feed. If that doesn't work, I press input/source and it's done.

Where do you run into problems?
I think he meant the set up part. ie zooming in/out, adjusting lens shift and focus. Though the patent doesn't mention those things specifically, it does mention the projector adjusting itself somewhat based on the the surface it's projecting on using the in built camera.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So random, I was discussing this exact concept regarding iPad's and tablet's [allegedly] dominating a "post-PC" world and how to solve the need for desktop real estate. As computers shrink, so do their displays. Many need and want larger displays, especially in the creative industry. A system that can project a high res display (on the appropriate surface, another matter), even 4K in the future, is a tantalizing proposition.

----------

That was EXACTLY the idea that spawned my idea of projecting system displays (although the concept I saw years ago used a pen as the projector). Thanks for reminding me and the link.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm starting to think Apple's wasting on these patents..

How many patents does Apple do? And how many of them actually go to retail ?

I would best not this one...,..maybe 50% ?:rolleyes:

Neat idea, and Apple's always there for this crazy patent stuff.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Uh yeah I don't think so

To have a proper projector setup, you need:
1) very bright projector for daytime viewing (which currently cost around $2000 to $20000)
2) decent or good screen for gain (which currently cost $500 or thousands)
3) room surroundings need to have the right paint and control over ambient lighting (installation costs)
4) installation of projector and screens and the wiring (~$1000 or much much higher)

In other words, unless you spend a lot of money on equipment and professional installation (i.e. time and hassle), a good LED TV will be likely better and more versatile as well as more simple.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
In other words, unless you spend a lot of money on equipment and professional installation (i.e. time and hassle), a good LED TV will be likely better and more versatile as well as more simple.

Not so portable though. The advantage of a projector box is that you can set it up quickly and easily anywhere. If Apple can solve the brightness issue that would make one hell of an Apple Television. Plug and play 32-80" UHD TV for a fraction of the cost and you can walk out of the Apple Store with it under your arm.

Let's face it they're not going to sell many 5 grand Apple UHD TV sets. They only shift in volume when the price point drops to the point where nobody is making a decent profit margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.