Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon.jpg
Apple has published a new announcement for developers on its dev center website notifying them that all new App Store submissions must be built with the latest version of Xcode 5 and optimized for iOS 7.
Starting February 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with the latest version of Xcode 5 and must be optimized for iOS 7. Learn more about preparing your apps by reviewing the iOS Human Interface Guidelines.
The new rule goes into effect on February 1, 2014 and means that any apps built on older versions of Xcode or non-iOS 7 optimized apps will be rejected from the App Store.

In addition, this also applies to app updates, providing some inspiration for developers to update their developer tools and optimize their apps for iOS 7 as the updates will be rejected otherwise. Optimizing an app for iOS 7 does not necessarily mean it needs to look different, but that the underlying construction of the app must be optimized for the new OS.

Earlier this month, Apple's App Store usage numbers indicated that iOS 7 had been installed on 74 percent of devices connected to the App Store. The new rule indicates Apple is eager to get developers to take advantage of iOS 7's high adoption rate and make their apps compatible with it to ensure higher user satisfaction.

Article Link: Apple to Require New App Store Submissions to be 'Optimized for iOS 7' on February 1

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Surprised that they weren't already. Hopefully, Mac App Store submission will require to be built for Mavericks.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
This change still won't remove all the ancient apps from the App Store; the apps that were abandoned in the ~iOS 3 era. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
In addition, this also applies to app [updates, providing some inspiration for developers to update their developer tools and optimize their apps for iOS 7 as the updates will be rejected otherwise.

I'd call it motivation.

Earlier this month, Apple's App Store usage numbers indicated that iOS 7 had been installed on 74 percent of devices connected to the App Store.

Their own numbers now say 76%.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
This change still won't remove all the ancient apps from the App Store; the apps that were abandoned in the ~iOS 3 era. :(
Yeah, at some point they should cull apps that haven't been updated in 3+ years (let existing users keep them of course). Still, this is a big step in the right direction.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I find it hilarious they release this after I submitted feedback about them to please update the Keynote Remote app.

I love you, :apple:

:rolleyes:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Question of the day: Does 'Optimized for iOS 7' = no backwards compatibility with iOS 6?

If so, that's going to leave a lot of people out for updates to apps (yes, I'm looking at the rest of us, jailbreak community)..

BL.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Question of the day: Does 'Optimized for iOS 7' = no backwards compatibility with iOS 6?

If so, that's going to leave a lot of people out for updates to apps (yes, I'm looking at the rest of us, jailbreak community)..

BL.
As the previous poster said, iOS 7 apps can support iOS 6. That said, as a developer I can tell you that it does take extra programming and testing time better spent on new features and optimizations. Apple let's users download the latest version their device can support. Considering that 95% of people will be on iOS 7 within a few months, developers should not be wasting resources on iOS 6 compatibility.

Last edited:

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I hate ios 7, as do most of my friends who updated without knowing the change would be so great for them. Yes their are good features in ios 7, but not enough to want to update.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
This is a step backward. And part of the new "order" that Ive explained in june-2013. Now the metro copy UI is mandatory. iOS7 brings nothing new to the world of tech or design.

I will go to vomit now, take care.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
This is a step backward. And part of the new "order" that Ive explained in june-2013. Now the metro copy UI is mandatory. iOS7 brings nothing new to the world of tech or design.

I will go to vomit now, take care.
Go right ahead. Your vomit will fertilize the earth. Nobody cares. Meanwhile, Ive's work- iOS 7 + iPhone 5S- is going to make Apple very, very, merry this Christmas.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
'7'th heaven is my hell. I have to invert colors on my iPhone for comfortable viewing of most apps in low light.
Funny, iPhone users spend most of their time reading text in Safari, which has always been black on white, yet nobody ever complained. Your whining will fall on suitably deaf ears... Better start shopping elsewhere.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
In case some of you negative nancies missed this, it does not mean the apps need to LOOK like Apples iOS 7 apps. They can look however they want. They simply need to be built using the latest XCode and adopt new frameworks. You know, to ensure applications are at the very least COMPATIBLE with 7 and perform well. Kind of important when 3/4 of the install base is running 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.